H Reyonlds On Our Chances

Winnin Ugly

Paul (Chicago): Harold, how is it POSSIBLY defensible to say that the White Sox are not the favorite in the AL this year? What do they have to do to make believers out East?

Harold Reynolds: (11:20 AM ET ) When you start looking at playoffs and matching teams up, it becomes difficult to dominate. When you look at Anaheim for example and you match up with them man to man in a short series, anybody can win. That's it. It's no disrespect to the Sox, but the picture changes in the postseason. That's why the Yanks and Red Sox are so dangerous if they get in.

in other words, we don't want to have to actually do our job to scout other teams, so we are just gonna fall back on the teams we are familiar with so we can have more time to do blow on urinals with gammons.

QUOTE(bmags @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 10:59 AM)
in other words, we don't want to have to actually do our job to scout other teams, so we are just gonna fall back on the teams we are familiar with so we can have more time to do blow on urinals with gammons.

I'm okay with this answer-it is better than all the people who just say the White Sox aren't for real. We have to actually accomplish something significant in the post season, not just be the champions of the first half. I asked this question because I just didn't know what the Sox had to do, and I think HR was correct-they need to win in the post season.

Now, let's go out and prove that they should have gotten on the bandwagon in April when there was room. Now, get out of the way of it or you'll get run over.

QUOTE(MUScholar21 @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 04:02 PM)
I'm okay with this answer-it is better than all the people who just say the White Sox aren't for real.  We have to actually accomplish something significant in the post season, not just be the champions of the first half.  I asked this question because I just didn't know what the Sox had to do, and I think HR was correct-they need to win in the post season.

Now, let's go out and prove that they should have gotten on the bandwagon in April when there was room.  Now, get out of the way of it or you'll get run over.

i'd be okay with this question if they ever actually watched the white sox...but i absolutely can't imagine that they do

until we win in the postseason these guys are going to have some skepticism. that's just how it is. we're wasting time having hissy fits every time some douchebag in an espn jacket says we're not for real.

My personal favorite one of these was the guy on Sportscenter last night.

After their leadoff baseball highlights were all 3 teams from the AL East, and they brought Gammons in to talk about trades involving the AL East, the guy literally sat there and said basically:

"And to prove we here at ESPN don't have an east coast bias, Peter Gammons will be back later to talk about trades involving the rest of the major leagues".

Anywho, Everyone here knows that our postseason performance will hang on 3 guys named Buehrle, Garland, and Garcia, as much as Florida's performance in 03 hung on a guy named Beckett. Even I didn't believe it when I saw Beckett was pitching in game 6 against the Yankees on 3 days rest, but it worked.

Until we prove them wrong, there's not much else we can say.

The ESPN east coast lovers just don't like to acknowledge the fact that There is a better team other than their teams......a team that plays like a team every damn day. I guess you could say they are jealous...maybe that's why there is hardly any positive coverage when things go right...but there is plenty of negative coverage when things go wrong.

I don't get it....but that's the way they are.

Edited by TheBlackSox8

Why again do we care about a group of journalists who picked us for 4th in the division, preseason ranked us in the high teens to mid 20s in power rankings. And basically picked the Injuns and the Twinks to battle it out for the division. Yet we are all worried about a dude who has the 1920's handle of Buster, the Crypt Keeper(Boston Gammons), John "One Nut" Kruk, and HR making predictions.

Maybe we should worry next about Rob Neyer who doesnt like our uniforms as his reason to hate the sox.

If our pitching shows up we can beat those teams.

The only things to worry about is getting Jenks seasoned. Our offense has time to get better with situational hitting. Thats pretty much what we should work on.

We havent won a home playoff game since 1959, they should be skeptical of us!!! But who's to say we cant shock the world this year. Hey no one thought Boston could win, so lets have our turn. There's only 1 thing left to do...Win the Whole f***ing Thing!!!

WHO CARES!!!!!

Gues what, during most of my life, the Yankees have been in the playoffs and have won several World Series.

You know what else has NEVER happened in my lifetime ... the White Sox won any kind of playoff series.

Get over it. So far we have won the trophy they give away ever year for the team with the best record in the first half ... Oh wait, they don't give that to anyone.

Juan, Paterson, NJ: Can you believe the Yankees are in first place ??? How did this happen?? How do you think the AL East is going to end up? If you're telling me the Yankees are gonna make the playoffs after there up & down first half, then I am done with baseball for this year!!

Jim Caple: (1:01 PM ET ) I don't think they'll make the playoffs -- too many holes, too old (though they can bash). I think the wild card will come out of the Central. And I pick the White Sox to go to the World Series.

Aaron (Las Vegas): Why has no one noticed that the White Sox are in the bottom half of the league in Hits, AVG, OBP, and only 5th in Runs. Pitching has clearly carried this team, but don't you think they come down to earth?

Jim Caple: (1:19 PM ET ) Yeah, well, last time I checked, pitching was a rather important part of baseball. I keep seeing people say the Sox don't score enough, they can't hit enough but sheesh, when you have good pitching, that means you don't have to hit that well. Whether they can win the World Series, I don't know (I pick the Cardinals there) but I think they have a very good team.

Kevin (Cincinnati): Does ESPN know that there are 28 Major League Baseball teams OTHER THAN the Yankees and Red Sox? We are going to have to watch these teams all through the playoffs anyways.

Jim Caple: (1:30 PM ET ) I hear you, though I'm hardly one to complain since I wrote a book about the Yankees. But my bet is that we won't see at least one of those teams this October, and maybe not both, if the Orioles can get a little more pitching.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 12:52 PM)
I have a feeling both the Yanks and Red Sox are making the playoffs. I agree with what Harold said. It could be a Seattle Mariners type season. I'm hoping it isn't though. I'm just a pessimist, so don't mind me.

It very well could be. But as a fan ... YA GOTTA BELIEVE!!!!

QUOTE(Winnin Ugly @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 03:42 PM)
Paul (Chicago): Harold, how is it POSSIBLY defensible to say that the White Sox are not the favorite in the AL this year? What do they have to do to make believers out East?

Harold Reynolds: (11:20 AM ET ) When you start looking at playoffs and matching teams up, it becomes difficult to dominate. When you look at Anaheim for example and you match up with them man to man in a short series, anybody can win. That's it. It's no disrespect to the Sox, but the picture changes in the postseason. That's why the Yanks and Red Sox are so dangerous if they get in.

We sould all know by now Reynolds is a tool

Edited by JoshPR