Maggs Options

hogan873

I suppose we should have all seen this coming. Having Maggs agree to a long-term deal without some haggle is a pipe dream. The question is, however, do the Sox have a legitimate shot at signing him before he "tests the FA waters?" Because, guess what? The Sox will not be able to compete with some of the big dogs out there. Some team will offer him more than the Sox can match.

So, do the Sox continue to haggle with Maggs and risk losing him (and getting nothing at the end of the year), or do they trade him before July 31 and pick up a stud pitcher? I'm personally leaning towards a trade. Only because I really don't think the Sox can retain Maggs after the season. So, who needs a big bat in the outfield and has some pitching we would like? I know that many teams would like a Maggs-type player, but is there a match out there for the Sox to gather a #1 or #2 starter for him?

I suppose we should have all seen this coming.  Having Maggs agree to a long-term deal without some haggle is a pipe dream.  The question is, however, do the Sox have a legitimate shot at signing him before he "tests the FA waters?"  Because, guess what?  The Sox will not be able to compete with some of the big dogs out there.  Some team will offer him more than the Sox can match.

So, do the Sox continue to haggle with Maggs and risk losing him (and getting nothing at the end of the year), or do they trade him before July 31 and pick up a stud pitcher?  I'm personally leaning towards a trade.  Only because I really don't think the Sox can retain Maggs after the season.  So, who needs a big bat in the outfield and has some pitching we would like?  I know that many teams would like a Maggs-type player, but is there a match out there for the Sox to gather a #1 or #2 starter for him?

With a 29-20 record and no signs of slowing down, Maggs ain't going anywhere.

I suppose we should have all seen this coming.  Having Maggs agree to a long-term deal without some haggle is a pipe dream.  The question is, however, do the Sox have a legitimate shot at signing him before he "tests the FA waters?"  Because, guess what?  The Sox will not be able to compete with some of the big dogs out there.  Some team will offer him more than the Sox can match.

So, do the Sox continue to haggle with Maggs and risk losing him (and getting nothing at the end of the year), or do they trade him before July 31 and pick up a stud pitcher?  I'm personally leaning towards a trade.  Only because I really don't think the Sox can retain Maggs after the season.  So, who needs a big bat in the outfield and has some pitching we would like?  I know that many teams would like a Maggs-type player, but is there a match out there for the Sox to gather a #1 or #2 starter for him?

That makes me sick, SICK to think about trading Maggs...

That makes me sick, SICK to think about trading Maggs...

What panic...The sox will not trade maggs if they are in the race. They will remain the main player to resign him and they will also have an opportunity after the year is over to resign him. Calm down. Pray the Sox are in it. Enjoy the damn season, lets worry about winning this year and leave next year to Soxfest questions. If we fall apart in a month then we can think about what and who we will trade.

make sense?

What panic...The sox will not trade maggs if they are in the race. They will remain the main player to resign him and they will also have an opportunity after the year is over to resign him. Calm down. Pray the Sox are in it. Enjoy the damn season, lets worry about winning this year and leave next year to Soxfest questions. If we fall apart in a month then we can think about what and who we will trade.

make sense?

Quickman,

We've been through this before, I'll try to give it a rest...did you get my PM???

How about..... Zito and Durazo (left handed power) for Ordonez ?

Sounds good?  Ok, lets do it...

I'm sure Beane is looking to take on payroll, and give up two players including a Cy Young winner, for an very consistently above average right fielder. :rolleyes: Not to mention that further clogs our 1B/DH situation.

How about..... Zito and Durazo (left handed power) for Ordonez ?

Sounds good?  Ok, lets do it...

Scott Kazmir, David Wright and Steve Trachsel would be a much better deal.

When Bartolo Colon was with the Indians, they got 3 top class prospects for him in Cliff Lee, Grady Sizemore and Brandon Phillips. Most GM's are unwillin to pay that high of a price nowadays, Kamir and Wright are 2 elite prospects, and Trachsel or even Glavine would help our rotation immensly.

Hey - buddy - Maggs just said that he never denied a contract offer, and that talks are still going on.

Please, please - don't jump the gun so soon. You guys took it as gospel that because a couple of New York writers mentioned that Mags rejected 70Million/5Years, it was true. Well, I guess you shouldn't believe everything you read in the paper... :headshake

That would require a lot of talent going to NY, who do you have in mind?

do you think so? they're having really big problems in their outfield right now... in other words, practically no production (especially cameron in CF)

maybe you'd have to dump in a prospect on our end... maybe a middle of the road to decent starter... but i could see them going for it

Trade maggs to the mets for Trachsel (immediate help in the rotation) and scott Kazmir (future ace)

:puke Can I get a hell no to that?

Traschel is old, dude...Kashmir may have solid stuff, but theres no way KW would be that stupid...

dude... look at trachsel's stats... his ERA rocks and he'd be awesome immediate help in our rotation.  he could win 20 for us.  He won 16 with the METS last year

20...ya, sure, and I'm Elvis Prestley...if he wins 20 you call me, okay?

well thats why you've got kazmir (or another one of their pitching prospects, they've got some good ones)... i mean, if ya dun like trachsel substitute glavine or leiter in there...

Leiter would most definatly work in fitting that into the equation.