Iguchi's production

Gene Honda Civic

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Jan 24, 2005 -> 09:24 PM)
This is the Kool-aid I was talkin about 28 HR?????

The only reason I went that high is due to what I've read about the park he played in in Japan. I don't think 28 is too far off the mark, depending on what kind of playing time he gets. Would you have predicted last winter that Juan Uribe, who never really had too much power in the past, would throw up 23 dingers last season?

As long as he can hit the damn ball, get on base, steal, and score some runs, I am happy. I could honestly care less if he doesn’t hit a single homerun; I just want to see stolen bases. This is what Ozzie wants. Players who can run the bases, score runs, do the little things to win a ballgame.

Still, here are my predictions for Iguchi’s first season here in the States:

.275 (.340) 12 hrs. 34 SB’s

I didn't see Ray King's comments until today (thanks to TLAK for mentioning this), so I'm a little more worried now. His k/bb numbers were very erratic in Japan too. Over a full season, I'll go w/ .250/.320/.400, 10 hr, rbi -- who knows, depends on where he hits. But that's only if the Sox stick w/ him over the full season, and I expect him to really struggle early on.

Here's some information on Iguchi...

http://theraindrops.blogspot.com/2003_10_0...677923260460576

Key points:

- His stadium is an extreme pitchers' park (whereas Kaz Matsui's was better and Hideki Matsui's was an extreme hitters' park).

- He controls the hitting zone alot better than Kaz Matsui (who posted a .331 OBP last year).

- He's "exceptionally fast" and plays "plus D".

They also point to a link where someone's calculated "translations" for Japanese stats...

http://baseballguru.com/jalbright/analysisjalbright19.html

Using these translations, Iguchi's MLB-equivalent OBP the past 2 years would be .393 in 2003 and .358 in 2004. Of course, who knows if this can even be measured accurately.

You gotta go with at least 50 homeruns....come on?

Seriously, I think we'll get .270/.330/15/60/and 20 SBs. As long as he plays good 2b, and runs the bases well, he'll be worth it. I'm hoping that average is more like .280.

do you think this is what KW is doing to Willie? :finger

This guy is definitely going to be hit or miss. If he's a miss he's not going to get a hit vs the top 20 starters in the AL. If he's a hit he'll be like Ichiro.

The big difference betw him & Ichiro will be the power. If's he's a miss probably 15-20 HR's. If he's a hit 25-30 HR's. If you read some of the reports of his FKH games he hits most of his HR's in the corners. That place is as big as Safeco I think. With 330, 335 at the Cell he should get his share of dingers.

If he's a hit he'll be rookie of the year in the AL & possibly make the all-star team. Soriano will likely get to start but Kaitou should make the team. If he's a miss he'll still be able to hit the bottom 40 starters & weaker relievers in the game equally strong vs L & R. Even as a miss he should still be an upgrade over Harris.

But I just don't see any reason to think he will be a miss.

SB-wise, if he matches his OBP of 04 & he remains healthy put him down for 40. Otherwise put him down for 20.