White Sox sign Brett Phillips

10 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Getz will lose credibility if they play Sheets anywhere but 1B or DH beyond some emergency.

Gallo is my first choice for a starter for under $10M among available capable RF. Duvall is cromulent because he can also cover CF with a Colas call up, might be a better option in that aspect.

Think you can better flip Gallo if he can find his HR stroke, abs he’s a better bet to last the season.

Gallo is the guy that every team keeps saying "maybe he'll find his HR stroke this year and we can flip him, he HAS to be better than last year." It's the same thing every year.

At some point we need to accept that Gallo is who he is.

That said, this isn't a competitive team trying to win ballgames so I'm not concerned about fooling myself into thinking Gallo will actually be good. I'd be ok with him on this bad team as a (hopefully) entraining bat to hit some dingers. Wouldn't be opposed to that move.

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

I just can’t believe Moustakas hasn’t been acquired. This whole offseason has been a joke.  Go find some offense.

Chris Getz has an entire contact list that's just "former Royals."

1 hour ago, SoxAce said:

Getz bringing as many all glove, no bat guys as he can find.

At least it's an improvement over the parade of "no glove, no bat" guys.

50 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

This move still doesn't get Sheets out of the OF, but there is still time. Just sign like Robbie Grossman or someone if you don't get an immediate MLB OF in a Cease deal.

Man, if you can't get a RF via the Cease deal, just let Colas learn in the bigs.  Robbie Grossman does absolutely nothing to move this org forward.  

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Can't believe how bad this roster is going to look and be and end up with the 10th pick lol

I felt like once the Sox got hosed in the lottery, it might have changed their stance on 2024 roster construction.  If you can't do better than the 10th pick, and you're in a god awful division, you may as well try to scrap together a passable club on short term deals.  Since the winter meetings, the Sox look closer to a team that is tanking (for no benefit) than a team that is attempting to at least stay afloat in the ALC.  Its so gross. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, chw42 said:

This guy is perfect when you need a position player to pitch. 

He did that a few times with the Rays. He’s a good guy and good with the glove but can’t hit a lick. He had a couple of walk off homers with the Rays but that was about it.

Edited by The Mighty Mite

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

I felt like once the Sox got hosed in the lottery, it might have changed their stance on 2024 roster construction.  If you can't do better than the 10th pick, and you're in a god awful division, you may as well try to scrap together a passable club on short term deals.  Since the winter meetings, the Sox look closer to a team that is tanking (for no benefit) than a team that is attempting to at least stay afloat in the ALC.  Its so gross. 

These signings are what they should be doing if they could pick higher than 10th. This is how the roster should look if they wanted the #1 pick. I don't think they would be doing anything different.

Edited by Bob Sacamano
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Getz will lose credibility if they play Sheets anywhere but 1B or DH beyond some emergency.

Gallo is my first choice for a starter for under $10M among available capable RF. Duvall is cromulent because he can also cover CF with a Colas call up, might be a better option in that aspect.

Think you can better flip Gallo if he can find his HR stroke, abs he’s a better bet to last the season.

If Sox are married to burying Colas in AAA for most of the season, Gallo is a logical choice.  The guy blows, but at least has some upside and will play above average defense.  I imagine he'd probably prefer to play for a team that has a prayer at competing, tho. 

1 minute ago, The Mighty Mite said:

He did that a few times with the Rays. He’s a good guy and good with the glove but can’t hit a lick. He had a couple of walk off homers with the Rays but that was about it.

He's hilarious. 

• Love 1

1 minute ago, Timmy U said:

Great, they'll lose 5-2 instead of 6-3.

That sweet sweet run differential will keep them warm at night while losing 100+ and gaining a meager 10th pick. Holy f*** this team is boned.

• Paper Bag 2

9 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

110 vs 112. Woohooo?

Yeah, it's a lost season already anyways.

Just sign guys who can occupy positions until prospects are ready and not rushed.

Otherwise, find guys who can be flipped for value later.

That's really about it. Phillips falls into the "guys who can occupy positions" category.

• Like 1