Reason for a Busy White Sox Offseason

Butter Parque

So the offseason has started out slow for the White Sox; thats fine, things are gonna turn around for them for one reason: Kenny Williams

KW has to believe his job is in jeopardy after his current run as GM. He took over a playoff team and hasn't gotten thme back since. it's a pure disgrace and KW knows that. It started in the middle of last season when KW started to come out with this "win-now" approach. He knows he has to win now if he wants to keep his job. He survived last year, but I don't expect him to survive another playoff-less season. If he doesn't put out the best possible team he can, it could be it for KW as General Manager of the White Sox.

I'm not expecting a Carlos Beltran or Randy Johnson, but as your eview the whole situation, I am now expecting either a Nomar, Rentereia, or Cabrera, as well as Jaret Wright or a Derek Lowe.

The rumor by Jim, I believe has some foundation to it, and I do beloeve something like that probably was discussed. It wouldn't shock me if Luis Castillo was playing 2B for the White Sox next season and now I can see a resaon for optimism in being a White Sox fan.

It's pretty simple, if KW can't do it this season, then he's had enough chances and the Sox should begin to turn in a different direction. I believe the scapegoats are all gone (now that Manuel was fired), now it's time for Kenny to prove his worth.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I expect nothing less than the best...

SO.. KW will disappoint like always, and get some hack in here and swear by him. Give up a ton, and make us belive that the players were not suppose to be in the Sox plans for the next 3-5 years.

But, look on the bright side, at least we will be under budget :rolly

So the offseason has started out slow for the White Sox; thats fine, things are gonna turn around for them for one reason: Kenny Williams

KW has to believe his job is in jeopardy after his current run as GM. He took over a playoff team and hasn't gotten thme back since. it's a pure disgrace and KW knows that. It started in the middle of last season when KW started to come out with this "win-now" approach. He knows he has to win now if he wants to keep his job. He survived last year, but I don't expect him to survive another playoff-less season. If he doesn't put out the best possible team he can, it could be it for KW as General Manager of the White Sox.

I'm not expecting a Carlos Beltran or Randy Johnson, but as your eview the whole situation, I am now expecting either a Nomar, Rentereia, or Cabrera, as well as Jaret Wright or a Derek Lowe.

The rumor by Jim, I believe has some foundation to it, and I do beloeve something like that probably was discussed. It wouldn't shock me if Luis Castillo was playing 2B for the White Sox next season and now I can see a resaon for optimism in being a White Sox fan.

It's pretty simple, if KW can't do it this season, then he's had enough chances and the Sox should begin to turn in a different direction. I believe the scapegoats are all gone (now that Manuel was fired), now it's time for Kenny to prove his worth.

Whether the sox make the playoffs or don't this year, I highly doubt kenny gets fired.

He took over a team that went to the playoffs the previous year, yes. But, alot of players on that team had career years and if they never did would have bever gotten to the playoffs. Have you ever looked at the starters era's from then? Pretty damn s***ty i would say. People make it out as he took over a dynasty when all he took over in realitywas flukey team that was projected to win third place that year. People have got to get over the 2000 season already.

Whether the sox make the playoffs or don't this year, I highly doubt kenny gets fired.

They have to fire him, if not they will look like idiots to stick with someone that has not even gotten into the first round of the playoffs in a five year tenure. I think it is five may be only four years though. I like his agreesiveness and that we are always in trade rumors. But i would also like if we got fairly better players than mike jackson and royce clayton in free agency.

KW is in a tough spot with payroll. I don't think that there's any question that the TALENT has been there for the last 2 years. In 2003, the team should have went to the ALCS, they had decent pitching and one of the most powerful offenses in MLB. Can you fault Kenny? I don't think so. Last season we had another offensive juggernaut until Maggs and Frank were both lost. We should've won the division last year given our roster out of ST, plus the addition of FG. But, injuries to your 3 and 4 hitters will take many teams out of contention.

I do agree that KW's job is somewhat on the line, but I'm not sure it would be after this next season. I can only imagine that JR sees the same faults that we all have, and most of those faults lie in the players themselves and their lack of talent when put under pressure.

KW is in a tough spot with payroll.  I don't think that there's any question that the TALENT has been there for the last 2 years.  In 2003, the team should have went to the ALCS, they had decent pitching and one of the most powerful offenses in MLB.  Can you fault Kenny?  I don't think so.  Last season we had another offensive juggernaut until Maggs and Frank were both lost. We should've won the division last year given our roster out of ST, plus the addition of FG.  But, injuries to your 3 and 4 hitters will take many teams out of contention. 

I do agree that KW's job is somewhat on the line, but I'm not sure it would be after this next season.  I can only imagine that JR sees the same faults that we all have, and most of those faults lie in the players themselves and their lack of talent when put under pressure.

:notworthy

I still see people though saying he's been a good GM because he's very aggresive. How agressive are the Twins? The fact is, a lot of KW's moves don't work out. Todd Ritchie, Both Alomars, Both Everett's, the Baldwin trade, the Koch trade, and the failure to sign Colon after he traded for him. We've already gone through 2 managers and still nothin. As much as people don't think so, I think Jerry would let KW push the payroll to 80 Mill, but that doesn't matter because KW won't bring in the right guys anyway.

I still see people though saying he's been a good GM because he's very aggresive. How agressive are the Twins? The fact is, a lot of KW's moves don't work out. Todd Ritchie, Both Alomars, Both Everett's, the Baldwin trade, the Koch trade, and the failure to sign Colon after he traded for him. We've already gone through 2 managers and still nothin. As much as people don't think so, I think Jerry would let KW push the payroll to 80 Mill, but that doesn't matter because KW won't bring in the right guys anyway.

Ritchie: see my sig

Alomar 2003: are you f***ing kidding me? Salvo was released, Almonte was released by two organizations, and Royce Ring was demoted to AA and is now unprotected for the rule 5 draft. Roberto replaced Jimenez's crappy defense, and taught Harris some things about second.

Alomar 2004: Desperation move made by KW. The team was on a 7 game losing streak, Uribe hit .123 for July, and Harris was hitting .188 in July. It sucked but we didn't give up much.

Everett 2003: Was a much need offensive upgrade in CF. Rowand was still recovering from his dirt bike accident, Harris and Borchard were called up to play CF. Frankie Francisco was good for the Rangers for the first half of the season (came up in May too,) but struggled in the second half and tossed a chair at a fan. Rupe is putting up decent numbers in the Rangers' AA system, and Webster is now left unprotected for the rule 5 draft.

Everett 2004: Frank went down, and we needed a bat to fill the void left by him. The trade was made in the middle of July when many teams were still competitive, so there weren't many options to get a replacement bat. Everett was pretty good when he first got here, but Ozzie get misusing him, and Everett got hurt. Why was Everett trying to steal second? :huh: We gave up Jon Rauch, who has battled injuries, and was given 3 chances to impress the Sox, and he only did well when the Sox were out of it in September of 2002. Not surprisingly, he pitched pretty well with a pressure-less team, the Expos. Oh, he also when on the DL (again) when he was with the Expos. We also gave up Gary "the cat" Majewski. What does it say when a team loses a guy in the rule 5 draft, gets the guy back, trades the guy to LA for Osuna, and then receives him back for Baldwin? (another trade that you whine about for some reason :rolly ) I think a lot of people are forgetting that we receive cash from the Expos, so we only paid Carl Everett the league minimum for 2004. We also paid the league minimum for Robbie and Everett back in 2003.

Koch trade: Horrible trade. Foulke was a whiney b**** who failed in the closer's role in 2002. He wanted it back, but Manuel decided to use Osuna and Marte. Foulke padded his numbers once he was removed from the closer's role. Hindsight 20/20, it was a horrible trade. JR didn't want to pay FOULKE $6 million in 2003, so they decided to pay Koch less in 2003, but guarantee him a second year worth a little more than what they would have paid Foulke. The worst possible scenario happened as Koch blew both years he was here, and Foulke was excellent in 2003.

Colon: You're going to b**** about that? He raped the Expos for Colon, and JR and KW offered him the largest contract for a pitcher in White Sox history (rumored to be around $36-39 million,) but he turned it down for a much larger deal in Anaheim. He had 18 wins with the Angels in 2004, but his ERA was over 5. I don't want to hear about this s*** how "KW should've signed Colon as soon as he traded for him" because according to some sources, Colon didn't want to pitch here, and he was coming off a season in which he won 10 games in BOTH the NL and AL. How much do you think he would be asking for after a season like that? :huh: KW used that money for Freddy Garcia ($9-12 million less, which is now looking like a STEAL with this market) and he also received two draft picks for losing Colon.

Look at the 2003 Sox of the second half. Before that horrible series against the Twins, the Sox had the second best record in the league. Guess who had a better record by one game? It was the Twins, who would go on to win 11 straight in a September where they played many games against the Tigers.

You can't possibly blame KW for 2003. He wanted to FIRE Manuel, but JR didn't want to because the Sox were the hosts of the All-Star game. Look at what Houston did this season. They fired their manager a day after the All-Star game, caught fire, and went to the playoffs.

Contrary to what you have posted, we have gone through only one manager under KW, and Manuel was given the extension by Reinsdorf after the 2000 season. The same year KW was hired.

I'm book marking this post because I'm sick of seeing the same KW sucks bulls***. You didn't even bother to list any of the good moves KW has made (I'll let some else do that, because it has been done 1000 times over.)

Excellent post, santo=dorf.

Yep, an absolute awesome post.

Some good KW moves:

Trading Guerrier for Marte

Signing Loaiza

Signing Shingo

etc..............

I have no prob;ems with the moves KW makes, as it goes with all GM's, some work out, some don't.

Keep dealin KW, you make it interesting.