White Sox acquire Corey Julks from HOU for RHP Luis Rodriguez, option to AAA, recall Dom Fletcher, Ortega DFA'd

15 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

No. "Logical baseball opinions" is written inside the heart. 

Lmao, it's a common tactic for people that lack facts or any logical argument to jump straight to nonsensical insults, like you enjoy: Your tattoo comment, implying Getz haters wear diapers or have low paying careers.

You can't "logically" defend him, so you try to take low blows and defend a panicky GM without a genuine plan that can't construct a decent team.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

I think people like to whine just for the sake of it. Julks is an actual good player who's proven to be and you've never heard of Luis Rodriguez until opening this thread. He isn't very good, he isn't Cristian Mena. This actually seems stupid from the Astros side of things but I guess they want to role with Cabbage as their fourth OF, a guy they got in a similar move as this one from the Angels. And bats from the other side of the plate which seems to be a weakness in the Astros lineup. I think Julks is better than Cabbage, just right-handed.

Julks is probably a weak side platoon guy so I don't think this necessarily blocks Oscar. Kind of seems like the Sox just shuffled Grossman/Rodriguez for Julks/Hoopii-Tuionetoa. So a moderate increase in talent without really giving anything up. Fireable offense evidently

Edited by nrockway
  • Thanks 3

19 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

Trading a young prospect for a AAAA player.  

Hard to understand.

In general, can anyone explain the rationale behind why Getz is trading young prospects for 26+ year old guys, with where the Sox are right now?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Rather see them hold onto those younger guys on the off chance something clicks than these guys who will be DFA’d in 2 weeks tops.

All things equal (and without knowing anything about the particular players), you'd rather have the younger guy.  That's fine.  

But if you deal a couple of them that you don't think will "click" ion order to get guys you do want, its not the end of the world.  Definitely not "fire-able" or "malpractice."

• Like 1

1 minute ago, nrockway said:

I think people like to whine just for the sake of it. Julks is an actual good player who's proven to be and you've never heard of Luis Rodriguez until opening this thread. He isn't very good, he isn't Cristian Mena. This actually seems stupid from the Astros side of things but I guess they want to role with Cabbage as their fourth OF, a guy they got in a similar move as this one from the Angels. 

Julks is probably a weak side platoon guy so I don't think this necessarily blocks Oscar. Kind of seems like the Sox just shuffled Grossman/Rodriguez for Julks/Hoopii-Tuionetoa. So a moderate increase in talent without really giving anything up. Fireable offense evidently

The Astros are flailing and he can't crack their roster, where is this good player nonsense coming from.

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Quin said:

The Astros are flailing and he can't crack their roster, where is this good player nonsense coming from.

The PCL inflated .800+ OPS is my guess and I don't even care about this trade since I'd be shocked if Rodriguez amounts to anything but nothing about Julks's profile indicates he is good at the MLB level.

Edited by whitesoxfan99
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, nrockway said:

I think people like to whine just for the sake of it. Julks is an actual good player who's proven to be and you've never heard of Luis Rodriguez until opening this thread. He isn't very good, he isn't Cristian Mena. This actually seems stupid from the Astros side of things but I guess they want to role with Cabbage as their fourth OF, a guy they got in a similar move as this one from the Angels. And bats from the other side of the plate which seems to be a weakness in the Astros lineup. I think Julks is better than Cabbage, just right-handed.

He is an actual good player?  Huh?  What evidence supports that?

Edited by WhiteSox2023

1 minute ago, Quin said:

Lmao, it's a common tactic for people that lack facts or any logical argument to jump straight to nonsensical insults, like you enjoy: Your tattoo comment, implying Getz haters wear diapers or have low paying careers.

You can't "logically" defend him, so you try to take low blows and defend a panicky GM without a genuine plan that can't construct a decent team.

I have logically defended Chris Getz's tenure as director of player development. And when I calmly answered the taunts of 4-5 of you, all y'all became sad, and deleted the string. I gave Seby Zavala as an example of a catcher whose defense was developed in organization - and you pretend I'm calling him an All-Star, or something. 

I get it. The hatred for Getz is such that every single move has to be thoroughly bashed as incompetent and panicky. But your rage now has you and SS2k5 stalking my comments, making sure I don't hurt anyone's feelings by not bashing Getz enough.

Just now, Quin said:

The Astros are incompetent and think Cabbage is a better fit. They also thought Jose Abreu would be a good fit. Or Cabbage is shiny and new, it's a marginal move regardless, and he might actually offer something they don't already have. Reminder, this is a marginal move and not every guy under the age of 22 is created equal as a "lottery ticket". This is basically cash considerations personified, it frankly seems like good practice to trade marginal pitching prospects. The difference between this one and Mena is that Mena isn't a marginal prospect. 

Posted (edited)
51 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

He is an actual good player?  Huh?  What evidence supports that?

statistics. watching him play. certainly, that's stronger logic than "well Chris Getz did it, a man whom I'm clearly in love with and whose face I dream of sitting on, so it must be wrong". 

Edited by nrockway
  • Like 1

Just now, nrockway said:

The Astros are incompetent and think Cabbage is a better fit. They also thought Jose Abreu would be a good fit. Or Cabbage is shiny and new, it's a marginal move regardless, and he might actually offer something they don't already have. Reminder, this is a marginal move and not every guy under the age of 22 is created equal as a "lottery ticket". This is basically cash considerations personified, it frankly seems like good practice to trade marginal pitching prospects. The difference between this one and Mena is that Mena isn't a marginal prospect. 

The Astros have had more success in the last 7 years than the White Sox in their franchise history. Seven straight ALCS appearances, two World Series titles, and two more World Series appearances.  You have the wrong franchise as the incompetent one.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

I have logically defended Chris Getz's tenure as director of player development. And when I calmly answered the taunts of 4-5 of you, all y'all became sad, and deleted the string. I gave Seby Zavala as an example of a catcher whose defense was developed in organization - and you pretend I'm calling him an All-Star, or something. 

I get it. The hatred for Getz is such that every single move has to be thoroughly bashed as incompetent and panicky. But your rage now has you and SS2k5 stalking my comments, making sure I don't hurt anyone's feelings by not bashing Getz enough.

So much logic here and in a joke about rape, right?  GTFOH with this victim complex.

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, nrockway said:

The Astros seem to have a glut of RH-bat outfielders, and Julks was at the bottom of their list. They DFAed him to grab old friend Alex Speas off waivers. 

4 minutes ago, nrockway said:

statistics. watching him play. certainly, that's stronger logic than "well Chris Getz did it, a man whom I'm clearly in love with with him and whose face I dream of sitting on, so it must be wrong". 

Can you show me these statistics that you are referring to that show 28 year old Julks is a good major league player?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

So much logic here and in a joke about rape, right?  GTFOH with this victim complex.

Victim complex? LOL. Dude, that actually happened. If you want to scold me for something, at least learn what the terms you're throwing around mean. I should stop here, because 3 or 4 admins will start taunting me for a few pages, then accuse me of ruining the thread. 

Posted (edited)
56 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

Rodriguez - from Fangraphs:

Rodriguez is a 20-year-old, 6-foot-2 righty who dominated the 2023 DSL with an 88-90 mph fastball and an above-average curveball.

You played this same game with Christian Mena already (trying to crap on him cuz Getz traded him away), and those posts now look very stupid considering Fletcher had to be sent down because he was so bad and he still didn’t even earn this latest call-up.

Edited by WhiteSox2023

7 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Can you show me these statistics that you are referring to that show 28 year old Julks is a good major league player?

1 minute ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

You played this same game with Christian Mena already (trying to crap on him), and those posts now look very stupid considering Fletcher had to be sent down and still didn’t earn this new call-up.

Tell me why Luis Rodriguez is good other than age.  It sounds like you know a lot about him.  

• Fire 1

1 minute ago, Nardiwashere said:

Tell me why Luis Rodriguez is good other than age.  It sounds like you know a lot about him.  

Tell me why any GM of a team where the Sox are at should ever be trading anyone for 28 year old players?  If Julks was in his early to mid-20’s, at least I could understand.

3 minutes ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

A lot of hand waving over bottom of the roster churning. Fletcher getting recalled is the biggest move here.

I will be honest, based on their AAA numbers, I would rather see Julks get a run here.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, baseball_gal_aly said:

God, Getz seems to be a downgrade from Hahn. 

Goes to show that we should be careful what we wish for. 

Idc if this kid turns out to be nothing. This is a fireable offense on principle

Ice cold.