pods Nickname

rangercal

Which nickname do you prefer for pods?  

45 members have voted

1. 1. Which nickname do you prefer for pods?

• The Mayor
    • Podzilla
    • Pods
    • Spod
    • other
    • I don't care much for nicknames

Seeing how Sean Casey is more popular and had it first, I think he needs a different one. I only have listened to the explanation , something about "running" the bases. I voted Podzilla but why not call him the President, or if that's too close to El Presidente then why not the Governor. I dunno

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Jun 1, 2005 -> 02:56 AM)
Seeing how Sean Casey is more popular and had it first, I think he needs a different one. I only have listened to the explanation , something about "running" the bases. I voted Podzilla but why not call him the President, or if that's too close to El Presidente then why not the Governor. I dunno

Fred Hoiberg had it first.

QUOTE(Leonard Zelig @ Jun 1, 2005 -> 10:03 AM)
Yes, Hawk pretty much has the say in this situation.  I just don't know what he thinks every player needs a nickname.

Did Hawk come up with it or was it the email from a fan that said what podsednik meant. Hawk called him that right before he read the email..so I wasn't sure if thats where he got it or what.

I don't mind it..the mayor rules the city and Scottie rules the base paths. :headbang

Either way like it or not...if Hawk uses it...It will stick

QUOTE(rangercal @ Jun 1, 2005 -> 12:30 AM)
Hawk called pods "the mayor" today.(podsednik is russian for mayor)  does anyone think that will stick? I really don't care too much for this nickname. 99% of the time his nicknames are great. Personally I will still call pods  "podzilla" or "pods"

there is only one mayor in chicago... and he ain't runnin bases.. he does run from the press though... :P

QUOTE(Leonard Zelig @ Jun 1, 2005 -> 03:03 PM)
Yes, Hawk pretty much has the say in this situation.  I just don't know what he thinks every player needs a nickname.

It's part of his schtick...just like "You can put it on the board...YES!!!" and all of his other little sayings. He is the typical Georgia southerner with all the little pithy sayings. I think the nicknames bring the players closer to the fans, especially if they were given that nickname while with the Sox, plus it's easier to remember them when they are gone.

For instance, if not for being nicknamed "The Deacon," I doubt we would remember Warren Newson as fondly. Or "The Little Hurt" Craig Grebeck.

QUOTE(TheDybber @ Jun 1, 2005 -> 09:01 AM)
For instance, if not for being nicknamed "The Deacon," I doubt we would remember Warren Newson as fondly.  Or "The Little Hurt" Craig Grebeck.

I remember Craig Grebeck because he hit a foul line drive right at my head that my dad somehow managed to catch. I couldn't see where the ball was coming from because it nailed the beer of the guy in front of me and it splattered all over me.

I still have that ball.

I'm still using Pods until Hawk gets me used to something else. He'll win in the end. Then again...I think that Pods would be the perfect spokesperson for that moving company "Pods" that lets you rent a container for shipping your belongings to your new home.