Speed, Defense, Pitching UP

Texsox

OK, we've improved in these areas. Is it a better mix than offense? You cannot defense against a 450 foot shot. I've been drinking the koolaide, but starting to wonder if it really is this easy, why doesn't every team do it?

Stop drinking the koolaide! :) I think the point is, the way we tried doing it the past three years did not work, so we are trying it this way instead. The only alternative is a higher payroll, which we do not have and will not be getting, therefore this is the only feasable answer KW could come up with.

Personally, I like it. Should make for a more exciting brand of baseball.

-y2

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jan 25, 2005 -> 09:05 PM)
OK, we've improved in these areas. Is it a better mix than offense? You cannot defense against a 450 foot shot. I've been drinking the koolaide, but starting to wonder if it really is this easy, why doesn't every team do it?

I think this is a better offense then years past. This team might now score as many runs as it has in the past but I think it'll be more consistant and be able to manufacture runs in big games against good pitching. I'd honestly take this years offense over the ones we've had in the past, jmo.

You can't defense speed either.

The things I look forward to are more consistency from our offense, more consistency in our pitching, a wider range of talent, a solid bench, and the only question mark I think right now is a bullpen spot and Crede.

I'm so pumped for the season. I feel like having someone freeze my body until April.

QUOTE(striker62704 @ Jan 25, 2005 -> 10:29 PM)
The things I look forward to are more consistency from our offense, more consistency in our pitching, a wider range of talent, a solid bench, and the only question mark I think right now is a bullpen spot and Crede.

I'm so pumped for the season. I feel like having someone freeze my body until April.

I hate how after each move KW made made me more anxious to get to opening day....if it weren't for time i'd be a happier person...............and younger(even though i'm only 20)

I think this is a better offense then years past.  This team might now score as many runs as it has in the past but I think it'll be more consistant and be able to manufacture runs in big games against good pitching.  I'd honestly take this years offense over the ones we've had in the past, jmo.

On Paper yes I would take this version of the offesne than years past, lets see how it all works out before we say this one is better. IMO I think the "non" numbers will hurt but our overall numbers will be great.. if the pitching holds up

Last time I checked, the Sox set a franchise record for home runs in a season, and they did it with Maggs and Frank missing a combined 198 games (hell, Frank had one at bat in each of the 3 scrub games at Wrigley, so it was closer to 200.)

Uribe can provide almost as much pop as Jose, but he can get on a lot more.

Iguchi could potentially be an offensive upgrade over Harris/Uribe.

Is there any was Joe Crede of 2005 can be worse than the Joe Crede of 2004?

Konerko needs to start hitting on the road.

AJ is a major offensive upgrade over Olivo/Alomar/Burke/Davis

Rowand didn't start hitting until June last season.

So the question is, "Is a combination of a healthy Carl Everett,

Jermaine Dye, and Scott Podsednik better offensively than a Carlos Lee/Joe Borchard/Ross Gload/Timo Perez combo?"

I think so.

WE STILL HAVE MORE THAN ENOUGH POWER!!

Sorry, but don't forget Thomas and Ordonez were injured most of the year and we still ended up 2nd/3rd in the league in homeruns.

Dye = Lee ...when healthy

Uribe 23 hr last year Valentin hit 30hr and hit what, .213?

Everybody in our lineup with the exception of Pods and maybe AJ are capable of hitting well over 20 hrs. Don't worry about it. :bringit

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Jan 25, 2005 -> 10:45 PM)
Last time I checked, the Sox set a franchise record for home runs in a season, and they did it with Maggs and Frank missing a combined 198 games (hell, Frank had one at bat in each of the 3 scrub games at Wrigley, so it was closer to 200.)

Uribe can provide almost as much pop as Jose, but he can get on a lot more.

Iguchi could potentially be an offensive upgrade over Harris/Uribe.

Is there any was Joe Crede of 2005 can be worse than the Joe Crede of 2004?

Konerko needs to start hitting on the road.

AJ is a major offensive upgrade over Olivo/Alomar/Burke/Davis

Rowand didn't start hitting until June last season.

So the question is, "Is a combination of a healthy Carl Everett,

Jermaine Dye, and Scott Podsednik better offensively than a Carlos Lee/Joe Borchard/Ross Gload/Timo Perez combo?"

I think so.

All you need to say is Pod better than borchard/gload/perez combo....cuz obviously everett and dye are better than a plain Lee. And yes...Pod is better than that combo... :lolhitting :lolhitting

QUOTE(TheBlackSox8 @ Jan 25, 2005 -> 10:47 PM)
All you need to say is Pod better than borchard/gload/perez combo....cuz obviously everett and dye are better than a plain Lee.  And yes...Pod is better than that combo... :lolhitting  :lolhitting

Just for the record your avatar pisses me off :angry:

I think the difference in years past is that if we got someone on we were always waiting for the bit hit. Now we have better odds at manufacturing a run w/out the big hit.

Assuming Iggy can put up something near his 3 yr avg, our offense is down marginally as far as the big hit goes. It's up majorly as far as being able to squeeze out runs with small hits & just putting the ball in play.

Every team doesn't play at the Cell. A lot of players looked at the numbers last year & especially Uribe & started looking at the Sox as a potential place to play. I think this trend is going to continue if we're among the top 5 in HR's & runs again.

QUOTE(AstralSox @ Jan 25, 2005 -> 10:46 PM)
WE STILL HAVE MORE THAN ENOUGH POWER!!

Sorry, but don't forget Thomas and Ordonez were injured most of the year and we still ended up 2nd/3rd in the league in homeruns.

Dye = Lee ...when healthy

Uribe 23 hr last year Valentin hit 30hr and hit what, .213?

Everybody in our lineup with the exception of Pods and maybe AJ are capable of hitting well over 20 hrs.  Don't worry about it. :bringit

This is something I think people are looking over and not even realizing.

This team still does have all kinds of power. There is no doubt in my mind that the Sox will still hit around 200 homers.

However...Dye does not = Lee when healthy...Dye is a .270 25 80 .800 type player...Caballo is a .310 35 110 .900 type player, with a little more speed too.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Jan 25, 2005 -> 11:10 PM)

This team still does have all kinds of power.  There is no doubt in my mind that the Sox will still hit around 200 homers. 

However...Dye does not = Lee when healthy...Dye is a .270 25 80 .800 type player...Caballo is a .310 35 110 .900 type player, with a little more speed too.

But better defense and arm come with Dye......which was more of a necessity IMO...The loss of Lee doesn't hurt as much Offensively as the Gaining of Dye helps us Defensively

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Jan 25, 2005 -> 11:10 PM)

This team still does have all kinds of power.  There is no doubt in my mind that the Sox will still hit around 200 homers. 

I think a healthy dye at the cell hits 30 and 100.

I agree 100%, I think many people are overlooking the fact that LEE played at US Cellular while Dye played in Oakland, where, as we all know, hitting home runs is a lot harder than it looks...Oakland owned us the past few years BECAUSE of that...we went there thinking 'small park, homer time', only it didn't quite work out that way...the ball seems to die there, while here, it keeps going.

Also...people forget Everett has a winners attitude, and after his early season injury last year, combined with the fact he didn't feel as if his team stood a chance, he let himself go...on the Sox, Everett feels he has a REAL chance to win, so unlike last season, we get to see the REAL Everett. I think this guy is VASTLY underrated -- he has the heart of a champion and does ANYTHING to win.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jan 25, 2005 -> 11:15 PM)
I think a healthy dye at the cell hits 30 and 100.

I don't post much, but I thought I could add to this a bit.

The biggest change will hopefully be consistency. The thing that has frustrated me in the past is not knowing which team will show up, (5 home runs or no runs).

Case in point, the 2003 club had the same players as 2004 but the offense was not too great that year even though pitching stepped up. The way the team is setup now, at least we can keep teams scoring less with our defense and pitching and manufacture the couple of runs that we need to pull of a win.

I'd rather win 90-100 games by 1-2 run margin than 80 games by large margins.

Obviously we will see if they can execute the game plan.

QUOTE(Y2HH @ Jan 25, 2005 -> 11:18 PM)
I agree 100%, I think many people are overlooking the fact that LEE played at US Cellular while Dye played in Oakland, where, as we all know, hitting home runs is a lot harder than it looks...Oakland owned us the past few years BECAUSE of that...we went there thinking 'small park, homer time', only it didn't quite work out that way...the ball seems to die there, while here, it keeps going.

Also...people forget Everett has a winners attitude, and after his early season injury last year, combined with the fact he didn't feel as if his team stood a chance, he let himself go...on the Sox, Everett feels he has a REAL chance to win, so unlike last season, we get to see the REAL Everett.  I think this guy is VASTLY underrated -- he has the heart of a champion and does ANYTHING to win.

he was an all star in 2003....can he be in 05. IMO probably not...but it's up to him...not me. He will definitely improve upon 04's numbers.

All I can say on the Dye vs Lee debate is that most scouts & analysts that covered the off-season believe this signing to have been one of the best.

They are expecting a big year out of Dye at the Cell.

The fantasy league sites have written the same thing. In addition they expect Lee to decline a little in numbers for the Brewcrew.

The potential is there for a Maggs like year out of Dye.