4/6 Games

BamaDoc

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

I know we’ve discussed this before, but he’s our number 1 prospect IMO.  I think he’s Sale reincarnated. Montgomery’s stock plummets for me if he can’t play SS.

The upside may be insane, but he’s got to pitch more than 40 innings in a season before he passes Montgomery as top prospect.

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I’m actually shocked at how bad it is.  You’d think most orgs would have plenty of semi interesting prospects pushing for playing time in Low A.

That's the consequences of cutting draft rounds/more NCAA hitters...but you'd think even with one less affiliate in the low minors it wouldn't be THIS bad.

3 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

That's the consequences of cutting draft rounds/more NCAA hitters...but you'd think even with one less affiliate in the low minors it wouldn't be THIS bad.

I just feel like if you have a halfway decent LatAm operation you should have three toosly, but flawed positional guys ready for a shot at full season ball.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I just feel like if you have a halfway decent LatAm operation you should have three toosly, but flawed positional guys ready for a shot at full season ball.

You're absolutely right.

And it's not even like Paddy has much of a choice...if you take away spreading money across numerous teenagers, you're constantly chasing older guys like Cousin, Cespedes, Yogurt Sanchez etc.

• Like 2

Coffey is basically a slider-heavy guy, but you could imagine him being part of the bullpen rotation in the next year or so. They're going to audition 500 guys. I could imagine him being one of them.

32 minutes ago, chitown87 said:

Is it too much to ask for you to keep this bullshit in the big league threads?

I like to follow the minors. 

I'm really excited about Schultz, if Monty performs at Charlotte I'll buy in more. He has minimal experience in the upper minors. 

2 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Even Keith Law likes the guy.

I know, but he hasn't done much in his short time in the upper minors. 

I'm of the wait and see opinion until he has more time in Charlotte. I thought AAA was really aggressive after his performance at AA last year. 

I didn't say I thought he sucked. I said I wasn't sure about him. I need to see more. 

8 minutes ago, baseball_gal_aly said:

I know, but he hasn't done much in his short time in the upper minors. 

I'm of the wait and see opinion until he has more time in Charlotte. I thought AAA was really aggressive after his performance at AA last year. 

I didn't say I thought he sucked. I said I wasn't sure about him. I need to see more. 

"I don't know if he is any good" and "overhyped" isn't the same as wait and see.

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

"I don't know if he is any good" and "overhyped" isn't the same as wait and see.

It isn't? 

Ok then. I meant wait and see, not that he sucks. Obviously all of the scouting publications are high on him for a reason. When I said I wasn't sure if he was any good I meant that as a not completely buying in until I see some success in the upper minors. Not that he sucks. That was absolutely not the point I intended to get across.

I think Keith Law is the lowest on Montgomery and I think he rates him fairly. That's my opinion. He's still a definite top 100 prospect but I'm not so sure about top 25 in the game until he does more in the upper minors. 

2 minutes ago, baseball_gal_aly said:

It isn't? 

Ok then. I meant wait and see, not that he sucks. Obviously all of the scouting publications are high on him for a reason. When I said I wasn't sure if he was any good I meant that as a not completely buying in until I see some success in the upper minors. Not that he sucks. That was absolutely not the point I intended to get across.

I think Keith Law is the lowest on Montgomery and I think he rates him fairly. That's my opinion. He's still a definite top 100 prospect but I'm not so sure about top 25 in the game until he does more in the upper minors. 

What is the difference between #25 and #42?

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

Spoiler alert, he's 5'6"

I know and you were you capable of having a rational convo you'd know why...

There are exceptions to the height if they have a tool or two that can overcome it. 

Nishida has a good hit tool, but he also should not be at Kanny so it's going to appear better for now. He should be at WS.

It's also about expectation. I wouldn't expect him to be much more than maybe a utility type. Possibly he could be starter but his hit tool will have to be very high once he gets to the upper minors. 

Hell i think Dylan O'Rae in the Brewers org is going to soar up rankings (including mine) this year and he is only 5'7" but he has a great hit tool, speed that rivals or tops Victor Scott and Chandler Simpson, and exceptional plate discipline. 

3 minutes ago, Polar Bear said:

I know and you were you capable of having a rational convo you'd know why...

There are exceptions to the height if they have a tool or two that can overcome it. 

Nishida has a good hit tool, but he also should not be at Kanny so it's going to appear better for now. He should be at WS.

It's also about expectation. I wouldn't expect him to be much more than maybe a utility type. Possibly he could be starter but his hit tool will have to be very high once he gets to the upper minors. 

Hell i think Dylan O'Rae in the Brewers org is going to soar up rankings (including mine) this year and he is only 5'7" but he has a great hit tool, speed that rivals or tops Victor Scott and Chandler Simpson, and exceptional plate discipline. 

Disqualifying one guy because he is 5'8", but not the guy who is 2 inches shorter isn't rational.  Neither is talking about a "hit tool" for a guy who topped out at .312 in college at age 22, but ignoring it for someone who hit .314 in pro ball at age 18 with better power numbers.

4 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Disqualifying one guy because he is 5'8", but not the guy who is 2 inches shorter isn't rational.  Neither is talking about a "hit tool" for a guy who topped out at .312 in college at age 22, but ignoring it for someone who hit .314 in pro ball at age 18 with better power numbers.

The DSL isn't pro ball. Its high school juniors on a dirt field vs pitchers that can't pitch. And I've never disqualified him outright. 

Mogollon's power will evaporate when he comes stateside.  He didn't show enough speed or enough of a hit tool to expect it to continue stateside either. 

Thus no tool for him, in my opinion, is good enough to project him to be more than a guy that will stall at AA or AAA

Aslo, you do know College is the equivalent of A+, AA if its the SEC. 

The DSL is the equivalent of JV in high school at times.  At times varsity 

2 minutes ago, Polar Bear said:

The DSL isn't pro ball. Its high school juniors on a dirt field vs pitchers that can't pitch. And I've never disqualified him outright. 

Mogollon's power will evaporate when he comes stateside.  He didn't show enough speed or enough of a hit tool to expect it to continue stateside either. 

Thus no tool for him, in my opinion, is good enough to project him to be more than a guy that will stall at AA or AAA

Aslo, you do know College is the equivalent of A+, AA if its the SEC. 

The DSL is the equivalent of JV in high school at times.  At times varsity 

Even after a 5-5 day, Nishida is hitting .220 in his pro career with 3 XBHs. He's 23 years old in low A ball playing at two and a half years above the league average.  

Mogollon is doing his work in an age appropriate setting (actually almost a year under league average) and putting up far superior numbers across the board.

12 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Even after a 5-5 day, Nishida is hitting .220 in his pro career with 3 XBHs. He's 23 years old in low A ball playing at two and a half years above the league average.  

Mogollon is doing his work in an age appropriate setting (actually almost a year under league average) and putting up far superior numbers across the board.

Looking at how people played in the same season after being drafted is not wise.  If you did that, Dylan Crews is utter trash according to you (he hit .208 with 0 HRs at AA)