Rankings of Top Rotations in Baseball

Sanjay2000

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here are my rankings for the top rotations in baseball - what do you guys think?

1. CHICAGO CUBS

2. NEW YORK YANKEES

3. CHICAGO WHITE SOX

4. BOSTON RED SOX

5. ATLANTA BRAVES

6. MINNESOTA TWINS

7. NEW YORK METS

8. FLORIDA MARLINS

9. ANAHEIM ANGELS

10. PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES

The cubs rotation in my opinion is way overrated. Especially with Clement gone. Prior has yet to prove he can put together consistant years. Wood is an injury waiting to happen and he hasn't won more then 14 games. Zambrano is a stud but he's also a headcase. Rusch will be proven to be a fluke for them last year.

My list:

1- Yankees (if they get RJ)

2- Boston

3- Sox

4- Cardinals

5- Marlins

:fthecubs

Jeckle... you're telling me, that if you had a choice between Prior/Wood/Zambrano/Maddux/Rusch and Buehrle/Garcia/Hernandez/Contreras/Garland, you'd take the latter?

I'm a Sox fan 100%, and I like our pitching staff as a whole (meaning, including bullpen) over the Cubs -- but no way would I take our rotation over theirs. I don't care if Wood has only won 14 games, he's got nasty stuff. Zambrano is a friggin stud, and Prior is solid too, provided he comes back from his injury OK. Plus, Maddux is a rock too, and he's their number four. Rusch is meh, but when you have those three studs at the top...

Jeckle...  you're telling me, that if you had a choice between Prior/Wood/Zambrano/Maddux/Rusch and Buehrle/Garcia/Hernandez/Contreras/Garland, you'd take the latter?

I'm a Sox fan 100%, and I like our pitching staff as a whole (meaning, including bullpen) over the Cubs -- but no way would I take our rotation over theirs.  I don't care if Wood has only won 14 games, he's got nasty stuff.  Zambrano is a friggin stud, and Prior is solid too, provided he comes back from his injury OK.  Plus, Maddux is a rock too, and he's their number four.  Rusch is meh, but when you have those three studs at the top...

If Wood was on any other team in baseball he would of been but in the bullpen by now. The cubs can't though because they have two much hype surrounding him. It's all well and good to dominate but when your pitching over a hundred pitches usually by the 5th inning then your not going to win too many games.

Yes I admit that Maddux is a rock. We'll see how Prior does when he comes back for injury.

I would take our rotation over theirs.

QUOTE (CWSGuy406 @ Dec 31, 2004 -> 08:52 PM)
Jeckle... you're telling me, that if you had a choice between Prior/Wood/Zambrano/Maddux/Rusch and Buehrle/Garcia/Hernandez/Contreras/Garland, you'd take the latter?

I'm a Sox fan 100%, and I like our pitching staff as a whole (meaning, including bullpen) over the Cubs -- but no way would I take our rotation over theirs. I don't care if Wood has only won 14 games, he's got nasty stuff. Zambrano is a friggin stud, and Prior is solid too, provided he comes back from his injury OK. Plus, Maddux is a rock too, and he's their number four. Rusch is meh, but when you have those three studs at the top...

when i first started reading your post, i thought you were about to talk about how we had a better rotation than them, thats how prior/wood/zambrano/maddux/rusch compared to buehrle/garcia/hernandez/contreras/garland looks to me

Two people list Florida in their top 5, but they

1) have no 5th starter

2) have two guys who can't seem to stay off the DL (Beckett & Burnett)

3) have a wildly inconsistent pitcher in Willis on their staff

There starting four may look good on paper, but I know I'd place money on one of those guys being injured for most of the year, and onother one being completely ineffective all together.

The teams that come to mind for me that haven't been mentioned so far are Oakland and Philly.

Even though the A's lost Mulder and Hudson, as good as they are, they'll still have one of the most complete rotations in the majors from 1 to 5. They've got Zito to be their ace, Rich Harden as their #2, Joe Blanton will be in there and 2 spots left for either Jayson Duscherer (who's always been a guy who's impressed me), Danny Haren, Drew Meyer or Juan Cruz if they want him to start. Even though they'll be better in 1 to 2 years, I think a lot of people are underrating the A's now.

Philly also has a complete rotation now, and that could be upgraded even further if they acquire Vazquez. Subtracting Millwood from Citizens will be a plus, and I'd expect Brett Myers to have a comeback year. Vincent Padilla is still young, and can easily win 15 games, Jon Lieber will be an excellent addition, and Randy Wolf is still there unless they decide to trade him. Cory Lidle is also there and he's usually an excellent starter in the 1st half of seasons.

Another team possibly to look at is Seattle, especially if they sign Odalis Perez, to add to Jamie Moyer, Joel Pineiro and co. San Diego is another even though they lost Wells, but added Woody Williams, and Jake Peavy is a #1 on that team.

QUOTE (Gene Honda Civic @ Jan 1, 2005 -> 02:20 AM)
Two people list Florida in their top 5, but they

1) have no 5th starter

2) have two guys who can't seem to stay off the DL (Beckett & Burnett)

3) have a wildly inconsistent pitcher in Willis on their staff

There starting four may look good on paper, but I know I'd place money on one of those guys being injured for most of the year, and onother one being completely ineffective all together.

I was thinking the same thing about FLA's rotation, GHC.

As for the Cubs, keeping Rusch around as a #5 was key for them - he provides a good option for starting in case Guzman's not ready, and is a reliable lefty bullpen arm if Guzman pans out. I was amazed that Rusch didn't draw more interest from other teams - he had a VERY good year, and lefty veteran starters are hard to come by.

I'm not ready to put the Sox rotation TOO high up yet - IMO, Contreras and Hernandez have to prove it to me this year. I'm happy with MB and Freddy, and I think we know what to expect from Garland in the 5 spot.

I think the Mets are going to have a very good rotation this year. Pedro, Glavine, Benson, Zambrano and Traschel give the Mets 5 pretty reliable arms.

1. Yanks-Once they get RJ

2. Boston-Even without Pedro, Schilling is still da man. Additions of Wells, Clement and Miller won't hurt a bit either.

3. St. Louis-Adding Mark Mulder is going to make them that much better.

4.Atlanta-Hudson will anchor the staff, Smoltz comes in from the pen. Gotta love Horacio Ramirez too.

5. Chicago Cubs-They're still in the top 5 if they remain healthy. Prior and Zambrano are absolute studs.

6. WHITE SOX-Our best rotation since 94. We need all 5 of these guys to stay healthy.

7. Twinks-The only reason they are rated this high is because of Santana and Radke. Silva can be a solid 3, but is more of a #4 or 5.

8. NY Mets-With the addition of Pedro, this rotation could easily move up to the top 5 in the league if they all stay healthy.

9. Houston-Sorry I still like Clemens, Petitte, and Oswalt. Hopefully they can all stay healthy. I'd like to see Brandon Backe step it up.

10. Oakland-Yep. I agree as another poster mentioned. Oakland may have gotten rid of two great pitchers in Mulder and Hudson, but Harden and Blanton will help fill the holes. Duscherer has some good stuff, I'd imagine he'd be moved into the rotation and Jairo Garcia would take over the set-up role. Meyer, Haren, and Cruz will fight for the last spot in the rotation.

CWSOX45

I think the Cards' rotation is getting a little too much credit from us so far. Mulder is a stud, but the rest are iffy. Carpenter had a solid year, but is coming off of surgery and was a notorious underachiever before that. Marquis was also decent last year but didn't show much before that, and Suppan is pretty mediocre. I certainly wouldn't put them in the top 5, and possibly just barely in the top 10.

QUOTE (Sanjay2000 @ Dec 31, 2004 -> 06:54 PM)
Here are my rankings for the top rotations in baseball - what do you guys think?

1. CHICAGO CUBS

2. NEW YORK YANKEES

3. CHICAGO WHITE SOX

4. BOSTON RED SOX

5. ATLANTA BRAVES

6. MINNESOTA TWINS

7. NEW YORK METS

8. FLORIDA MARLINS

9. ANAHEIM ANGELS

10. PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES

How do the Scrubs make number one after losing Clement and not replacing him? They might be in the top ten but no way are they number one.

QUOTE (SoxFan101 @ Jan 2, 2005 -> 02:46 AM)
well a rotation of prior, wood, zambrano, and maddux is top 3 if not top 1 in my book... and if glendon rusch is as good as he was last year id say they be easy number 1 but if he sucks sirgio mitre isnt that bad of a 5th starter

Mitre is awful.