C Edgar Quero

On 4/18/2024 at 10:23 AM, southsider2k5 said:

This is exactly what they should have done. It was obvious he was leaving.  Back up the truck and get what you can for him.

No one was going to give up much for a rental player of his caliber.  Hindsight  is easy.  They tried. 

8 hours ago, kitekrazy said:

No one was going to give up much for a rental player of his caliber.  Hindsight  is easy.  They tried. 

They might not have gotten as much as the year before,  but they would have gotten a lot.

7 hours ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Exactly. Promote him to AAA at some point, but don't fast track him to the MLB. 

They should fast track Maldonado out of the organization.

• Like 3
  • Paper Bag 1

2 minutes ago, oldsox said:

I think Sox mgt agrees with you guys, that is, don't rush Quero.  I think they are waiting for Stassi to get off the Injured List, and then DFA Maldonado.

Well he just got shifted to the 60 day, so we’re still 5 weeks from that. But ya, Sox are kinda stuck with Maldonado for now. Doesn’t mean they need to play him 5x a week. 

1 hour ago, ChiSox59 said:

Well he just got shifted to the 60 day, so we’re still 5 weeks from that. But ya, Sox are kinda stuck with Maldonado for now. Doesn’t mean they need to play him 5x a week. 

Bring up Perez, Hackenburg, or Robinson. It would be impossible to be worse.

2 hours ago, PaleAleSox said:

Bring up Perez, Hackenburg, or Robinson. It would be impossible to be worse.

Perez is no longer a catcher.  Don't believe he has caught a single inning in AAA this year - playing 1B.  

They could just call up Robinson I suppose and then DFA him when Stassi is ready. I doubt they want to put Hackenburg on the 40 man yet because its already fairly crowded and he's at least mildly interesting.  With all the vets on the 40 man, its makes the 40 man fairly inflexible. 

1 hour ago, ChiSox59 said:

Perez is no longer a catcher.  Don't believe he has caught a single inning in AAA this year - playing 1B.  

They could just call up Robinson I suppose and then DFA him when Stassi is ready. I doubt they want to put Hackenburg on the 40 man yet because its already fairly crowded and he's at least mildly interesting.  With all the vets on the 40 man, its makes the 40 man fairly inflexible. 

Sox have the most flexible 40 man in the league. Like 30 people don’t belong on it. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Paper Bag 2

44 minutes ago, PaleAleSox said:

Sox have the most flexible 40 man in the league. Like 30 people don’t belong on it. 

Right, but they need to field a major league roster.  They have a bunch of bad players, but don't really have that many no brainer DFA candidates.  Its the downside to signing to many shitty veterans.  No one is going to lose sleep over DFAing Lopez, or DeJong, or Grossman, or Pillar, etc., etc., but they also don't really have anyone in the upper minors to replace these guys either. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Right, but they need to field a major league roster.  They have a bunch of bad players, but don't really have that many no brainer DFA candidates.  Its the downside to signing to many shitty veterans.  No one is going to lose sleep over DFAing Lopez, or DeJong, or Grossman, or Pillar, etc., etc., but they also don't really have anyone in the upper minors to replace these guys either. 

How the duck did we get here?

• Paper Bag 1

3 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

Here's a prediction: Stassi never catches an inning in Chicago.  I could see Chuckie Robinson coming up once Maldonado is named manager. 😉

Quero is coming pretty fast. I believe he will get a cup of coffee in September.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

Here's a prediction: Stassi never catches an inning in Chicago.  I could see Chuckie Robinson coming up once Maldonado is named manager. 😉

Quero is coming pretty fast. I believe he will get a cup of coffee in September.

Does he need to be added to the 40-man roster this offseason? If not, I’d rather they wait until early next year just to make it easier to maneuver the 40-man and to not rush him.

2 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Does he need to be added to the 40-man roster this offseason? If not, I’d rather they wait until early next year just to make it easier to maneuver the 40-man and to not rush him.

From what I've seen, he's forcing the issue. Guys tell you when they're ready. We're 15 games into the season, so it's early, but he looks like what future major leaguers are supposed to look like.

For the record, Quero has to be added to the roster within 5 years of January 2021, so no. But it is hardly a waste of a 40 man space to have your starting catcher on the roster.  Stassi and Maldonado are gonna be gone as are Moncada, Eloy, DeJong, Lopez, Pillar, Grossman, Clevinger, Hill, and many others. There's gonna be room.

2 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

It could be argued that they haven't done that all season long.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Timmy U said:

I have had that thought that Maldonado is the replacement for Grifol. Would be such a JR move.