White Sox bring Mike Clevinger back, pending physical

4 minutes ago, Quin said:

download (20).jpg

I didn't like them hiring Getz at the time and wished they did a more extensive search and interview process. 

That being said, its unfair to him to simplify it like this.  He obviously is doing things differently than the last regime.  If the system wasn't developing enough players while he was the farm director, that could fall on him.  It also could fall on the guys picking the players.  It also could fall on his bosses not listening to him in terms of promotions/demotions etc.  Its hard to tell from our point of view.  

"Getz was director of player development, therefore every move he makes is bad,.. even when its an insignificant move like DFAing a fringe prospect that he failed to develop in his prior capacity as farm director"  sounds like a nonsense take to me.  

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

I'm not arguing that Getz is great, good, or even competent. But it gets tiresome having to pretend that every single move this team makes is tragically horrible, and then we all whine that we can no longer be White Sox fans because we're dead inside. 

A significant portion of the fanbase has just been pouting for the last 10 months.  The rebuild failed.  It sucks.  They are bad now. Get over it.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1

6 minutes ago, Nardiwashere said:

A significant portion of the fanbase has just been pouting for the last 10 months.  The rebuild failed.  It sucks.  They are bad now. Get over it.  

It's not that simple, I think Sox fans would be more willing to give the new guy a chance if he was a qualified individual from a successful organization. The fact that it's Getz to most is a change in name only, and is seen to most as a continuation of the Hahn/KW regime until proven otherwise. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Fire 1

1 minute ago, baseball_gal_aly said:

It's not that simple, I think Sox fans would be more willing to give the new guy a chance if he was a qualified individual from a successful organization. The fact that it's Getz to most is a change in name only, and is seen to most as a continuation of the Hahn/KW regime until proven otherwise. 

I think it is that simple.  The guy turned over an incredible % of the roster in one offseason.  His top assistants in the front office are all from outside the organization.  He has clearly been operating differently than the previous guys.  People just like to b****. 

We don't know if he'll end up being any good at his job... but so far it doesn't seem like a change in name only.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, baseball_gal_aly said:

Louder for the ppl in the back

You mean, louder for the people chanting the same thing without offering any evidence of anything? 

I would love one of the experts here to point to a player - "Nate Pawelczyk. He was a can't miss staff ace, and Chris Getz drilled holes in his arm and poured weak juice in it and ruined him." Anything. 

I look at the 2018 draft. Right in the middle of Getz's directorship, and they had 10 draft picks make the majors. Even if they sat on the bench for a game, they made the majors. 10 guys. As opposed to, like, 2 from previous drafts. 10. 

The White Sox are not a good organization for acquiring and developing talent. Marco Paddy seems to be having more success than Dave Wilder, but not off the charts. Nick Hostetler seemed to be better than, I don't know... Doug Laumann? Mike Shirley seems to have more solid drafts than Hostetler did. National guys, like Keith Law are saying that the Sox have made clear advancements in areas. He was actually kind of bullish on our system in a spring interview with Jim Margalus. 

9 minutes ago, baseball_gal_aly said:

It has been proven otherwise. Everybody screamed about hiring from within. Getz brought in people from other organizations. He's changing the focus of international scouting. We'll see what the 2024 draft looks like. 

But to declare it to be a continuation of Hahn/KW is just lazy. Again, I get not liking the hire, and being slow to offer any positive feedback on anything until he shows he's not a lapdog. Great. But there are clear differences in approach. 

Keeping Nastrini and Montgomery at AAA to further develop is one clear difference. 

Weird how all the people who were wailing about Nastrini making the rotation after only a small amount of AAA innings aren't stepping up and voicing their approval for starting him off in Charlotte. I get it that the Clevenger signing mutes everything else. 

• Hawk 1

8 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

It has been proven otherwise. Everybody screamed about hiring from within. Getz brought in people from other organizations. He's changing the focus of international scouting. We'll see what the 2024 draft looks like. 

But to declare it to be a continuation of Hahn/KW is just lazy. Again, I get not liking the hire, and being slow to offer any positive feedback on anything until he shows he's not a lapdog. Great. But there are clear differences in approach. 

Keeping Nastrini and Montgomery at AAA to further develop is one clear difference. 

Weird how all the people who were wailing about Nastrini making the rotation after only a small amount of AAA innings aren't stepping up and voicing their approval for starting him off in Charlotte. I get it that the Clevenger signing mutes everything else. 

"He's just a continuation of the previous regime"

As if the team had hired Josh Barfield to run the whole thing, people would magically be content.  hahaha no way.  

Edited by Nardiwashere
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Nardiwashere said:

"He's just a continuation of the previous regime"

As if the team had hired Josh Barfield to run the whole thing, people would magically be content.  hahaha no way.  

I don’t think Barfield would be hiring and signing a ton of people from an awful Royals organization due to “comfortability”

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

I don’t think Barfield would be hiring and signing a ton of people from an awful Royals organization due to “comfortability”

Bingo. 

I'd rather they have given Barfield the top job than Getz. I'd be far more optimistic. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

The Royals thing is fun to joke about and all but its kind of overblown.  

Who has Getz signed/hired besides some stopgaps like Nicky Lopez and Tim Hill?

Everyone was convinced we'd get Salvador Perez and Whit Merrifield.  That didn't happen.

Everyone was certain that Dayton Moore was coming.  That didn't happen. 

Getz was buddies with Bannister from his days in KC.  So what?  Bannister worked for Boston and SF and did good things.  Should they not have brought him on board because they had a KC connection?

Am I missing any super important signing/hiring that was given to a KC person longterm?  Anyone who gets a job is going to hire people they previously worked with.  Its how the world works.  

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Nardiwashere said:

Everyone was convinced we'd get Salvador Perez and Whit Merrifield.  That didn't happen.

Getz was buddies with Bannister from his days in KC.  So what?  Bannister worked for Boston and SF and did good things.  Should they not have brought him on board because they had a KC connection?

Am I missing any super important signing/hiring that was given to a KC person longterm?  Anyone who gets a job is going to hire people they previously worked with.  Its how the world works.  

Gene Watson

• Paper Bag 2

7 minutes ago, fathom said:

Gene Watson

Ok. forgot about him. 

I'm sure the over the top complaining surrounding the organization and Getz is based on the director of player personnel hire.  Sox fans are a sophisticated bunch.  

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Nardiwashere said:

low-angle-view-scarecrow-against-cloudy-

3 minutes ago, Nardiwashere said:

Ok. forgot about him. 

I'm sure the over the top complaining surrounding the organization and Getz is based on the director of player personnel hire.  Sox fans are a sophisticated bunch.  

You "forgot" the main hire Getz made, a guy that is ostensibly 3rd of 4th in power in the org, and you're calling others unsophisticated fans?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Nardiwashere said:

Ok. forgot about him. 

Jin Wong

Just now, chitownsportsfan said:

You "forgot" the main hire Getz made, a guy that is ostensibly 3rd of 4th in power in the org, and you're calling others unsophisticated fans?

No.  I am saying the vast majority of people who are crying are not doing so because they have reservations about Gene Watson.....  And out of the people that do fall into that group?  I'm willing to bet most of it doesn't go beyond a superficial "Watson = KC = bad."  

Do you think the average (or even most die hard) fan can tell you much about Gene Watson's scouting ability or any details about his ability to do the job he has?

Go outside the ballpark and ask 100 people who Gene Watson and see what the responses are. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WestEddy said:

Oh, and if we're discussing successes and failures, Getz just took an often injured reliever and turned him into a staff ace. Success. 

1 hour ago, Lip Man 1 said:

He's made two starts, I think it is a bit early to be declaring he's an "ace" of any kind yet.

He may turn out to be but with very little track record it is hard to say. 

Exactly. Plus he was drafted as a starter and was thrown into the bullpen by the last POS GM. It’s the right move to make him a starter again, but it’s the obvious move and not something I’m giving him a ton of credit for.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Nardiwashere said:

No.  I am saying the vast majority of people who are crying are not doing so because they have reservations about Gene Watson.....  And out of the people that do fall into that group?  I'm willing to bet most of it doesn't go beyond a superficial "Watson = KC = bad."  

Do you think the average (or even most die hard) fan can tell you much about Gene Watson's scouting ability or any details about his ability to do the job he has?

Go outside the ballpark and ask 100 people who Gene Watson and see what the responses are. 

I think the majority of people are "crying" because for all of our lives the Sox have been a horse s%*# club under JR and his "friends and family" plan is seemingly endless. The next time he hires someone firmly outside the org, outside established White Sox thinking will be the first. It's been a series of yes men and internal promotions to bums going on 50 years.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2