Getz: Record “frustrating” but rebuilding takes time

https://www.mlb.com/whitesox/news/white-sox-score-season-high-9-runs-in-win-over-rays#:~:text=Speaking before club's season-best,focus is on strengthening foundation&text=CHICAGO -- Amid one of,month into the 2024 season.

Notice it was the author of the story and not Getz who used the term rebuilding.

Getz did call Grifol “steady,” lol, not sure if that’s a vote of confidence.

“We’re at a point right now where we’re trying to go out there and score more runs,” Getz said before the game. “There are some younger players on this roster. We will continue to add younger players as the season progresses. Some of those veteran guys that have been through situations -- perhaps like this before or have a proven track record -- can help in the development of players at the Major League level.”

When asked about Pedro Grifol, Getz used the word “steady” to describe the second-year manager during this tough start. He discussed what he looks for when evaluating Grifol, which includes how he communicates with players and his in-game decisions.

…..

“Anyone from an outside perspective [will say], ‘Why did we do that? Why didn’t we do that?’” Getz said. “More so, I really focus on the development of our players, and are we on the right track to getting those guys to be productive Major League players? That is the most important thing right now.”

As the White Sox look to get things on track, their general manager’s continued evaluation of the present and beyond will continue.

"I've just got to focus on how to get us better and getting this organization healthy,” Getz said. “I've got to have a big-picture mindset. This wasn't going to be a quick fix by any stretch. We had a lot of areas that need to be improved. It's my job to do that and make good decisions for the health of the organization."

Edited by caulfield12

Getz has lost all credibility when he mis-led us saying the Sox would be competitive this year. As long as Reinsdork is around we will always have 2nd and third rate GMs, Managers and Coaches and a farm system that can’t develop or produce Major League players.

• Like 2
  • Paper Bag 1

The Athletic has a few stories this week absolutely destroying the Sox organization. Here is how one of those stories ended:

"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result. Unless you’re the Chicago White Sox. Then it’s business as usual."

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

44 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

The Athletic has a few stories this week absolutely destroying the Sox organization. Here is how one of those stories ended:

"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result. Unless you’re the Chicago White Sox. Then it’s business as usual."

Signing vets a year past when they should have retired has been a White Sox staple since Kenny was first running the show, and it hasn’t changed since with Hahn and now Getz.  It doesn’t work, they have proven it doesn’t work, yet they keep doing it because of our cheap d-bag of an owner.  Quite frankly, f*** them all.

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Hilarious to look back at these quotes now, as if any fans bought into this BS they were selling.

Yep. And I think most of us here saw through their bullshit and were offended that they couldn't just talk straight with us. We know what this is. 

They either look incompetent for thinking it WASN'T a rebuild, or liars for trying to convince us.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Signing vets a year past when they should have retired has been a White Sox staple since Kenny was first running the show, and it hasn’t changed since with Hahn and now Getz.  It doesn’t work, they have proven it doesn’t work, yet they keep doing it because of our cheap d-bag of an owner.  Quite frankly, f*** them all.

It goes back to at least the 80s.  They signed George Foster, Steve Carlton, Charlie Hough, Jose Canseco in the 90s.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, FloydBannister1983 said:

It goes back to at least the 80s.  They signed George Foster, Steve Carlton, Charlie Hough, Jose Canseco in the 90s.

Tom Seaver 1992 1984-1986
Steve Carlton 1994 1986
Larry Doby 1998 1956-1957, 1959
Roberto Alomar 2011 2003-2004
Ron Santo 2012 1974
Ken Griffey Jr. 2016 2008
Jim Thome 2018 2006-2009

1 hour ago, ScootsMcGoots said:

I can think of a few on this forum that did 😉

Especially if you ACTUALLY  read the entire quote to realize he wasn't talking about a quick rebuild,  and that he was talking about quick internal evaluations, which is exactly what has happened as Getz has done nothing but dump internal players. 

2 hours ago, caulfield12 said:
Steve Carlton 1994 1986
Ron Santo 2012 1974
Jim Thome 2018 2006-2009

Seaver, Thome, Hough all produced. Even Canseco in 2001 had a decent year for them.

16 hours ago, caulfield12 said:
Steve Carlton 1994 1986
Ron Santo 2012 1974
Jim Thome 2018 2006-2009

Seaver wasn’t really washed up when they signed him.  He was a couple years removed from a Cy Young and was pretty productive with the Sox.  Thome was productive but I think that was by accident.  The rest were typical waste of time.

I like this trend that's starting to develop where I get up for a couple of minutes and I come back and the White Sox have scored a run. 2 runs at that. Bizarro Sox or Bizarro D Rays? Both?

edit: definitely meant to post this in the game thread.

Edited by nrockway
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, FloydBannister1983 said:

Seaver wasn’t really washed up when they signed him.  He was a couple years removed from a Cy Young and was pretty productive with the Sox.  Thome was productive but I think that was by accident.  The rest were typical waste of time.

Thome hit 134 home runs in three and a half years with the Sox, that was no accident. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Thome hit 134 home runs in three and a half years with the Sox, that was no accident. 

He played 59 games before arriving in Chicago at age 35. He maxed out at 108 after.  It was a miracle he was relatively healthy while he was in Chicago.

Edited by FloydBannister1983