The "realistic" plan

whitesox61382

If I am not mistaken, than the Sox will have roughly 62M tied up for next year(this includes estimated arb. and increases). It is hard to say what the final payroll will be, but I think it is reasonable to expect at least a slight increase(this past season was 68M). If JR is willing to spend 75-76M, than the following offseason and roster wouldn't be unrealistic.

Sign Vizquel 4M/yr

Sign OPerez 7M/yr

Trade a couple of prospects for Julio/Kolb/Baez(about 2-3M for any of three)

The roster would look as followed:

SS Vizquel

CF Rowand

DH Thomas

LF Lee

1B Konerko

RF Everett

2B Uribe

3B Crede

C Davis

The lineup is as dangerous as the lineup that started this season(with a healthy Maggs and Thomas). You add a quality top of the order hitter, a lefty(switch hitter) in the middle, and hopefully an improvement from Crede.

RH Garcia

LH Buehrle

LH Perez

RH Contreras

RH Garland

The rotation is 10x better than last year rotation. The two holdovers are Buehlre and Garland, and when you compare Loaiza(not 2003 form), Schoeneweis, and the army of 5th starters to Garcia, Perez, and Contreras it is like comparing night and day. Any way that you look at it, the rotation is drastically improved with the potential to be one of the top rotations in baseball.

RH Takatsu

RH Julio/Kolb/Baez

LH Marte

RH Politte

LH Cotts

RH Adkins

The bullpen would probably be better with the addition of a quality right handed reliever like Julio/Kolb/Baez(all with closing experience). You also hope that either/both Cotts and/or Adkins will show improvement.

1B/DH Gload

2B Harris

C Burke

OF Borchard/Escobar

IF Valdez

The bench is pretty solid and offers a little bit of everything power, speed, defense, ect.

Is this scenerio that unrealistic? I hope not, because I think the Sox would be improved across the board(when compared to the team that started the year). Last year the papers speculated that the Sox would end up with a payroll around 60M, and JR surprised us with a payroll of 68M, so is it that unlikely to have a payroll around 76M(especially with an increase in revenue)? I know that it is likely for the Sox to trade Konerko or Lee, but weren't the same things being said last offseason? I know that there have been talks about drastic changes, but I think the roster just needs a little treaking(and some health).

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like it. I'm not a big fan of having Everett start, especially in RF, but I like the team a lot. There is definately good depth all around and that rotation could be one of the better ones in the league, and the pen is pretty solid too.

If that team stayed healthy, it could be a 90 win team.

I like that idea.

Pretty much the same as mine, except I'd have a trade of Konerko going to either Anahiem or Baltimore in which we get (from Baltimore) at least Hairston and Julio or from Anahiem, Shields and Erstad/Guillen. The second trade possibility is unrealistc, but I agree with your premise that we need another 7th/8th inning right handed pitcher.

What farm team does Kolb play on? I'm not up to knowledge on him.

Year Ag Tm  Lg  W   L   G   GS  CG SHO  GF SV   IP     H    R   ER   HR  BB   SO  HBP  WP  BFP   ERA *lgERA *ERA+

+--------------+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+--+------+----+----+----+---+----+----+---+---+-----+-----+-----+----+

1999 24 TEX AL 2 1 16 0 0 0 6 0 31.0 33 18 16 2 15 15 1 2 139 4.65 5.02 108

2000 25 TEX AL 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 0.7 5 5 5 0 2 0 0 0 9 67.50 5.12 8

2001 26 TEX AL 0 0 17 0 0 0 1 0 15.3 15 8 8 2 10 15 0 3 70 4.70 4.48 95

2002 27 TEX AL 3 6 34 0 0 0 14 1 32.0 27 17 15 1 22 20 1 6 145 4.22 4.91 116

2003 28 MIL NL 1 2 37 0 0 0 25 21 41.3 34 10 9 2 19 39 1 1 175 1.96 4.37 223

2004 29 MIL NL 0 4 64 0 0 0 48 39 57.3 50 22 19 3 15 21 3 2 236 2.98 4.14 139

I like that idea.

Pretty much the same as mine, except I'd have a trade of Konerko going to either Anahiem or Baltimore in which we get (from Baltimore) at least Hairston and Julio or from Anahiem, Shields and Erstad/Guillen.  The second trade possibility is unrealistc, but I agree with your premise that we need another 7th/8th inning right handed pitcher.

I'd love a Bigbie, Hairston and Julio for Konerko deal, but we'd probably have to throw in another player or prospect. If the O's don't tender Gibbons, they could actually have some interest in Everett perhaps.

I'd love a Bigbie, Hairston and Julio for Konerko deal, but we'd probably have to throw in another player or prospect. If the O's don't tender Gibbons, they could actually have some interest in Everett perhaps.

They are going hard for both delgado and sexson so i don't think they have much interest if any at all in konerko. Once more they are a retarded organization.

They are going hard for both delgado and sexson so i don't think they have much interest if any at all in konerko. Once more they are a retarded organization.

Pameiro's going to be the full - time DH for them next season. I think Sexson will stay with the D-Backs, looks like he got an improved offer from them, and I think Delgado's headed to Seattle most likely or Los Angeles, so the O's could indeed want Konerko still. But they still need starting pitching the most.

Pameiro's going to be the full - time DH for them next season. I think Sexson will stay with the D-Backs, looks like he got an improved offer from them, and I think Delgado's headed to Seattle most likely or Los Angeles, so the O's could indeed want Konerko still. But they still need starting pitching the most.

I agree that that sexon and delagado will probally go where you are saying. But i think by the time they do or do not sign either one of them it may be too late. Julio and hairston may already be dealt by then. Because there is alot of interest in them since they are getting traded in a package.

I agree that that sexon and delagado will probally go where you are saying. But i think by the time they do or do not sign either one of them it may be too late. Julio and hairston may already be dealt by then. Because there is alot of interest in them since they are getting traded in a package.

At least either of em isn't represented by Bora$$ so perhaps they could be signed by the winter meetings but I wouldn't be getting my hopes up.

If I am not mistaken, than the Sox will have roughly 62M tied up for next year(this includes estimated arb. and increases). It is hard to say what the final payroll will be, but I think it is reasonable to expect at least a slight increase(this past season was 68M). If JR is willing to spend 75-76M, than the following offseason and roster wouldn't be unrealistic.

Sign Vizquel 4M/yr

Sign OPerez 7M/yr

Trade a couple of prospects for  Julio/Kolb/Baez(about 2-3M for any of three)

The roster would look as followed:

SS Vizquel

CF Rowand

DH Thomas

LF Lee

1B Konerko

RF Everett

2B Uribe

3B Crede

C Davis

The lineup is as dangerous as the lineup that started this season(with a healthy Maggs and Thomas). You add a quality top of the order hitter, a lefty(switch hitter) in the middle, and hopefully an improvement from Crede.

RH Garcia

LH Buehrle

LH Perez

RH Contreras

RH Garland

The rotation is 10x better than last year rotation. The two holdovers are Buehlre and Garland, and when you compare Loaiza(not 2003 form), Schoeneweis, and the army of 5th starters to Garcia, Perez, and Contreras it is like comparing night and day. Any way that you look at it, the rotation is drastically improved with the potential to be one of the top rotations in baseball.

RH Takatsu

RH Julio/Kolb/Baez

LH Marte

RH Politte

LH Cotts

RH Adkins

The bullpen would probably be better with the addition of a quality right handed reliever like Julio/Kolb/Baez(all with closing experience). You also hope that either/both Cotts and/or Adkins will show improvement.

1B/DH Gload

2B Harris

C Burke

OF Borchard/Escobar

IF Valdez

The bench is pretty solid and offers a little bit of everything power, speed, defense, ect.

Is this scenerio that unrealistic? I hope not, because I think the Sox would be improved across the board(when compared to the team that started the year). Last year the papers speculated that the Sox would end up with a payroll around 60M, and JR surprised us with a payroll of 68M, so is it that unlikely to have a payroll around 76M(especially with an increase in revenue)? I know that it is likely for the Sox to trade Konerko or Lee, but weren't the same things being said last offseason? I know that there have been talks about drastic changes, but I think the roster just needs a little treaking(and some health).

I think this would be a very good option. Of course I think you can insert any of the solid FA candidates in here as well as Percival as a bullpen option.

But ya, I'd be down with something along these lines and pretty much making no major trades. The question is how the Sox want to go about things.

Found this on Lowe too.

Lowe, who became the first pitcher in baseball history to win three clinching games in a single postseason, has probably played his last game for the Sox. Team management has been frustrated by his enigmatic ways over the past two seasons, and he rejected a multi-year contract offer (believed to be three years, $27 million) earlier this year that was eventually pulled off the table. The Baltimore Orioles [stats, schedule], Texas Rangers, Detroit Tigers and others are expected to pursue Lowe to top their starting rotations. Lowe's postseason performance undoubtedly resurrected his free agent value after it dropped like a nasty sinker in the regular season.

I heard a sports columnist from Boston talking about Derek Lowe and said that after his post-season he's expecting to command potentially 10 million plus a year.

Personally I dont think a postseason makes you worth that considering his regular season numbers were horrid. Thats just me, but he does have good stuff and if he happened to be out their cheaper it could be an option.

I heard a sports columnist from Boston talking about Derek Lowe and said that after his post-season he's expecting to command potentially 10 million plus a year. 

Personally I dont think a postseason makes you worth that considering his regular season numbers were horrid.  Thats just me, but he does have good stuff and if he happened to be out their cheaper it could be an option.

Well, if he turned down 3 years at 9 mil per, then for sure he'll be looking for 10 mil per at least, and probably more than 3 years, which the Sox never give.

So it sounds like no go for Lowe, at least here.

Didn't Lowe also make some kind of negative comment about the Red Sox during the post season?

I think someone asked him about when his next start would be and he said something like, 'They haven't told me, then again they don't tell me anything around here.'

Was that him, or someone else?