Jeremy Reed

Winning Ugly

Good for JR.  Hopefully he is successful, but I will take Garcia for sure.

He'll be in their outfield in 2005, with Ibanez moving to DH. They've actually bringing along some good young position players now.

Joe Borchord used to tear up the minors too.  And Diaz was untouchable while pitching down there.  Minors don't mean a thing once you get to the bigs.

Borchard has only really produced in about 2 of his minor league systems, Diaz never really had great numbers until this year. At least Reed has a track record of success, numbers wise anywhere he's been.

Who knows if Seattle would hav even traded Garcia if we gave them Borchard instead of Reed.

From what I read, you are correct, the deal would not have gotten done without Reed.

It was either Crede or Olivo, the third prospect which turned out to be Morse, and Reed.

Don't know who the Sox were trying to peddle in place of Reed.

I know a Mariners fan out there and he's pissed Seattle couldn't get Garcia signed to a three year deal, seeing as he did exactly that with the White Sox. This guy told me lots of Seattle fans are upset about losing Garcia, although they like both Olivo and Reed. He says a lot of fans out there feel pitching wins and Garcia is pretty young and why didn't the Mariners just pony up, especially since the White Sox aren't particularly known for signing free agent pitchers.

It was kind of interesting to me, getting the perspective from a Mariners fan.

As for Borchard, he is a good guy but I am tired of waiting for the light bulb to click on. What's especially frustrating to me is we need on base guys and that ain't Joe. Plus I thought he could've really turned the corner had he delivered in those two games last week ... one vs. Minnesota where he hit into the DP and vs. Detroit when he struck out. He is known as a big game player supposedly and no one gets it done every time but he needed to deliver ... and didn't.

Harrelson said something the other nite I agree with, it's been very hard for young players to break in with the Sox the past few years. Borchard would definitely benefit IMO in having a good consistent 100-150 at bats, playing every day for a month or so. As long as this team is or thinks it is in contention, it won't happen.

And therein lies the dilemna. It is 4 years since we drafted Borchard and we still don't know what we've got in him. At this point, if you give up on him I think his trade value is minimal. Other teams can see that long swing and they can also see the Sox seem to prefer Timo Perez over giving Joe B. a good shot. What does that say about Borchard, when you've got Timo Perez in there ahead of him?

They are five games out with 59 left to play. Our ace right fielder is injured and is a free agent-to-be. I would not be adverse to the Sox telling Borchard, "You are the right fielder at least through August. You'll be in there every day. Relax and show us what you've got."

Timo is definitely not a long term OF solution, Borchard "may" be. They can't be much worse off than they are now, why not just let him play and see what he can do (or cannot do). It's good for the long term and there's a chance it's good for the short term too.

From what I read, you are correct, the deal would not have gotten done without Reed.

It was either Crede or Olivo, the third prospect which turned out to be Morse, and Reed.

I know a Mariners fan out there and he's pissed Seattle couldn't get Garcia signed to a three year deal, seeing as he did exactly that with the White Sox.  This guy told me lots of Seattle fans are upset about losing Garcia, although they like both Olivo and Reed.  He says a lot of fans out there feel pitching wins and Garcia is pretty young and why didn't the Mariners just pony up, especially since the White Sox aren't particularly known for signing free agent pitchers.

As for Borchard, he is a good guy but I am tired of waiting for the light bulb to click on.  What's especially frustrating to me is we need on base guys and that ain't Joe.  Plus I thought he could've really turned the corner had he delivered in those two games last week ... one vs. Minnesota where he hit into the DP and vs. Detroit when he struck out.  He is known as a big game player supposedly and no one gets it done every time but he needed to deliver ... and didn't.

Harrelson said something the other nite I agree with, it's been very hard for young players to break in with the Sox the past few years.  Borchard would definitely benefit IMO in having a good consistent 100-150 at bats, playing every day for a month or so.  As long as this team is or thinks it is in contention, it won't happen.

And therein lies the dilemna.  It is 4 years since we drafted Borchard and we still don't know what we've got in him.  At this point, if you give up on him I think his trade value is minimal.  Other teams can see that long swing and they can also see the Sox seem to prefer Timo Perez over giving Joe B. a good shot.  What does that say about Borchard, when you've got Timo Perez in there ahead of him?

They are five games out with 59 left to play. Our ace right fielder is injured and is a free agent-to-be.  I would not be adverse to the Sox telling Borchard, "You are the right fielder at least through August.  You'll be in there every day.  Relax and show us what you've got."

Timo is definitely not a long term OF solution, Borchard "may" be.  They can't be much worse off than they are now, why not just let him play and see what he can do (or cannot do).  It's good for the long term and there's a chance it's good for the short term too.

I agree with everything except the last part. Perez is not the long term solution. You are right. IMO, the next ten games are the season. We can pull within 2 games of the twins as they play a tough schedule and we don't. If we don't do that than I say its over. Therefore, although perez is not long term, I think he is better than borchard right now and gives us a number two hitter that can make contact. That said I would play the best players for the next ten days. If we are out of it after that, than by all means let Borchard play the entire month of september.

I think he is better than borchard right now and gives us a number two hitter that can make contact. That said I would play the best players for the next ten days. If we are out of it after that, than by all means let Borchard play the entire month of september.

This is exactly what they'll do IMO.

And the frustrating part is if Borchard plays well in Sept. and we'll still not know what we've got ... pressure is off in Sept., etc., assuming they're out of it.

Bigger picture problem here is the White Sox are relying on Timo Perez to be an effective #2 hitter. That's like trying to drive up a mountain in a Yugo.

Reed appears to be steaky for AAA Seattle. He hit over .300 right after the trade, but was down to .276 just a few days ago. Now I see he's up to .302.

Not inconsistent at all......

He has a limited number of at bats, so 3-4 games will raise the average 20 or more points and an 0-4 will drop you like a rock. Stats start over when you change leagues, so his numbers from Charlotte did not carry over. He only has 116 at bats with Tacoma.

I know a Mariners fan out there and he's pissed Seattle couldn't get Garcia signed to a three year deal, seeing as he did exactly that with the White Sox.  This guy told me lots of Seattle fans are upset about losing Garcia, although they like both Olivo and Reed.  He says a lot of fans out there feel pitching wins and Garcia is pretty young and why didn't the Mariners just pony up, especially since the White Sox aren't particularly known for signing free agent pitchers.

As for Borchard, he is a good guy but I am tired of waiting for the light bulb to click on.  What's especially frustrating to me is we need on base guys and that ain't Joe.  Plus I thought he could've really turned the corner had he delivered in those two games last week ... one vs. Minnesota where he hit into the DP and vs. Detroit when he struck out.  He is known as a big game player supposedly and no one gets it done every time but he needed to deliver ... and didn't.

Harrelson said something the other nite I agree with, it's been very hard for young players to break in with the Sox the past few years.  Borchard would definitely benefit IMO in having a good consistent 100-150 at bats, playing every day for a month or so.  As long as this team is or thinks it is in contention, it won't happen.

And therein lies the dilemna.  It is 4 years since we drafted Borchard and we still don't know what we've got in him.  At this point, if you give up on him I think his trade value is minimal.  Other teams can see that long swing and they can also see the Sox seem to prefer Timo Perez over giving Joe B. a good shot.  What does that say about Borchard, when you've got Timo Perez in there ahead of him?

They are five games out with 59 left to play. Our ace right fielder is injured and is a free agent-to-be.  I would not be adverse to the Sox telling Borchard, "You are the right fielder at least through August.  You'll be in there every day.  Relax and show us what you've got."

Timo is definitely not a long term OF solution, Borchard "may" be.  They can't be much worse off than they are now, why not just let him play and see what he can do (or cannot do).  It's good for the long term and there's a chance it's good for the short term too.

It was not Crede OR Olivo. It was Crede AND Olivo AND Reed. KW was able to negotiate and not part with 2 regulars. If it were Crede OR Olivo then we should have given them Crede without a doubt.

I thought it could of been Crede and Olivo or Reed and Olivo. Not sure though.

I do know this, Reed should be up pretty quick. I'm just shocked that the Mariners didn't deal someone or what not. Maybe they are hoping someone will take on Ibanez and his bad contract in a waiver deal or what not, but they got to open up a spot for him in the OF.

It was not Crede OR Olivo. It was Crede AND Olivo AND Reed. KW was able to negotiate and not part with 2 regulars. If it were Crede OR Olivo then we should have given them Crede without a doubt.

No question that at some point during negotiations, KW showed faith in Crede.

I do know when KW agreed to include Reed, the deal was done.

Not certain of all the permutations.

Not inconsistent at all......

He has a limited number of at bats, so 3-4 games will raise the average 20 or more points and an 0-4 will drop you like a rock. Stats start over when you change leagues, so his numbers from Charlotte did not carry over. He only has 116 at bats with Tacoma.

That is a good point. I knew the stats from Charlotte didn't carry over. I've been checking in on him and other prospects we've traded every couple of days and have seen a wide swing in his average. It just seems over 29 games and 116 at bats I wouldn't see that kind of swing in average. From all the hype, I guess I expect him to hit every day.

I'm personally glad they kept Crede. We really don't have another 3rd basemen for the future and there are some outfielders in the minors that'll fill the void. I think Reed will have a great career but Garcia and Davis have been doing great for the Sox. All in all I'm sure it'll be a win-win trade for both teams.