1b of the future

Posted (edited)

Any thoughts on the White Sox future at 1b? Does that player exist in our farm right now, or do future trades or free agency locate the guy that replaces Vaughn/Sheets? 

It doesn’t seem too long ago that we were heavy on unathletic 1b-types that had potential power, but were limited everywhere else in the field but DH. Now I can’t seem to clearly see one in our system unless you go to Kannapolis (Ryan Galanie, 0.355 ba, 3 HR, 22 RBI, 1.040 ops). 

However, first base may be the easiest to locate someone from another position. Does anyone think Billy Baldwin or Wilfred Veras in AA could position switch to 1b? I really don’t know, but I am tired of the duo of Vaughn/Sheets for 2025. If even we can drop one of them and get a replacement there would be nice. 

Edited by SouthSideGeorgia

Our offense prospect pile in the minors right now is pretty slender.  Maybe a guy like Quero slots over if KLee keeps up his good work, but no one especially stands out today just because of a big lack of true power bats in the system with any real decent looking future.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Probably Nick Kurtz or Jac Caglianone who they'll get the 2024 draft.  Sucks that it seems decently likely we'll end up with a 1B in the draft. 

I'd take Jac if he falls to #5 and let him be a 2-way player as long as it's viable.

Otherwise, pass on first base types in the first round. Contention isn't imminent, so live with Vaughn/Sheets for this year, see if Elko can build patience at the plate, or pray another dude flashes power and arrives.

Wild card: Danny Mendick alters his swing, becomes our power hitting first baseman.

3 minutes ago, Quin said:

I'd take Jac if he falls to #5 and let him be a 2-way player as long as it's viable.

Otherwise, pass on first base types in the first round. Contention isn't imminent, so live with Vaughn/Sheets for this year, see if Elko can build patience at the plate, or pray another dude flashes power and arrives.

Wild card: Danny Mendick alters his swing, becomes our power hitting first baseman.

And I thought Andrew Vaughn looked short as a 1b… 😆

24 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Figure out later. Someone could move there later if they need to or just try to sign a {position here} when the time comes.

Top Secret White Sox internal memo regarding talent development. Circa 1980 and never updated. 

Posted (edited)

Maybe Colson Montgomery ends up there, esp if guys like Gonzalez and Baldwin keep playing well, not to mention Ramos sticking at third.

Edited by oldsox
  • Like 3

Hot take:

Cease blows out his arm in 2026 and can't pitch again.

Sox sign him in the spring of 2028 as a 32-year-old hitting prospect who overcomes the odds and becomes our power hitting first baseman.

...because he'd play for the league minimum, and Jerry would value his loyalty. (Jerry lives to be 120 in this version of reality, because we can't have nice things)

• Paper Bag 1

I think they go out and sign Alonso.  The Soto tier free agents will never be feasible under Jerry, but Pete might be in that theoretical sweet spot.  In all honesty, if you look at our future needs it’s 1B and OF that are our biggest holes and the latter will be much easier for us to pull off a splashy signing.

19 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

Probably Nick Kurtz or Jac Caglianone who they'll get the 2024 draft.  Sucks that it seems decently likely we'll end up with a 1B in the draft. 

I don't think that's necessarily true. Lots of Griffin/Rainer smoke.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I think they go out and sign Alonso.  The Soto tier free agents will never be feasible under Jerry, but Pete might be in that theoretical sweet spot.  In all honesty, if you look at our future needs it’s 1B and OF that are our biggest holes and the latter will be much easier for us to pull off a splashy signing.

Alonso would be out of Jerry's price range

8 minutes ago, Snowy Demon said:

Pete Alonso is giving me Ryan Howard and Chris Davis vibe. 

At some point you have to take a gamble.  I see few free agents that can potentially be difference makers that are even in the realm of possible.  Alonso is one of the few and even he may be stretch.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

At some point you have to take a gamble.  I see few free agents that can potentially be difference makers that are even in the realm of possible.  Alonso is one of the few and even he may be stretch.

Especially on the offensive side of things.  The well is dry for the Sox offensively. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Alonso's Spotrac estimated market value is 8 years $263M, I doubt he'll get that much but he'll get way north of $100M if he stays healthy all year and he's a Boras client.  2025 free agent class after Soto is dismal, there's a less than zero chance he signs with the White Sox. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Snowy Demon said:

Pete Alonso is giving me Ryan Howard and Chris Davis vibe. 

I'm in the boat that you shouldn't give real money to a first baseman unless it's somebody like Bryce Harper. By the time they hit free agency, they're probably done and are being paid for work they did when they were 26. You could go out and get Brandon Belt for the minimum and then spend the money on a position that's actually hard to fill. 

I'm with the poster that says Colson could end up at 1B. That would probably be a good thing because it means Ramos, Gonzalez, Baldwin worked out. Gives Vaughn maybe a season after this one to try to figure it out. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nrockway said:

I'm in the boat that you shouldn't give real money to a first baseman unless it's somebody like Bryce Harper. By the time they hit free agency, they're probably done and are being paid for work they did when they were 26. You could go out and get Brandon Belt for the minimum and then spend the money on a position that's actually hard to fill. 

I'm with the poster that says Colson could end up at 1B. That would probably be a good thing because it means Ramos, Gonzalez, Baldwin worked out. Gives Vaughn maybe a season after this one to try to figure it out. 

Colson ending up at 1B would be a really bad thing and would be a terrible use of resources.  If we have a glut on the left side of the infield, trade one of them for a position of need instead of using a high end prospect at a non premium defensive position.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Colson ending up at 1B would be a really bad thing and would be a terrible use of resources.  If we have a glut on the left side of the infield, trade one of them for a position of need instead of using a high end prospect at a non premium defensive position.

Not if he hits, plays first base well {why shouldn't he?} and Ramos, Baldwin, and Gonzalez play well. Not a lot of 6'3" SS's.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, JoeCredeYes said:

Alonso's Spotrac estimated market value is 8 years $263M, I doubt he'll get that much but he'll get way north of $100M if he stays healthy all year and he's a Boras client.  2025 free agent class after Soto is dismal, there's a less than zero chance he signs with the White Sox. 

Olson got 168 million and is a much better player. Pete will be lucky to get 125 and that'll be an overpay. 

Sportrac is insane with that estimate. 

• Like 1