Grilli

BamaDoc

Does anyone have any idea of Grilli's ability to pitch in relief? If he can't, we could showcase him in the spring. He is out of options and can't return to the minors without clearing waivers. Assuming our starters are healthy at the end of spring, Grilli may bring the plattoon catcher or infielder we are looking for or a prospect.

Okay,  the concensus is that he isn't suited to relief so if the brass also thinks that way we should expect to see him moved or released.

Unfortunately, Sox brass doesn't think that way, or at least that's the sounds of what has been said thus far in the offseason.

According to Sox brass, Grilli > Adkins, Diaz, Munoz.

Really unfortunate, too, because Grilli has shown nothing, other than he has some nice 'stuff'. No control, no nothing...

Okay,  the concensus is that he isn't suited to relief so if the brass also thinks that way we should expect to see him moved or released.

Ozzie has a much better handle on things than we give him credit for. He knows who he wants in the pen and I think both Cotts and Adkins can become key members of a formidable pen in the future. If he were to put any A-ballers in the pen, it would be either Diaz or Munoz (although he isn't a Diaz fan).

And, no...Grilli is not trade bait. He'll pitch at AAA, get the occasional spot start and call it a career. IMO, He'll be out of baseball in the next 3 years.

IMO it would be stupid to put Grilli in the pen...

Not only have both Adkins and Cotts already had a full year in the pen but Diaz has already proven himself alot more in the pen (and for that matter as a starter on this team).

Diaz should be given every chance before Grilli.

Agreed, Diaz over Grilli.. Just Cut grilli he serves no real purpose.

right now the Sox have seven relievers, without Diaz and Grilli, so I doubt either will be there this year.

Agree on this Mario.

Williams tries to build the pitching staff about 15-16 deep, and guys like Baj, Munoz, Diaz, Grilli, Walker, maybe even Adkins are depth guys. Unless they are lights out in spring or somebody gets hurt.

Nothing wrong with this at all, the more depth the better. Maybe not the best personal scenario for these guys looking for an opportunity, but that's baseball.

right now the Sox have seven relievers, without Diaz and Grilli, so I doubt either will be there this year.

And both of them are righties. The Sox have Takatsu, Hermanson, Vizqcaino, and Pollitte from the right side. Barring a meltdown or injury, there are zero spots for a RH reliever in the Sox pen.

Grilli will be where he should be, holding down the fort in Charlotte's rotation. Diaz has a slight chance of making the bullpen, but he'll need a Jon Adkins like spring training to have any chance. Most likely he'll be back in Charlotte as well, working on his breaking pitches to complement the only 2 good pitches he has now, because he'll have no chance of making it as a starter in the MLB with only 2.

Grilli will not be in Charlotte, he is out of options!  Unless every team passes on him on the waiver wire he can not be sent down.  That was the gist of my post.

I can't imagine anyone taking Grilli on waviers. I mean he's just not that good. Then again I wouldn't be heartbroken if someone did take him. At least it would mean their was no chance of him coming back to the rotation.

Grilli will be where he should be, holding down the fort in Charlotte's rotation. Diaz has a slight chance of making the bullpen, but he'll need a Jon Adkins like spring training to have any chance. Most likely he'll be back in Charlotte as well, working on his breaking pitches to complement the only 2 good pitches he has now, because he'll have no chance of making it as a starter in the MLB with only 2.

No other righties are making the pen in Chicago. There is no room at the inn. Cotts and Munoz are going to fight for the last spot as lefties. With 5 good starters the pen will be 6 men, no more.

Grili has some trade value. He still finished better than 59 other guys in the AL

who pitched less than 52 in. TEX comes to mind. They had 8 guys finish worse than Grili. With a 2-3 record in 8 starts TEX will probably claim him.

But the CWS doesn't have to worry about that until after ST. That should help boost his value. With Thomas/Everett expected to start on the DL the CWS has some room to facilitrate a Grili trade in the early part of the season. Let's hope he has a solid ST.