White Sox vs. Red Sox 7/23 Game Thread

DBAHO

Dj and Hawk echoed my sentiments throughout the entire game! And I'm not one to always agree w/ them  :bang

Hmmm .... I heard them compliment Miller frequently, oh, about every inning or so.

• Replies 707
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 02:08 AM)
I couldn't agree with you more.  Vizquel is always a tough out, and someone the opposition doesn't want to face in a big situation. I GUARANTEE you that he can hit a sac fly just as well as Uribe can.

Right on.

I wish we could find a way to get him here, but right now, as Cerb noted, other then Vizquel, and the two he mentioned, there just is not a hell of a lot on this year's market to make a difference.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 02:11 AM)
As much as I would have been opposed to this as little as a week ago, I think KW should make a run at Griffey. With Thomas out, he can save his legs part time and DH him. He still has prodigious power. His bat has slowed so he may flourish in the breaking ball happy AL. I have no idea what Cincinatti would want. I doubt they want any outfielders, and how much you gave up probably is tied to how much of the contract you are willing to assume.

They want pitching, and more pitching. Depending on how much money they'd pay of Griffey's contract, I'd give them McCarthy, and a few more higher level prospects.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jul 23, 2005 -> 09:10 PM)
Bill Melton just said that this team can only score runs right now via the long ball.  They dont do the same things they did to start the season.  He said outside of yesterday we havent been hitting good at all.  That every team seems to 5 hit us.

Its not just me making these comments.

A few weeks ago, I said we must get 4 hits or less in more games than any other team in baseball. I still think it's true.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Jul 23, 2005 -> 08:11 PM)
We couldn't beat Wade Miller in a low scoring game at the Cell.

Our pitching is not going to be the problem. Its our offense. This is exactly what we had last year. Last night we bang out a bunch of homers and then tonight nothing. El Duque pitched his ass off.

BTW this is why I wont cry if they include Marte in a trade.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jul 23, 2005 -> 08:11 PM)
So if our Sox win tomorrow do you think Bosox fans start ending their teams playoff chances??  I mean that'd be a split maybe they can't play with the big boys either.  I don't know, maybe the Red Sox should start selling if they lose tomorrow.  Crap, what is that??  They're 9.5 games worse then our Sox and 10.5 worse if they lose tomorrow.  s***, they can't play with the big boys, they're done.

:notworthy great post sir

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jul 23, 2005 -> 08:11 PM)
So if our Sox win tomorrow do you think Bosox fans start ending their teams playoff chances??  I mean that'd be a split maybe they can't play with the big boys either.  I don't know, maybe the Red Sox should start selling if they lose tomorrow.  Crap, what is that??  They're 9.5 games worse then our Sox and 10.5 worse if they lose tomorrow.  s***, they can't play with the big boys, they're done.

Like it was said earlier in the year against the Angels. When you split at home, that's a like a loss. They came into our own home and beat the "best team" in baseball twice already.

For those interested in Griffey, go look at the Inside Beat forum for the "New Idea" thread.

QUOTE(Cerbaho-WG @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 02:11 AM)
He's a very streaky hitter and while he would be an upgrade over Crede offensively, he isn't a big presence that would help the lineup. As for Freel, please don't lump him in with Pablo Ozuna. Freel can play anywhere but does this crazy thing called take walks.

Like I said, Freel has off the field issues that I'm not sure KW would be thrilled to trade a top prospect for.

Right, so get another bat that can help you manufacture runs and can help the team on defense. Emphasis on "manufacture" runs.

If the team has been having so many bad at bats, get a guy who generally has good at bats and fits the scheme of what they want to do, which is play excellent fundamental baseball.

It's up to Williams, I think this board has identified a guy or two.

Look one thing I will agree with is the glass slipper is starting to fall off the foot. That's for damn sure.

But, no one is going to take this team lightly, they are being scouted this year like never before because of their early success.

I think you are seeing some of that. Ozzie and the coaches need to change the approach and play the ball that got them this far. Right now, that's a been a struggle as of late, and they are reverting back to bad habits because of their lack of success the last two weeks, which makes it appear even worse.

This week will be interesting, the holes are starting to really show themselves. Let's hope that something happens to shake things up... be it a trade, or a bust out type of game.

Edited by kapkomet

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 23, 2005 -> 09:10 PM)
So you're saying you don't think we can beat them in low scoring game at the Cell?

Well lets see. We couldnt beat Miller in a low scoring game at the Cell. So my guess is theres a good chance we dont beat Johnson at the Cell.

Bill Melton also just said that with 2 men on in the 9th, Rowand was probably trying to hit a home run. They have had 2 meetings in the last month about pitch selection and working the counts. Nothing seems to be working. Uribe just reacts.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jul 23, 2005 -> 09:16 PM)
Bill Melton also just said that with 2 men on in the 9th, Rowand was probably trying to hit a home run.  They have had 2 meetings in the last month about pitch selection and working the counts.  Nothing seems to be working.  Uribe just reacts.

Hopefully he's singling someone out for a trade.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 02:16 AM)
Bill Melton also just said that with 2 men on in the 9th, Rowand was probably trying to hit a home run.  They have had 2 meetings in the last month about pitch selection and working the counts.  Nothing seems to be working.  Uribe just reacts.

Even though I was upset with the result, it's not terrible that Rowand was swinging at first pitch. Schilling never walks hitters, and you want to hit his fastball instead of his splitter. I think Rowand was in-between on whether to pull the ball, or go the opposite way, and he ended up jamming himself.

Hopefully he's singling someone out for a trade.

Two things really stood out to me, Uribe's terrible at bats and Marte's frustrating inconsistency.

Of course, there were more problems but those two just happened to stick out.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 02:14 AM)
Right, so get another bat that can help you manufacture runs and can help the team on defense.  Emphasis on "manufacture" runs.

If the team has been having so many bad at bats, get a guy who generally has good at bats and fits the scheme of what they want to do, which is play excellent fundamental baseball.

JimH...we don't agree on much, but your 2nd paragraph is exactly the way I feel about Uribe vs Vizquel. I'm so sick of guys just giving away outs with terrible approaches at the plate.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jul 23, 2005 -> 08:18 PM)
Two things really stood out to me, Uribe's terrible at bats and Marte's frustrating inconsistency.

Of course, there were more problems but those two just happened to stick out.

People need to put this into their memory banks when we talk trade. During the AJ trade talks Martes name has been included and everyone went nuts saying we cant get rid of Marte. Marte is inconsistant, he has a hard time getting out lefties, and he gives up gopher balls in crucial situations. I bet he is gone.

Damn, people just don't get it. There are still over two months of baseball left to play before the playoffs. Being 10 games up doesn't mean anything. Talk to me after they play the Red Sox, Yankees, and Twins (who have been a second half team for years). Unfortuately, it will be past the trading deadline. Kenny doesn't want to upset chemistry. This team will fade and get bounced out of the playoffs if they still get in. All because they were content to be good, and afraid to be great.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 02:20 AM)
People need to put this into their memory banks when we talk trade.  During the AJ trade talks Martes name has been included and everyone went nuts saying we cant get rid of Marte.  Marte is inconsistant, he has a hard time getting out lefties, and he gives up gopher balls in crucial situations.  I bet he is gone.

There's no rule that states you have to have 2 lefties in your bullpen. Most teams would love to have just one lefty like Cotts. Politte has been excellent vs lefties this year, and Viz is usually solid against them.

QUOTE(Big Hurtin @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 02:21 AM)
Damn, people just don't get it.  There are still over two months of baseball left to play before the playoffs.  Being 10 games up doesn't mean anything.  Talk to me after they play the Red Sox, Yankees, and Twins (who have been a second half team for years).  Unfortuately, it will be past the trading deadline.  Kenny doesn't want to upset chemistry.  This team will fade and get bounced out of the playoffs if they still get in.  All because they were content to be good, and afraid to be great.

Just be thankful this slump is taking place now, and not in two weeks. It's a good thing that Ozzie/KW are seeing this team struggle right now. I don't think it's critical to say they've been a little full of themselves lately. I've seen way too many comments about how if it's not broke, we won't fix it.

QUOTE(Big Hurtin @ Jul 23, 2005 -> 08:21 PM)
Damn, people just don't get it.  There are still over two months of baseball left to play before the playoffs.  Being 10 games up doesn't mean anything.  Talk to me after they play the Red Sox, Yankees, and Twins (who have been a second half team for years).  Unfortuately, it will be past the trading deadline.  Kenny doesn't want to upset chemistry.  This team will fade and get bounced out of the playoffs if they still get in.  All because they were content to be good, and afraid to be great.

KW is going to do something. It may not be the right thing, but at least he'll do something.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 23, 2005 -> 08:19 PM)
JimH...we don't agree on much, but your 2nd paragraph is exactly the way I feel about Uribe vs Vizquel.  I'm so sick of guys just giving away outs with terrible approaches at the plate.

This is why Uribe is batting in the .230's.

Even Bruuce Levine is talking about our bad pitch selection and we dont get on base. Maybe this will finally sink in with everyone. Our offense isnt very good. AJ Burnett would be nice and all. But we need Bats. Vizquell should be somone to target. Our pitching will not be the reason we falter. It will be our bats, just like in 2000.