Grifol: DeJong, Lopez, Maldonado are good on offense

Quin

I know Spring Training is fluffy than marshmallows, but his interview with Vinnie Duber was hysterical.

Time-stamped for your listening pleasure (misery)?

• On DeJong: "Has done it before. He didn't lose it. It's still there." - Hit .207 last year, was released by 2 teams. Hit under .200 in 2021 and 2022.
  • On Lopez: "He hit .300 in the American League a few years ago." - So did former batting champion Tim Anderson! Lopez is a career .249 hitter, so 2021 is currently an outlier.
  • On Maldonado: "I don't feel that he's a .180 hitter." - Technically correct since 2019. He's been a .191 hitter in five seasons since then.

Grifol is going to be like TLR with Leury Garcia with us, but with 3 terrible hitters.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5
  • Paper Bag 3

12 minutes ago, Quin said:

I know Spring Training is fluffy than marshmallows, but his interview with Vinnie Duber was hysterical.

Time-stamped for your listening pleasure (misery)?

• On DeJong: "Has done it before. He didn't lose it. It's still there." - Hit .207 last year, was released by 2 teams. Hit under .200 in 2021 and 2022.
  • On Lopez: "He hit .300 in the American League a few years ago." - So did former batting champion Tim Anderson! Lopez is a career .249 hitter, so 2021 is currently an outlier.
  • On Maldonado: "I don't feel that he's a .180 hitter." - Technically correct since 2019. He's been a .191 hitter in five seasons since then.

Grifol is going to be like TLR with Leury Garcia with us, but with 3 terrible hitters.

He's an idiot.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1

10 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

He's an idiot.

I absolutely cringe every time the man speaks.  I would love to see the Sox surprise this season and play some level of interesting baseball for a few months, but if the season goes off the rails, one benefit is that clown hopefully being jettisoned to the moon. 

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I absolutely cringe every time the man speaks.  I would love to see the Sox surprise this season and play some level of interesting baseball for a few months, but if the season goes off the rails, one benefit is that clown hopefully being jettisoned to the moon. 

There's no way he makes it past this season. Were going to lose 95+ games, I don't think there is any way that you can bring him back.

He almost makes Terry Bevington, the man who went to the mound and signaled for a reliever with no one warming up, seem competent. 

I would hope someone from the White sox tells him the fanbase reading this crap is not THAT dumb.

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

This is going to be a loooooong season if people are hanging on this dude's every word.

Oh, I was just listening to the podcast walking my dog when I heard that line and had a moment of "this dude is truly awful at the spin."

Just say that you expect the best from them, we're working with them, etc. 

A lot like his team, Grifol likes to make unforced errors.

9 minutes ago, Quin said:

Oh, I was just listening to the podcast walking my dog when I heard that line and had a moment of "this dude is truly awful at the spin."

Just say that you expect the best from them, we're working with them, etc. 

A lot like his team, Grifol likes to make unforced errors.

of all things, this one I don't care about.  I don't expect a manager to come out and say "these guys suck, see you in 2030."

• Like 1

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

of all things, this one I don't care about.  I don't expect a manager to come out and say "these guys suck, see you in 2030."

You are better off saying nothing than saying something obviously untrue. Give a meaningless word salad, its fine, just don't lie to our faces.

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Does he think we are stupid? We can Google players' stats.

The bigger problem is when he acts on this stuff. When he says they can hit just fine in the spring, then in August he insists that they need to get their at bats because we're trying to win games. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

He almost makes Terry Bevington, the man who went to the mound and signaled for a reliever with no one warming up, seem competent. 

I would hope someone from the White sox tells him the fanbase reading this crap is not THAT dumb.

The organization thinks we are though 

56 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Some things are so obvious, you either insult the intelligence of the people who pay to watch your team, or if you really believe it, you shouldn't be doing what you are doing. Of course this is the team that signed an aging catcher to be an example, and he got dinged for jaking it to first base the very first spring training game. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

Some things are so obvious, you either insult the intelligence of the people who pay to watch your team, or if you really believe it, you shouldn't be doing what you are doing. Of course this is the team that signed an aging catcher to be an example, and he got dinged for jaking it to first base the very first spring training game. 

I mean if people want to waste their time being offended by anything this group does this season... sure have at it.  But good lord, we all know what is out there in 2024.  This team and everything about it are going to be awful.  If you feel the need to be offended by that, I don't get it, but sure.

• Like 2