UPDATE: on Maggs contract situation

maggsmaggs

He said today on the Carmen and Silvy show that the Sox have offered Maggs a 4 year deal worth $58 million dollars!! I know he is our prime-time player, but if this is true he'll be making as much as Vlad. No offense to Maggs, but Vlad is a better hitter and a hell of a better fielder. Still, I'll be happy if they resign, I am just worried that we are over paying him.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just take it Maggs.  That's awesome money.

Agreed, but some players can be greedy about the $. Hopefully Maggs doesn't ask for more and just takes what this is. I'm sure he won't since he's been asking for a 5 year contract instead of 4 for a while now..

Agreed, but some players can be greedy about the $. Hopefully Maggs doesn't ask for more and just takes what this is. I'm sure he won't since he's been asking for a 5 year contract instead of 4 for a while now..

If I were Maggs I'd sign that deal provided there was an option for a 5th year. That would be pretty sweet and give him the 5th year he wants, sorta.

I wish the other rumor was true and a done deal at 6 years at 68 mill. Probably too low by his standards. This is a very fair offer for him, yet the fifth year, as discussed, could be a stumbling block. Either way, I am still pretty confident a deal gets done. Although, for the JR haters out there, this is hardly a cheap contract offer.

He said today on the Carmen and Silvy show that the Sox have offered Maggs a 4 year deal worth $58 million dollars!!  I know he is our prime-time player, but if this is true he'll be making as much as Vlad.  No offense to Maggs, but Vlad is a better hitter and a hell of a better fielder.  Still, I'll be happy if they resign, I am just worried that we are over paying him.

Vlad has a better arm then Maggs, but in no way is he a better outfielder then Maggs, Maggs in the better outfielder.

I want to know what the hell Maggs does with 14 million in the first place? Doesn't seem to be the sort of guy who wastes money on lush materials such as cars, million dollar homes, and jewelry. He lives in Valenzuela during the offseason........you can buy the whole damn country with his salary.

If Maggs doesn't want 4 years for 58 million, then wave him goodbye. Although the money would be well spent (with Maggs) it could be used to fill our pitching/infield holes.

I want to know what the hell Maggs does with 14 million in the first place? Doesn't seem to be the sort of guy who wastes money on lush materials such as cars, million dollar homes, and jewelry.  He lives in Valenzuela during the offseason........you can buy the whole damn country with his salary.

If Maggs doesn't want 4 years for 58 million, then wave him goodbye.  Although the money would be well spent (with Maggs) it could be used to fill our pitching/infield holes.

No wonder Fernando's belly is so big - he's got someone LIVING IN IT!!!

:D

I'm a bit confused by the logic of "what does he do with 14 mil anyway". If that's the bargaining point, should Maggs start blowing money on cars, boats, houses, etc., to justify to the Sox that he needs the extra money? Do ANY of these guys actually NEED more money than any others? Maggs is looking for money in the range of the players that he considers to be similar to himself. What he spends ( or doesn't spend ) the money on is not really relevant, IMO.

In my mind, what Magglio brings to the Sox is worth top dollar, since he delivers consistent offense and is a fan favorite. The Sox have enough trouble getting people to the park - losing a favorite like Maggs won't help that at all.

In regards to the original post, I'd have to agree with Rowand44 on the defensive standpoint. Vlad has got a cannon for an arm, but I think he led all MLB outfielders in errors last year. Since 1997 he has error totals of 12, 17, 19, 10, 12, 10 and 7. This is so bad that I'd go as far to go completely the other way and say that Maggs is a much better fielder than Vlad.

Offensively, Vlad has the edge on most categories, but not by a whole lot. And Maggs's biggest vice (grounding into double plays) isn't necessarily Vlads strongest point either. Ultimately, I think Vlad is better, but not by enough to make a big deal about the money issue. I personally would hold onto the extra money that we're throwing at him and just give him the extra freaking year that he wants, but what do I know.

Overall, Maggs is worth almost as much as Vlad.

Cordially,

Micah Bowie