Sox @ Rangers -- 5/29/05

• Replies 707
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ May 29, 2005 -> 03:05 PM)
The Dodgers were on fire for a few weeks there too.

We are so much better of a team than this on paper.  Especially at the bat.  This is just so freaking frustrating...every single guy on this team other than Iguchi and Pods are hitting well below their career averages.

Let's hope that rainout is a good thing...gets Frank back in the lineup 1 game faster.

It's terrible seeing the averages of 3-9 in the lineup. Meanwhile Soriano made a good catch.

QUOTE(fathom @ May 29, 2005 -> 01:04 PM)
We were winning games earlier on we had absolutely no reason to win.  How many games were we on here saying how lucky we got, etc.  Well, our hitting is worse now than it was back then, and our pitching has not been getting that tough 3rd out in the big inning.  Our smallball approach is simply awful.  We have 2 players capable of playing that way, and their ability is minimized by terrible hitters batting right after them.

We've got plenty of guys capable of playing small ball, but our guys just aren't smart enough to realize it.

Playing small ball includes geting a guy to 3rd and hitting a sacrifice fly. Everett and PK were doing a wonderful job of that earlier in the year, now they've stopped. Small ball includes hitting the ball to the right side when you've got a guy on 2nd, and we've stopped doing that.

The speed doesn't matter if you're playing smart ball. We've stopped playing smart ball, and it is costing us a ton of runs.

QUOTE(Whitesoxfan56 @ May 29, 2005 -> 08:07 PM)
atleast we all no the good o jon garland is back...i knew this wouldnt last long

Garland actually pitched very well for the first 5 innings. He got burned on some s***ty fastballs/location in the last inning. He should have used his curve more on righties....he had a great curve today.

Garland actually pitched very well for the first 5 innings.  He got burned on some s***ty fastballs/location in the last inning.  He should have used his curve more on righties....he had a great curve today.

yea just like last year, does good for a few innings, then has the one inning that f***s him up for the game, im glad you agreed with me

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ May 29, 2005 -> 08:08 PM)
We've got plenty of guys capable of playing small ball, but our guys just aren't smart enough to realize it.

The speed doesn't matter if you're playing smart ball.  We've stopped playing smart ball, and it is costing us a ton of runs.

If we're designed for smallball, Ozzie needs to try and play that way. Hell, the only time he used a hit-and-run in the last month was with Widger on first, and Uribe at the base. Why not use it for ground ball guys like Pods, Ozuna, Iguchi, and Harris?

QUOTE(AirScott @ May 29, 2005 -> 03:03 PM)
I began typing that at 5-3 when everyone was saying it was over.  I probably should have erased it, but if you give me really good odds, I'll consider it.

lol i have a rule where i don't bet on my teams, so i'm not gonna start betting against them.

and the twins aren't a better team than us. you want to talk about starters pitching over their heads, take a look at carlos silva's numbers, or any of their starters over the last two weeks. it's been ridiculous.

with as hot as they've been, they're still gonna be 4 back heading into the week. this has been a long road trip against some tough teams. this is merely the first bump in the road of the season, and the fact it hasn't come till now should be encouraging. it's not like we're struggling against the royals and tigers here.

Its is ok to start to get a bit worried with this team. Or are people just going to repeat the mantra of we have the best record in baseball, we have the best record in baseball. If you close your eyes you can almost hear the rhythmic hum during the mantra.

Garland's defense let him down a bit too - Uribe should have turned that double play...Texiera was running far, far harder than Uribe was on that ground ball last inning. If he turns that, then the inning ends with 1 run given up.

Dye should never have let that last ball past him either.

It's simple the Twins are built much better than we are. Their hitters are"hitters," they 8 Iguchi's in their line-up, everyone except Hunter. All the Twins hitters hit opposite way and that's why they have such a solid line-up. Their pitching staff doesn't walk anyone and their bullpen is so deep, that they can afford to take a pitcher out in the 6th or 7th without wasting the pen. Let's face it they are better than us again, we are very lucky that we have a 3.5 game lead. The scary thing is Johan and Nathan are struggling a little bit now.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ May 29, 2005 -> 01:10 PM)
Its is ok to start to get a bit worried with this team.  Or are people just going to repeat the mantra of we have the best record in baseball, we have the best record in baseball.  If you close your eyes you can almost hear the rhythmic hum during the mantra.

Yes, it's ok to worry now. We're in a funk...it's all led by our bats...and a lot of these guys show few signs that they're coming out of it.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ May 29, 2005 -> 08:10 PM)
Garland's defense let him down a bit too - Uribe should have turned that double play...Texiera was running far, far harder than Uribe was on that ground ball last inning.  If he turns that, then the inning ends with 1 run given up.

Dye should never have let that last ball past him either.

I agree about Uribe's lack of intensity when turning that DP. However, that inning was solely Garland's fault. He made bad pitch after bad pitch. He even got bailed out on a nice catch by Dye.

QUOTE(maggsmaggs @ May 29, 2005 -> 08:11 PM)
It's simple the Twins are built much better than we are.  Their hitters are"hitters," they 8 Iguchi's in their line-up, everyone except Hunter.  All the Twins hitters hit opposite way and that's why they have such a solid line-up.  Their pitching staff doesn't walk anyone and their bullpen is so deep, that they can afford to take a pitcher out in the 6th or 7th without wasting the pen.  Let's face it they are better than us again, we are very lucky that we have a 3.5 game lead.  The scary thing is Johan and Nathan are struggling a little bit now.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ May 29, 2005 -> 02:12 PM)
Yes, it's ok to worry now.  We're in a funk...it's all led by our bats...and a lot of these guys show few signs that they're coming out of it.

Who is showing that they are coming out of it?

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ May 29, 2005 -> 08:13 PM)
Who is showing that they are coming out of it?

I think he meant that no one really is showing signs. I do like the way Dye is swinging the bat right now. Clearly, our biggest offensive problem is Crede. The person I'm worried about is Pods (sorry Rowand44). So much of our offense has been based on him getting on base, and he seems to not be reaching base nearly as much as he was during our great stretch.

QUOTE(maggsmaggs @ May 29, 2005 -> 01:11 PM)
It's simple the Twins are built much better than we are.  Their hitters are"hitters," they 8 Iguchi's in their line-up, everyone except Hunter.  All the Twins hitters hit opposite way and that's why they have such a solid line-up.  Their pitching staff doesn't walk anyone and their bullpen is so deep, that they can afford to take a pitcher out in the 6th or 7th without wasting the pen.  Let's face it they are better than us again, we are very lucky that we have a 3.5 game lead.  The scary thing is Johan and Nathan are struggling a little bit now.

They are not better than us...almost 1 through 9 we have better players. Aside from Torii Hunter and maybe Joe Mauer, can you name a guy who they have who is a better player at their position than the guy we have? At least on paper, in terms of career numbers, we have better players at almost every position.

Our guys are just hugely underperforming. It's absolutely ridiculous. These guys should be so much better than they are but it seems like they just won't snap out of it.

QUOTE(AirScott @ May 29, 2005 -> 02:14 PM)
...that was touching.

at this point, any trade KW makes should be modeled after what the Twins have.  a good middle reliever and a hitter that uses all fields.

How about a hitting coach that preaches that. Greg Walker talks a good game in the papers. But listen to all the hitters that praise him. AJ talks about how Greg helped him open his stance a bit so he can get around on the pitch better. Thats just pulling the f***ing ball. This entire f***ing team besides the only person that cant understand Greg pulls the f***ing ball.

I would be happy to see Greg fired thank you.