*Official* Eric Chavez Speculation/Dream Thread

GreatScott82

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jun 2, 2005 -> 02:16 PM)
That's why I threw the "if there were anything to it" in there.  Personally I don't think anything is going to happen on this front.

even if something does it wont be till july

• Replies 915
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly, who else would be interested in getting Chavez if Oakland did dangle him?

Out of all of the contending teams this year as of now:

AL:

Not the Yanks with Pay Rod

Not the Bo Sox with Mueller

Not the Rangers with Blaylock

Not the Angels with Dallas McPherson

Not the Os with Mora hitting 0.297

Not the Twinkies with Cuddyer and with limited payroll

NL:

Not the Cards with Rolen

Not the Braves with Chipper Jones

Not the Marlins with Lowell

Not the Giants with Alfonso hitting 0.328 (and the As would never trade him to Giants, it would hurt them big time with city popularity)

Not the Cubs with Aramis Ramirez

Not the Padres with Blum hitting 0.296

Not the LA Dodgers with Perez hitting 0.422

Not the Dbacks with Troy Glaus

I just do not see anyone else seriously being interested in Chavez, hence we should use the leverage to our advantage. Hopefully, Kenny screws Beane who has to be desperate to trade him to us.

i know i am just going to get slaughtered for posing this question, but why is everyone in love with a guy with numbers worse than paul konerko's? chavez has been putrid this season. are you all basing it on his track record? if so, why no love for paulie here when he's in the same exact boat as chavez? to me, this is a grass-is-greener situation. i'd rather have crede.

now, fire away!!

QUOTE(jerseysox @ Jun 2, 2005 -> 02:19 PM)
i know i am just going to get slaughtered for posing this question, but why is everyone in love with a guy with numbers worse than paul konerko's? chavez has been putrid this season. are you all basing it on his track record? if so, why no love for paulie here when he's in the same exact boat as chavez? to me, this is a grass-is-greener situation. i'd rather have crede.

now, fire away!!

http://www.soxtalk.com/forums/index.php?sh...ic=34558&st=275

Go read that thread.. nearly every argument pro and con has been covered already.

now, fire away!!

why would you rather have crede

Honestly, who else would be interested in getting Chavez if Oakland did dangle him?

Out of all of the contending teams this year as of now:

AL:

Not the Yanks with Pay Rod

Not the Bo Sox with Mueller

Not the Rangers with Blaylock

Not the Angels with Dallas McPherson

Not the Os with Mora hitting 0.297

Not the Twinkies with Cuddyer and with limited payroll

NL:

Not the Cards with Rolen

Not the Braves with Chipper Jones

Not the Marlins with Lowell

Not the Giants with Alfonso hitting 0.328 (and the As would never trade him to Giants, it would hurt them big time with city popularity)

Not the Cubs with Aramis Ramirez

Not the Padres with Blum hitting 0.296

Not the LA Dodgers with Perez hitting 0.422

Not the Dbacks with Troy Glaus

I just do not see anyone else seriously being interested in Chavez, hence we should use the leverage to our advantage. Hopefully, Kenny screws Beane who has to be desperate to trade him to us.

Excellent post. Chavez probably realizes that the Sox are his best bet to get out of Oakland since we have Cruddy.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jun 2, 2005 -> 02:20 PM)
Chavez used to hang with the Giambi boys, didn't he? His performance this season is down drastically. I'm not accusing him of anything, but it makes me wonder.

Id rather have a steriodless chavez then a joe crede

Edited by ScottPodRulez22

now, fire away!!

Our offense sucks and we could use another decent bat that can very likely heat up.

QUOTE(jerseysox @ Jun 2, 2005 -> 01:19 PM)

now, fire away!!

actually he is not in the same boat, Chavez has better career numbers, has a left handed bat, can hit to all fields, do not clog the bases and can steal, and is a 4 time gold glover in a much needed defensive position on a winning team.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jun 2, 2005 -> 01:06 PM)
I'm looking at the print edition of the Daily Herald right now.  Scott Gregor wrote a column this morning that this rumor exists.  There is no mention of how and where the rumor got started, nor are there any comments from Oakland or White Sox sources.

And we all know how Kenny Williams feels about tipping off the media after they lost Vizquel. He's going to be more secretive than Jerry Krause from now on.

I agree Dodgers might be the only other serious option. But not sure with Perez hitting 0.422.

They need starting pitching more than O this year, they are doing fine on O this year

Yep. People forget about Antonio Perez. Nakamura busted but Perez has been great so far. Also, Valenstache should be back after the All-Star break. I don't see them making a move for another 3rd baseman.

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Jun 2, 2005 -> 01:22 PM)
Excellent post.  Chavez probably realizes that the Sox are his best bet to get out of Oakland since we have Cruddy.

Errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Hell, if he really wants to leave the A's, he probably wouldn't even have to leave the state.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jun 2, 2005 -> 01:11 PM)
Dye is gone but Anderon or Sweeney is in his place-saving money, signing Spods.  Aj may be gone, but 2 years from now im sure something will be in his place, if not, maybe we tie him up in a contact this year through that year.  Contreas;s high salary will be gone, and we have several prospect that may be able to take his spot.  If not there will be more payroll flexibility with his salary to get a starter to fill in.  All you are really losing in our young rotation is El Duque for sure, which KW could fill in with our next great phenom or a free agent with that money.  1B will not be kong cause his money would be tied up in Chavez, so you would have Rogo or Gload playing that position.  Would you rather have the money tied up in a young all-star 3B or Kong at 1B with more holes that you can imagine with crede gone, and Dye gone etc.  Its easier to pick up a pitcher and a 1B than a pitcher and an all star 3B IMO.

I'd rather include Andersen or Sweeney in a Chavez trade than McCarthy. Outfield is the easiest position in baseball to fill.

Far as Kong, I want him nowhere near this club next year. I'm not aware of any 1B on the market so I couldn't tell you any alternatives-besides Gload. Don't count on Rogowski being our 1b alternative.

It may be easy to pick up a 1B and a pitcher, but it's even easier to pick up a 1B and an outfielder. Andersen over McCarthy is what I'd suggest to Beane.

You have this same lineup next year with Gload inplace of Konerko, Thomas DH'ing, and Randa at 3B, I'll bet it doesn't have as many problems scoring runs as this season. McCarthy may not be in the rotation next season, but he'll be a fixture for the following 4 years.

Edited by Flash Tizzle