Jose Rodriguez Traded to Phillies for $

ChiSox59

1 hour ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Again, the league just told you what he’s worth. 

The league also told Getz what DeJong, Lopez, Pillar, and a myriad of bum relievers were worth, yet he chose to acquire them anyways.  I would have chose to retain the 22 year old that may still have a future, unlike the bums that Getz kept.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

My guy this is no place for clear rational thoughts.  The inmates are running the asylum.  

The same guy who has been pumping up Getz since his hiring, along with his awful offseason acquisitions of a bunch of corpses?  Maldonado is basically an immobile scarecrow behind the plate and should have been put out to pasture, yet you are still hyping him up.  Let’s just say you may not have an unbiased opinion on things…

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

I do not envy Getz. He inherited the worst situation I can remember for any team I follow. The whole org including 97% of the players needs to be scraped off the Earth and something new built in its place. I love Popeye's athleticism and energy, but I watched him play a lot last year. If you think Sosa and Colas don't control the zone, they're Frank Thomas compared to Rodriguez.  I get that they just didn't believe in him. Rightly of wrongly. They also didn't believe in Mena. Possibly wrongly.  There is such little talent, majors or minors, that the F.O. is going to have to do a lot of crazy things just to field a Washington Generals team for the rest of the league to beat up on.  Fact is, we're not even in year zero yet.  This is year -1 where we lose 110 games and pick 11th while some team that lost 92 games picks Ethan Holliday. All these vets are for Grifol. I think they're hoping to save his job. Good luck with that. Hopefully, they fire him, then hire someone who will play and develop some of their younger guys, and get competitive around 2028?  Until then, we just have to enjoy the absolute suckitude.

• Like 3
  • Paper Bag 1

1 minute ago, WestEddy said:

The Phillies are a bottom third system, and Rodriguez clocks in at 28. 

He was 17 with the Sox.  Regardless, he’s 22 years old and the Sox have plenty of old trash on their 40-man roster.  Perhaps Rodriguez pans out, perhaps he doesn’t.  Just like with Fletcher, you never know.  Besides, I’d rather have the 22 year old prospect on my roster than the numerous quantity of old and bad players the Sox currently have.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Again, the league just told you what he’s worth. 

Yeah he’s worth preserving on the forty man roster of a stronger organization than the Sox

• Thanks 4

17 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

He was 17 with the Sox.  Regardless, he’s 22 years old and the Sox have plenty of old trash on their 40-man roster.  Perhaps Rodriguez pans out, perhaps he doesn’t.  Just like with Fletcher, you never know.  Besides, I’d rather have the 22 year old prospect on my roster than the numerous quantity of old and bad players the Sox currently have.

You have Lenyn Sosa and Bryan Ramos already on the 40-man. Sosa does the same thing as JoseRod, but better. You then have Zach Remillard and Danny Mendick off the 40-man, who are pro players who can actually start in the majors for a week. Right behind JoseRod, you have Brooks Baldwin at AA, who actually looks like a much better utility infielder than JoseRod. 

The real problem with Jose Rodriguez is that it took him so long to develop, he had to be 40-manned well before he was even close to the majors. The big step backwards he took last year put him even farther away.

For the guys saying to just throw Speas in the bullpen, you still have to get 27 outs. If Speas isn't even ready to pick off one or two of those outs, what exactly is the point of rostering him? 

15 minutes ago, BigHurt3515 said:

Are the White Sox paying you now? This is just ridiculous 

How does being able to understand why a move was made, and not becoming irrationally angry over it translate to being Chris Getz, or working for the White Sox? 

9-10 worse teams took a pass on him. A bottom third minor league system took him, and he's their 28th best prospect on MLB.com. The Sox already have better options on the 40-man, and better options right behind him who are progressing in ways that Popeye wasn't. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

You have Lenyn Sosa and Bryan Ramos already on the 40-man. Sosa does the same thing as JoseRod, but better. You then have Zach Remillard and Danny Mendick off the 40-man, who are pro players who can actually start in the majors for a week. Right behind JoseRod, you have Brooks Baldwin at AA, who actually looks like a much better utility infielder than JoseRod. 

The real problem with Jose Rodriguez is that it took him so long to develop, he had to be 40-manned well before he was even close to the majors. The big step backwards he took last year put him even farther away.

For the guys saying to just throw Speas in the bullpen, you still have to get 27 outs. If Speas isn't even ready to pick off one or two of those outs, what exactly is the point of rostering him? 

How is Leone helping us get outs with his 11.57 ERA and 20.32 FIP?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

They are?  Those two guys are roster chaff.  Remillard was DFA in January and the Sox were able to outright him to Charlotte as no other team claimed him.  Mendick is also working on a minor league deal because he was so bad with the Mets last year.  Neither was on the 40-man and would be easy cuts.  You could re-sign them back if you ever wanted them.

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Honestly, pretty much anyone else, even some of the non 40 man guys at AAA.  I’d also rather throw Alex Speas to the wolves than give any innings to either of these guys (and yes, it would probably be a disaster).  Also, why did we trade for Horn if he’s not ready to contribute?  And what has Josimer Cousin done to warrant a 40 man spot at the moment?  Does his ceiling really warrant a spot when we’re forced to cut young talent to make room to pitch garbage innings for the major league team?

And I while I’m picking on Leone & Shaw because they are very old and bad, there are plenty of old & bad position players as well.  The infield group has a ton of guys who won’t be here next year and/or are just bad.  Carrying both Pillar & Grossman seems like a complete waste of limited roster spots.  

I’m not going to lose sleep over trading Popeye for cash, but the way this 40 man is being managed is highly questionable.  Most of thought the veterans they added like DeJong were meant to be cheap placeholders who would be cut when young guys started pushing for roles.  The problem is we are now adding more and more of them to turn a steaming pile of s%*# into just a flaming piece of s%*#.  I simply don’t get the logic of what Getz is doing here.

As I said elsewhere, your pitching staff has to get 27 outs. If Speas or Horn aren't even prepared to pick off 2 or 3 of those outs, what's the point? Horn was obtained for the same reason you want to keep Popeye on the 40-man. To develop. Josimer Cousin hired an agent who put a 40-man deadline into his contract. 

Getz added Grossman to get a bat into the lineup. One guy. Popeye wasn't pushing for a spot in the MLB lineup. He hadn't even shown up to his minor league assignment, yet. He took so long to get to AA detritus that Hahn panicked and put him on the 40-man. Then he regressed. Popeye tops out as a utility infielder who can't take a walk. He hit 270 at AA, I believe, and couldn't even clear a 300 OBP. 

As I said elsewhere, your pitching staff has to get 27 outs. If Speas or Horn aren't even prepared to pick off 2 or 3 of those outs, what's the point? Horn was obtained for the same reason you want to keep Popeye on the 40-man. To develop. Josimer Cousin hired an agent who put a 40-man deadline into his contract. 

Getz added Grossman to get a bat into the lineup. One guy. Popeye wasn't pushing for a spot in the MLB lineup. He hadn't even shown up to his minor league assignment, yet. He took so long to get to AA detritus that Hahn panicked and put him on the 40-man. Then he regressed. Popeye tops out as a utility infielder who can't take a walk. He hit 270 at AA, I believe, and couldn't even clear a 300 OBP. 

And Horn is already 26 and getting beat up at AAA.  You have no problem retaining Horn but not the 22 year old infielder who has shown recent success with both power and speed tools?

Edited by WhiteSox2023

4 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

How does being able to understand why a move was made, and not becoming irrationally angry over it translate to being Chris Getz, or working for the White Sox? 

9-10 worse teams took a pass on him. A bottom third minor league system took him, and he's their 28th best prospect on MLB.com. The Sox already have better options on the 40-man, and better options right behind him who are progressing in ways that Popeye wasn't. 

Other teams passing on him is irrelevant to the point being made here.  Other teams actually have legit talent on their 40 man roster and Popeye isn’t a good prospect to force his way onto every other club’s roster.  Our 40 man is lacking proven young talent and has tons of veteran trash that will be gone five months from now.  As such, Popeye has more intrinsic value to us than most clubs.

Also, when you say we already have “better options on the 40-man”, in what context do you mean?  Better to win right now?  Better bet to be a long-term solution at some spot?  

• Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

They are?  Those two guys are roster chaff.  Remillard was DFA in January and the Sox were able to outright him to Charlotte as no other team claimed him.  Mendick is also working on a minor league deal because he was so bad with the Mets last year.  Neither was on the 40-man and would be easy cuts.  You could re-sign them back if you ever wanted them.

Neither Remillard or Mendick need to be cut, as they're not on the 40-man. And I'm not sure why you keep saying that they could cut guys then resign them. I guess there are other options on the market equal to them.

If you think both of them are "chaff", Popeye is worse. The end. Jose Rodriguez is also an easy cut. He tops out as a utility infielder who can't take a walk, and by the time he "developed", he'd be out of options, and have to be cut, anyway. 

15 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

And Horn is already 26 and getting beat up at AAA.  You have no problem retaining Horn but not the 22 year old infielder who has shown recent success with both power and speed tools?

I'm not really sure why everyone is arguing Popeye vs. AAA relievers who got beat up by Norfolk. Relievers are fungible, and they only have 2-4 guys who can shuttle back and forth between AAA and MLB. A team doesn't go through utility infielders at the rate they go through bullpen arms. Why should I have a problem retaining a AAA bullpen arm over a guy who is stuck at AA and regressing?

Edited by WestEddy

8 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

Neither Remillard or Mendick need to be cut, as they're not on the 40-man. And I'm not sure why you keep saying that they could cut guys then resign them. I guess there are other options on the market equal to them.

If you think both of them are "chaff", Popeye is worse. The end. Jose Rodriguez is also an easy cut. He tops out as a utility infielder who can't take a walk, and by the time he "developed", he'd be out of options, and have to be cut, anyway. 

Yes, I understand that as I stated that neither guy was on the 40-man roster.

Since you are so good at projecting prospects and Rodriguez will only ever be a utility infielder, what are both Fletcher and Mena’s ceilings since you were a big fan of that trade?

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

How is Leone helping us get outs with his 11.57 ERA and 20.32 FIP?

Leone helps more in the major league bullpen than Popeye does watching TV at his mom's house, right now. Or even more than Popeye struggling at AAA. 

Leone helps more in the major league bullpen than Popeye does watching TV at his mom's house, right now. Or even more than Popeye struggling at AAA. 

Leone is great. A huge HELP. Popeye yet another Getz developmental failure.

17 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Other teams passing on him is irrelevant to the point being made here.  Other teams actually have legit talent on their 40 man roster and Popeye isn’t a good prospect to force his way onto every other club’s roster.  Our 40 man is lacking proven young talent and has tons of veteran trash that will be gone five months from now.  As such, Popeye has more intrinsic value to us than most clubs.

Also, when you say we already have “better options on the 40-man”, in what context do you mean?  Better to win right now?  Better bet to be a long-term solution at some spot?  

And Popeye isn't good enough to force his way onto the worst roster in baseball, right now. He regressed at AA, then when promoted, regressed more. Other teams passing on him is totally relevant. Because it's not just "bad roster management by Getz". The league holds Popeye in low regard. 

And we have better options on the 40-man in all regards you can imagine. Lenyn Sosa is much closer to being a major league utility infielder than Popeye is. Sosa is raking at AAA, and Popeye didn't cut it last year at AAA. 

4 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Leone is great. A huge HELP. Popeye yet another Getz developmental failure.

No, even though Getz was the Director of Player Development when Rodriguez was acquired, Jose was always ditching school and watching TV at his mom's house so he never benefited from Getz’s wise tutelage.  Not Getz’s fault.

Edited by WhiteSox2023

7 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Yes, I understand that as I stated that neither guy was on the 40-man roster.

Since you are so good at projecting prospects and Rodriguez will only ever be a utility infielder, what are both Fletcher and Mena’s ceilings since you were a big fan of that trade?

I've told you this multiple times. Have you not printed it out and had it framed, yet? Fletcher could be the strong half of a RF/CF platoon. He has hit at the major league level. If you say "small sample size", then I will submit Popeye's much larger sample size of AA PAs over 2 years that show him regressing as a hitter. 

Mena looks to be a back-of-the-rotation arm. The Sox have a good half dozen of those at the higher levels, and felt they could deal one to fill another area of need. 

3 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

And Popeye isn't good enough to force his way onto the worst roster in baseball, right now. He regressed at AA, then when promoted, regressed more. Other teams passing on him is totally relevant. Because it's not just "bad roster management by Getz". The league holds Popeye in low regard. 

And we have better options on the 40-man in all regards you can imagine. Lenyn Sosa is much closer to being a major league utility infielder than Popeye is. Sosa is raking at AAA, and Popeye didn't cut it last year at AAA. 

Nicky Lopez can’t hit his weight or OPS .500.  What would the difference be?  🤣

• Paper Bag 1

9 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

This isn’t just about Popeye for me.  Why can’t Speas be given the innings that are going to Leone?  What would be the difference in actual production?

• Thanks 2