Jose Rodriguez Traded to Phillies for $

ChiSox59

2 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

And they are prioritizing the long term by removing a non-prospect from their 40-man roster. 

You keep arguing about situations that have nothing to do with Popeye. None of Pillar, Grossman, DeJong, Lopez, or Sheets are occupying spots a utility infielder at AA (who hasn't even reported, yet) would take. 

By the time that Rodriguez progressed out of AA then AAA, he'd probably be out of options, and they'd have to roster or cut him, anyway. 

It's great you can name players you don't like and decide they could be cut instantly. We have plenty of fat, you say, but you cry every time somebody gets cut or traded. 

They just literally dealt Speas to Oakland for cash.

6 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

There are a few better players that signed for a pittance.  You will say that they wouldn’t have signed with the Sox, but that would only be true if you could go inside all of their heads and assume they wouldn’t sign with the Sox for perhaps half a mill or a mill more over a contender, which you can’t.

And you can't assume that X amount of money would have made them choose a notorious dysfunction situation over a club that will be in playoff contention. I keep posing the question - what makes you think a player would take slightly more money to lose all year, then get uprooted and not see his family regularly for 3 months when he has an offer for a stable situation sitting on the table? 

And why do you need the White Sox to overpay for players? Benintendi should have been a 3 year deal. They probably had to offer him 5 to get him to pick Chicago. 

Just now, WestEddy said:

And they are prioritizing the long term by removing a non-prospect from their 40-man roster. 

You keep arguing about situations that have nothing to do with Popeye. None of Pillar, Grossman, DeJong, Lopez, or Sheets are occupying spots a utility infielder at AA (who hasn't even reported, yet) would take. 

By the time that Rodriguez progressed out of AA then AAA, he'd probably be out of options, and they'd have to roster or cut him, anyway. 

It's great you can name players you don't like and decide they could be cut instantly. We have plenty of fat, you say, but you cry every time somebody gets cut or traded. 

lol…I have complained about who?  DFAing the 26 year old Speas and 22 old Rodriguez?  Who else?  And you’re right, I’m complaining about Getz’s general roster management and not specifically Popeye.  I have now said this five times in this very thread.  I get it, the world would have imploded if we would given Speas the handful of innings that went Leone and his double digit ERA.

6 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

And you can't assume that X amount of money would have made them choose a notorious dysfunction situation over a club that will be in playoff contention. I keep posing the question - what makes you think a player would take slightly more money to lose all year, then get uprooted and not see his family regularly for 3 months when he has an offer for a stable situation sitting on the table? 

And why do you need the White Sox to overpay for players? Benintendi should have been a 3 year deal. They probably had to offer him 5 to get him to pick Chicago. 

Neither of us will be able to prove our points one way or the other, which is why I’m not arguing the point.  But the cheap free agent position players available that were better than DeJong, Pillar, etc. were Rosario, Grichuk, and Taylor.

Benintendi shouldn’t have been signed at all.  Like most of the rest of the roster, he’s terrible.

Edited by WhiteSox2023

10 minutes ago, nrockway said:

oh, I thought that was just good practice, didn't know it was an actual rule. Anyway, you may be right, it just seems to me that at this stage of a rebuild, you'd want to take flyers on young players who might show something rather than jettison them. He had a weak first half at AA last year but finished strong, I just think there was time left for him to compete for a spot on the major league team at a position we desperately need to fill

You just can’t have more than 13 pitchers. You can carry 14 position players if you want to 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

lol…I have complained about who?  DFAing the 26 year old Speas and 22 old Rodriguez?  Who else?  And you’re right, I’m complaining about Getz’s general roster management and not specifically Popeye.  I have now said this five times in this very thread.  I get it, the world would have imploded if we would given Speas the handful of innings that went Leone and his double digit ERA.

Getz’s roster management has been non-stop ass clownery, considering where the Sox are at.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Trading Mena and Thompson. Well, you are complaining about Popeye every time you reference him. You could be doing all of this over cutting Moustakas if it truly wasn't about Popeye. 

7 hours ago, bmags said:

Consistent, embarrassing arguments that we shouldn’t make a big deal about the small, dumb decisions because we should, what, save our energy for the bigger, harder decisions they’ll inevitably f*** up? I have enough energy; yall dont need to worry.

Until the Sox actually build a roster of accomplishment, if something looks dumb, I will assume it is 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Neither of us will be able to prove our points one way or the other, which is why I’m not arguing the point.  But the cheap free agent position players available that were better than DeJong, Pillar, etc. were Rosario, Grichuk, and Taylor.

Benintendi shouldn’t have been signed at all.  Like most of the rest of the roster, he’s terrible.

DeJong's a better defensive shortstop, and Taylor would have had to sign on for a platoon spot in a corner, when he's still a starting centerfielder. I don't think it's a stretch to think he was holding out for a starting CF job. 

Just now, WestEddy said:

Trading Mena and Thompson. Well, you are complaining about Popeye every time you reference him. You could be doing all of this over cutting Moustakas if it truly wasn't about Popeye. 

Cutting Moustakas and going with Sheets isn’t making the roster older.

And yeah, I didn’t like the Fletcher trade because of the specific players involved, both who we gave up and who we acquired.  And I didn’t necessarily dislike the Horn trade, just felt it was a bit odd given where we are at in our rebuild.  Losing Matt Thompson isn’t a real concern of mine.

And guess what, I’m probably one of the biggest fans of the Cease trade (and even like Wilson).  I just gave Getz credit for the Fedde signing and moving Crochet to the rotation and Kopech the bullpen.  I don’t look to hate to feed any intrinsic desire to be miserable.  I’m simply confused by some of these moves and general strategy and will continue to be skeptical of Getz until the vision becomes more clear and he has some wins under his belt.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I don’t look to hate to feed any intrinsic desire to be miserable.  I’m simply confused by some of these moves and general strategy and will continue to be skeptical of Getz until the vision becomes more clear and he has some wins under his belt.

Sorry that you get clumped in my mind with the actual nay-sayers who are making little sense in their arguments. I think where this team sits today is well beyond even the worst imagined scenarios that were bandied about. 7 games in, everybody but Sheets and Lee are slumping, then Eloy and Robert on the IL. At least Sosa's starting tonight. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

They had an open 40-man slot. I didn't see anybody cut their worst 40-man person to take on Popeye. 

So, when they get one more guy they’re gonna trade Rodriguez for Cash. Love  that Cash guy, he gets around 

Edited by Chick Mercedes
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Chick Mercedes said:

So when they get one more guy they’re gonna trade Rodriguez for Cash. Love  that Cash guy, he gets around 

Going to be Norm Cash at the rate Getz is currently going, making it both an old AND increasingly bad roster.

Edited by caulfield12
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

Sorry that you get clumped in my mind with the actual nay-sayers who are making little sense in their arguments. I think where this team sits today is well beyond even the worst imagined scenarios that were bandied about. 7 games in, everybody but Sheets and Lee are slumping, then Eloy and Robert on the IL. At least Sosa's starting tonight. 

Thanks Eddy.  Yeah, I’m hoping Sosa can show something.  Just need some reasons to watch.  Honestly, I’ve enjoyed watching the pitching for the most part, with some obvious exceptions.  The lineup is just so brutal with its mix of underachievers and just plain bad hitters.  Got to hope some of the young guys can slowly grab more of the playing time.  Even if they end up being nothings, being able to dream the slightest of dreams with guys like Shewmake & Lee is more fun than witnessing the complete mediocrity of the two Andrew’s

• Like 2

1 hour ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

There are a few better players that signed for a pittance.  You will say that they wouldn’t have signed with the Sox, but that would only be true if you could go inside all of their heads and assume they wouldn’t sign with the Sox for perhaps half a mill or a mill more over a contender, which you can’t.

Who are all these players you speak of? You haven’t mentioned any yet!

Just now, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Who are all these players you speak of? You haven’t mentioned any yet!

I mentioned three players that I would rather have acquired than DeJong, Lopez, Pillar, etc. if Getz was only going to sign cheap flip candidates that were bad last year.  Rosario, Grichuk, and Michael A. Taylor.

3 hours ago, fathom said:

For most of those guys, they probably get back a bottom top 30 prospect that they eventually DFA down the road.   Only Fedde, Kopech and Wilson strike me as ones that could possibly raise their value.  

Those are the ones I mentioned and Crochet of course. Fedde doesn’t seem like the type that’s going to get a ton of strikeouts so he needs a solid D behind him. He reminds me a lot of Lorenzen and I think could have a very similar first half to what Lorenzen produced for the tigers last year. Lorenzen returned a 45 FV prospect last July (that could be a top 15 prospect for the Sox). I’d gladly take a return of that and another flier for Fedde. As for Crochet, I have no idea how to asses his value. It could be insane if he keeps this up for another 2.5 months.

5 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

I mentioned three players that I would rather have acquired than DeJong, Lopez, Pillar, etc. if Getz was only going to sign cheap flip candidates that were bad last year.  Rosario, Grichuk, and Michael A. Taylor.

And none of those guys move the needle at all. You aren’t flipping those guys for anything meaningful at the deadline.

1 minute ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

And none of those guys move the needle at all. You aren’t flipping those guys for anything meaningful at the deadline.

All three are better than the guys Getz signed and have the potential to have a good first half.  The guys Getz acquired have zero chance.

• Like 1

Just now, WhiteSox2023 said:

All three are better than the guys Getz signed and have the potential to have a good first half.  The guys Getz acquired have zero chance.

Those three guys would return absolutely nothing at the trade deadline just like the position players Getz signed. At least the position players Getz signed play very good defense which helps the pitchers about to be traded.

1 minute ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Those three guys would return absolutely nothing at the trade deadline just like the position players Getz signed. At least the position players Getz signed play very good defense which helps the pitchers about to be traded.

We’ll see.  Even a flier prospect is better than nothing.