READ THIS POST-NEW SOXTALK POSTING POLICY

southsider2k5

In light of recent changes and occurances that happened here we have been reviewing the way things happen at Soxtalk.

First of respect for other posters seems to be at one of the lowest points since I have been on Soxtalk. Personal attacks happen for seemingly less and less of reasons. After much discussion about this as a group, we feel there are no good reasons for personal attacks on the board. We encourage all debate on topics, and we don't want to ever see that change. That is why we give you all so many more freedoms than your typical message board. But all personal attacks do is make Soxtalk a more hostile enviornment than it has to be, and they serve no useful purpose what-so-ever. We also feel that this new policy in no way will take away from your posting experience here, in fact quite the opposite. We think if people get back to the subjects at hand, instead of personal attacks the discussion and quality of the board will be even better.

So now from now on we are asking you guys to stick to the debates at hand. We don't want to see people called names or addressed with terms of derrision, of any sort. That goes from calling someone stupid or an idiot, all of the way up to labeling people with unacceptable terms of hate or stereotypes.

As always feel free to offer your opinions to this, whether it be here in public, through PM or emails.

Thanks

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree.

Certain parties seem to enjoy poking certain other parties with sharp sticks and vice-versa.

Do those parties even post anything positive or baseball related here?

I know this isn't what you were saying Knight, but I do want to make one thing clear. We are not ending negative posting. If you feel this team sucks, feel free to say it. But we don't want to see people called names for their opinions anymore. That is what we are ending.

I actually thought things had gotten a lot better here recently, but I am in favor of this and I will hold up my end of the bargain.

Private message is where any clarifications, etc. should take place.

Arggh, I'd hate to see WSI-style moderation here. They are really ridiculous over there.

If you're offended by what people post about you in an online forum...you should maybe consider getting thicker skin.

By the way, I generally turn off avatars and signatures on this site. A lot of them are cool (the blinking OEO Magglio is really sweet), some are annoying after a while, and the political ones are off putting. I wouldn't want my replies to someone about White Sox stuff be affected by my political philosophy. Thankfully, I can't remember who is pro-Kerry/anti-Bush and who is pro-Bush/anti-Kerry, and I'm happy with that.

Arggh, I'd hate to see WSI-style moderation here.  They are really ridiculous over there.

If you're offended by what people post about you in an online forum...you should maybe consider getting thicker skin.

And that was the biggest reason that we have avoided doing anything like this in the past. We do value the freedom here, and we have done everything to protect it. But lately things have kind of forced our hand here. And trust me, we aren't looking to be aggressive moderators. Far from it. I would love to never take an administrative action against another poster again. But with things that have happened here over the last month or so we are trying to ensure that posters experience at Soxtalk is as good as possible. We have had visiting posters attacked, stereotypical insults have been made, people have been harassed, etc. For 99% of posters, this policy will have no change in their posting at all. But it will make posting 100% better for those 99%.

And that was the biggest reason that we have avoided doing anything like this in the past.  We do value the freedom here, and we have done everything to protect it.  But lately things have kind of forced our hand here.  And trust me, we aren't looking to be aggressive moderators.  Far from it.  I would love to never take an administrative action against another poster again.  But with things that have happened here over the last month or so we are trying to ensure that posters experience at Soxtalk is as good as possible.  We have had visiting posters attacked, stereotypical insults have been made, people have been harassed, etc.  For 99% of posters, this policy will have no change in their posting at all.  But it will make posting 100% better for those 99%.

Idiot! :lol:

Some clarification:

Does this apply just to other posters or to other people in general?

What qualifies as an insult? I mean, "you're an idiot" and "this is an idiotic post" are only trivially different. The latter usually clearly implies the former. When does aggression become insult?

Seriously...this applies to Cubs fans as well??? :D :fthecubs

I'm worried about the same issues Black Betsy brought up -- it's okay, as long as there's enough self-control, which means some pretty careful cross-checking by all the admins. And enforcement has to be uniform.

Some clarification:

Does this apply just to other posters or to other people in general?

What qualifies as an insult?  I mean, "you're an idiot" and "this is an idiotic post" are only trivially different.  The latter usually clearly implies the former.  When does aggression become insult?

Seriously...this applies to Cubs fans as well???  :D :fthecubs

I'm worried about the same issues Black Betsy brought up -- it's okay, as long as there's enough self-control, which means some pretty careful cross-checking by all the admins.  And enforcement has to be uniform.

Its not going to be an easy black and white thing. The whole thing we are asking is to stick to the post when critiquing. Technically yes, if you say you are idiot, you have crossed the line of personal insults. But it is not like we are going to be banning people for calling someone an idiot either. We want to see the personal insults stop. My rule of thumb is if you are identifying the person instead of the post, it is personal. And there is no reason to call someone, anything really. Stick to responding to the content of the post and you will be fine.

All I'd like to see is when people make a post, before clicking the post button, ask, am I ripping this person or am I ripping his argument...if its the latter, go for it (assuming your not just saying thats the most assisine thing I've ever heard, but go in depth about it). I think you can sometimes learn more from disagree with someone (if the two debate back and forth) then you can if you both agree (although everyone should agree with me ;) ).

Anyway, this isn't a look what you said, your gone. Soxtalk is and always will be built with freedoms of posting, we just don't see where personal attacks should be a part of those freedoms. But everything else, other then racism and what not is fair game.

In light of recent changes and occurances that happened here we have been reviewing the way things happen at Soxtalk.

First of respect for other posters seems to be at one of the lowest points since I have been on Soxtalk. Personal attacks happen for seemingly less and less of reasons. After much discussion about this as a group, we feel there are no good reasons for personal attacks on the board. We encourage all debate on topics, and we don't want to ever see that change. That is why we give you all so many more freedoms than your typical message board. But all personal attacks do is make Soxtalk a more hostile enviornment than it has to be, and they serve no useful purpose what-so-ever. We also feel that this new policy in no way will take away from your posting experience here, in fact quite the opposite. We think if people get back to the subjects at hand, instead of personal attacks the discussion and quality of the board will be even better.

So now from now on we are asking you guys to stick to the debates at hand. We don't want to see people called names or addressed with terms of derrision, of any sort. That goes from calling someone stupid or an idiot, all of the way up to labeling people with unacceptable terms of hate or stereotypes.

As always feel free to offer your opinions to this, whether it be here in public, through PM or emails.

Thanks

Aww, i hate you, you prick!

:lol:

I understand the policy, let's just not go too far down Ban Boulevard.

Read back through some of the comments. We aren't looking to start a big power trip, but we have had racial name-calling and sexual harassment issues happen in the recent weeks. These are the type of things we are trying to cure. Also the 10 page threads that consist of two people calling each other every name in the book, while the topic they were debating was long forgotten.

Read back through some of the comments.  We aren't looking to start a big power trip, but we have had racial name-calling and sexual harassment issues happen in the recent weeks.  These are the type of things we are trying to cure.  Also the 10 page threads that consist of two people calling each other every name in the book, while the topic they were debating was long forgotten.

I did read the thread, and I understand totally what the intent of this policy is.

All I'm saying is that I hope it stays with this point, since every bad road begins with one step.

I trust everyone "in power" here, but I felt that I needed to state my small fear, at least.

I did read the thread, and I understand totally what the intent of this policy is.

All I'm saying is that I hope it stays with this point, since every bad road begins with one step.

I trust everyone "in power" here, but I felt that I needed to state my small fear, at least.

No problem. And to be quite honest, if you guys ever feel that it is getting to that point say something. You guys are our check and balance. As always tell us if you see something wrong.

Thanks Critic :)

now go chase those kids off of your lawn :lol: