OFFICIAL GAME THREAD FOR 4/8

Ishmookie

The game was over in the 2nd when Rowand missed a 3-run homer. Vasquez looked PO'd when he gave up a single to Frank; he would have imploded had Aaron's drive made it over the fence. I've seen it happen a few times in Montreal where things snowballed the second Xavier didn't have things going his way.

In any case....Shoenweiss was bad, that change-up is nowhere to be found.

If we swing like we did today, Contreras will no-hit us.

• Replies 551
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The game was over in the 2nd when Rowand missed a 3-run homer.  Vasquez looked PO'd when he gave up a single to Frank;  he would have imploded had Aaron's drive made it over the fence. I've seen it happen a few times in Montreal where things snowballed the second Xavier didn't have things going his way.

In any case....Shoenweiss was bad, that change-up is nowhere to be found.

If we swing like we did today, Contreras will no-hit us.

show bad?

6 IP, 3 ER, to the best team in the league.

I wouldn't call that bad.

show bad?

I agree, it took him a little while to get into rhythm, but he pitched decent. He's going to be our number 4 pitcher, not a horrible line for Show if you ask me. Vasquez is a way better pitcher than him. I'd have liked to see Garland pitching instead. But as someone said, Yankees at home in their home opener. That's a very tough situation to win.

I agree, I wouldn't pencil in Sho for the Cy Young, but I thought after a early inning struggles he really settled down and pitched A LOT better than I thought he would. If he is going to pitch like this all year, it would be FANTASTIC!!

(Also, 3 games and 3 quality starts, good trend to build on... .as long as this opening road trip isn't a complete disaster, ie 1-5 or 2-4 the Sox should be happy, even if it's 3-3)

show bad?

You wouldn't call it "bad" because you're not thinking critically.

Considering how much he pitched behind in the count, how many line-outs were hit by the Yankees and how many times Crede and Co bailed him out defensively......a more appropriate line would have been 3+ inn, 7 ER.

Trust me, it was pure luck and luck abandons you more often than not.

Considering how much he pitched behidn the count, how many line-outs were hit by the Yankees and how many times Crede and Co bailed him out defensively......a  more appropriate line would have been 3+ inn, 7 ER.

If Crede wouldn't have made those plays, would you say that he played a bad game?

If Crede wouldn't have made those plays, would you say that he played a bad game?

Listen, whatever. If you think Show was anything BUT bad today pitch-quality-wise, more power to you.

You'll first be one in line to b**** and moan when he invariably fails to get out of the 3rd inning against the Tigers.

Without control and a solid change-up, he'll be hit very hard -- as he's been pretty much all of his lousy career, uncluding this spring.

Considering how much he pitched behind in the count, how many line-outs were hit by the Yankees and how many times Crede and Co bailed him out defensively......a  more appropriate line would have been 3+ inn, 7 ER.

I've got to agree with you here.... I had missed much of the last two games staring at a this damn computer screen the last two days... So I made sure I watched every pitch today...

Here's my impression...

-Shoe escaped today with a decent line

-maggs and crede saved him today

-He was getting hit hard everytime he got near the zone

-He could be successful this season -- but he looked a ways off

-The line doesn't show it with a swinging bunt, sac fly, and solo home run -- but if he pitches the way he did today, show will have an ERA above 6

-Jose has looked really stupid far more than he has looked comfortable at the plate this season

-Frank's batting eye has been impecable this season -- He really got sqeezed by that bad call in the ninth

-The team as a whole is in trouble with the top of the order the way that it is currently... Willie/Uribe haven't gotten on base, and jose has had trouble makeing contact behind them. -- This lineup is a recipe for disaster.

Listen, whatever.  If you think Show was anything BUT bad today pitch-quality-wise, more power to you.

You'll first be one in line to b**** and moan when he invariably fails to get out of the 3rd inning against the Tigers.

Without control and a solid change-up, he'll be hit very hard -- as he's been pretty much all of his lousy career, uncluding this spring.

Didn't he regain his control after the first two innings? It's only one start, and it's like you have determined he is a failure. The Show that pitched today pitched better than he did in Spring Training.

You're right though. I am going to be pissed if he doesn't make it out of the third inning against Detroit. I would be pissed at any of the pitchers if that was the case.

What I'm saying is that he pitched well enough to keep us in that game, against a lineup of all-stars. If we could have mustered any sort of offensive production against Vasquez, we could have just as easily won that game.

show bad?

I'm with Brando Fan. That was one of the ugliest performances I've seen in awhile to still earn that line... He was constantly behind in the count, granted he was being squeezed a bit, the change wasn't there except when he got Matsui with one, and he had 4 BBs. The defense definitely came up big for Scott. With that said, considering he was pitching opening day at Yankee Stadium, I think he'll be better than many of us expected in the 4 slot.

I'm not worried about the offensive production today. When the Yankees made all their moves in the offseason I never understood why Vazquez was being positioned in the #3 slot. The guy is going to be their ace this year, he's one bad mofo. I think tomorrow will be another tough go for the O, Contreras had like 25Ks in 16IP in ST with barely any runs allowed, not to mention the fact that he embarrassed us last season, 8IP, 0R, like 2H. He'll probably shut us out again. I'm glad we're getting these out of the way now.

I'm not worried about the offensive production today

Why? It was yet another example of Sox offense not being able to hit good pitching. We haven't since early 2000.

Vasquez was good, but not great pitch-quality/location-wise. Sox hitters did a GREAT job jamming themselves, overswinging, etc.

Pagin Greg f***in' Walker. We were promised Sox hitters would level the swings and would use the whole field this year.....Gimme..

I watched the gme on ESPN and even David Justice thought that Shoe was getting squeezed by the umpire on that outside pitch. However, the Yankees guy got squeezed some too because it looked like the umps positioning behind the catcher was not in a good line to see the outside corner.

I think that putting his first two horrendous innings aside that Shoe at least deserves a second start. However, I still like Cotts too and he did pretty well. Adkins did very well in his relief appearance.

I watched the gme on ESPN and even David Justice thought that Shoe was getting squeezed by the umpire on that outside pitch. However, the Yankees guy got squeezed some too because it looked like the umps positioning behind the catcher was not in a good line to see the outside corner.

I think that putting his first two horrendous innings aside that Shoe at least deserves a second start. However, I still like Cotts too and he did pretty well. Adkins did very well in his relief appearance.

Cotts has not been stretched out enough to jump into the rotation.

I'm content to stay with Schow.

We still have Wright to contend with.

The worst thing so far this year is that our latest nemesis (Tigers) has us in a whole already (2 gb). We don't match up well with their pitching.

It looks to be a very hectic, nail-biting season this year.

Why? It was yet another example of Sox offense not being able to hit good pitching.    We haven't since early 2000.

Vasquez was good, but not great pitch-quality/location-wise. Sox hitters did a GREAT job jamming themselves, overswinging, etc.

Pagin Greg f***in' Walker.    We were promised Sox hitters would level the swings and would use the whole field this year.....Gimme..

Do you like anything?