2024 White Sox Opening Day thread 3/28 3:10 first pitch vs Detroit

4 hours ago, tray said:

The Opener is always a wonderful experience win or lose and yesterday was no exception. GRate was in top condition and showed no signs of deterioration inside or any need for replacement It doesn't. The field was in optimum condition and will look even better when the ivy in Center field greens up. Tailgating was as it always is for an Opener, crazy good with tremendous camaraderie  among Sox fans including sharing barbecue tricks, food and spirits and memories of prior seasons and games. I had some great interactions with other fans tailgating before the game and after the game at Cork and Kerry.

As you know, Crochet was fantastic and our bullpen held the game within striking distance. Luck was not with the Sox on that day. A few balls were smashed by Sox hitters including a deep line drive by Eloy that the LFer made a shoestring catch on. That one could have changed the game. Eloy was on everything and could easily have sent the game into extra innings with one swing.  Baez taunted us by throwing a balls at the screen in front of us and exchanging  some bad looks and verbal taunts. Maybe Grifol should order a few brush back pitches when he comes up next time.

The biggest problem this season will be Cub trolls that are aimed at trying to depress Sox fans and spin everything in the most negative light. Many of them are on this forum... really negative people.

Meanwhile, the Sox know what they have to do including  bolstering the bottom  half of the line-up with one or two guys that can hit for power and constantly looking to improve the rotation. This team needs to start adding some talent instead of looking to trade it away.

Rip on South Loop location…  check.

Fluff Eloy…  check.

Strangely call out Cubs trolls that don’t exist…  check.

Yep, that’s a tray post.

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, A-Train to 35th said:

You mean the speedster Vaughn or the one who runs like he's carrying a piano on his back.

I don't think this Sox team is going to have an issue clogging the bases. Considering the two guys ahead of him went 0-8 and Vaughn had the best ABs of the day, imma go with batting him 2nd might actually have gotten us a runner to 2B yesterday.

But, if you want to insist on 100 year old tropes, fine, I'm not going to argue further.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I know why they do it. I still HATE the off day after the opener.

It doesn’t bother me too much. Working from home, there’s at least games to watch in the afternoon. Can’t say that about other sports.

2 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

It doesn’t bother me too much. Working from home, there’s at least games to watch in the afternoon. Can’t say that about other sports.

I'm kinda strange in that while I will watch other NBA or NFL games outside my teams, I probably will watch under 20 innings all year of non Sox games. I'll  listen to the Mariners radio broadcast but as far as tuning into a non sox game, just doesn't interest me.

Just now, chitownsportsfan said:

I'm kinda strange in that while I will watch other NBA or NFL games outside my teams, I probably will watch under 20 innings all year of non Sox games. I'll  listen to the Mariners radio broadcast but as far as tuning into a non sox game, just doesn't interest me.

I don’t in my free time. During the work day though, it’s needed background noise. And I can only re-watch my favorite shows and movies so many times haha

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

I don’t in my free time. During the work day though, it’s needed background noise. And I can only re-watch my favorite shows and movies so many times haha

I'm still a sucker for sports talk radio. I usually have WKJR on at work. I get the need for a background noise that why I like putting on the Mariners radio, just reminds me of nice warm summer nights.

10 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I don't think this Sox team is going to have an issue clogging the bases. Considering the two guys ahead of him went 0-8 and Vaughn had the best ABs of the day, imma go with batting him 2nd might actually have gotten us a runner to 2B yesterday.

But, if you want to insist on 100 year old tropes, fine, I'm not going to argue further.

Didn't Bill James disprove the "base clogger" meme? Like, there's a level of base running proficiency, or non-proficiency, that detracts from a player's production. If he's on 2nd, and can only make it to 3rd on a double, that's bad. But I think Vaughn's OBP would outweigh his inability to score from 2nd on a single. 

And seriously, watching this team in spring training, they have to put 5 guys on base safely to score a run. They're already station to station. Get more guys who can reach first, then worry about unclogging the base paths. 

• Haha 1

Just now, WestEddy said:

Didn't Bill James disprove the "base clogger" meme? Like, there's a level of base running proficiency, or non-proficiency, that detracts from a player's production. If he's on 2nd, and can only make it to 3rd on a double, that's bad. But I think Vaughn's OBP would outweigh his inability to score from 2nd on a single. 

And seriously, watching this team in spring training, they have to put 5 guys on base safely to score a run. They're already station to station. Get more guys who can reach first, then worry about unclogging the base paths. 

Isn't this a sunshine blower account? Careful. That kinda talk is dangerously close to the reality of this 2024 Sox club.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Isn't this a sunshine blower account? Careful. That kinda talk is dangerously close to the reality of this 2024 Sox club.

I understand that this place gets so reflexively negative, even sober takes on the reality of this team are seen as happy talk. 

But if you don't have a dream, how you gonna have a dream come true?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, WestEddy said:

I understand that this place gets so reflexively negative, even sober takes on the reality of this team are seen as happy talk. 

But if you don't have a dream, how you gonna have a dream come true?

Here's a dose of reality:

https://chicago.suntimes.com/white-sox/2024/03/29/white-sox-again-provide-depressing-sense-of-deja-vu

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I didn't realize it was an argument, or a trope, it was nothing more than a question.

3 hours ago, DFAthewave69420 said:

You missed the point.  The "rule" is moronic.

I love the pitch clock and wouldn't want to go back watching guys adjust their batting gloves 10 times or a pitcher taking his damn sweet time between pitches.  Step in the box, and throw the ball, and play ball.