Twins or A's?

VAfan

QUOTE(Soxnbears01 @ Jul 23, 2005 -> 11:46 AM)
if the a's win the wildcard,i'm going to cry, seriously

If the A's happend to amke it and we cant beat them then we dont deserve to be there! Supposedly we have a better pitching staff than they do, but they seem to clubber our guys and we can hit there's! I say we can beat them, but guys like Konerko, Rowand , Thomas and Uribe need to be patient and drive the ball where its pitched!

QUOTE(Balance @ Jul 23, 2005 -> 06:45 PM)
If it were up to me, we wouldn't have to play a team from the AL West at all in the playoffs!  But that's just me.

The Sox finish with the best record, we play the lowest record team not in our division.

The odds of us facing an AL East team are slim.

QUOTE(knightni @ Jul 23, 2005 -> 05:48 PM)
The Sox finish with the best record, we play the lowest record team not in our division.

The odds of us facing an AL East team are slim.

This is why they need to make me commissioner of baseball.

:lolhitting

I think the Twins will win the wild card and we will win the division.

I do not think we've wrapped it up, yet, however.

We've had some guys with sore backs, etc., and anything can happen to decimate a team.

My prediction though is we win the division by 8 games, the Twinks get the wild card and anything is possible in the playoffs.

QUOTE(Ishmookie @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 01:19 AM)
either way i dont want to play any of the teams that are left if the twins win the wild card, then its down to red sox/angels neither of those teams excite me

I get it now. You want to play the Kansas City Royals in the ALDS, followe by the Tampa Bay Devil Rays in the ALCS ... to get to a World Series matchup against the mighty Colorado Rockies.

QUOTE(VAfan @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 10:06 AM)
I'd like to hear a response to my other point.

Anyone think the A's young starters will fade in September-October after their innings start adding up?

Zito and Harden will be fresh. Zito's thrown over 200 innings the past 4 years and will do it again this year, barring injury. Harden just eclipsed 90 innings in his last start. And Blanton will probably be "fresh" enough for most of September, having only thrown 109.2 innings up to this point. Haren could be, and Saarloos has already thrown more innings this year then any year in his career.

And how much would that matter if they have a 5-7 game lead in the Wild Card? The Twins have found no spark whatsoever, and both Baltimore and New York's pitching staffs have been very inconsistent or even flat out bad this year.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Jul 26, 2005 -> 01:44 AM)
Zito and Harden will be fresh.  Zito's thrown over 200 innings the past 4 years and will do it again this year, barring injury.  Harden just eclipsed 90 innings in his last start.  And Blanton will probably be "fresh" enough for most of September, having only thrown 109.2 innings up to this point.  Haren could be, and Saarloos has already thrown more innings this year then any year in his career.

And how much would that matter if they have a 5-7 game lead in the Wild Card?  The Twins have found no spark whatsoever, and both Baltimore and New York's pitching staffs have been very inconsistent or even flat out bad this year.

Remember how you agreed with me in April(or May) that the Sox and the Twins were the two best teams in the A.L., just making sure. :) :P

QUOTE(3E8 @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 03:09 PM)
Question:  If the Sox clinched the division and home field advantage, and purposely losing the last 4-game set against the Twins would help them edge out the A's for the wild card, would you do it?

You never ever throw games.... unless it would involve the yanks or red sox in missing the playoffs.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jul 26, 2005 -> 02:46 AM)
Remember how you agreed with me in April(or May) that the Sox and the Twins were the two best teams in the A.L., just making sure. :)  :P

Ya I think I do...lol

Then again, I did not know then that Johan would have an ERA in the high 3's, and I didn't think that the Twins offense would be this bad.

As of right now, they are sputtering badly, and need some sort of spark offensively...and his name is not Bret Boone.

You also have to remember that I love how the A's and Beane go about structuring their ballclub, and I had said early on that I would not be surprised if they are a surprise team this year. What is scary to think about is that this A's team will probably be better next year. That, and you and I have that friendly bet.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Jul 26, 2005 -> 08:30 AM)
Ya I think I do...lol

Then again, I did not know then that Johan would have an ERA in the high 3's, and I didn't think that the Twins offense would be this bad.

As of right now, they are sputtering badly, and need some sort of spark offensively...and his name is not Bret Boone. 

You also have to remember that I love how the A's and Beane go about structuring their ballclub, and I had said early on that I would not be surprised if they are a surprise team this year.  What is scary to think about is that this A's team will probably be better next year.  That, and you and I have that friendly bet.

Shh... that's devil-talk. Everyone knows that they don't have Mulder/Hudson anymore so they can't win.

Oops.

QUOTE(Sox Hustler @ Jul 23, 2005 -> 11:53 AM)
Every sox fan will but then again, remember when the Twins played the A's in 02 I think it was and the A's had completely owned them in the regular season, only to have the Twins kick their ass in the post. If we do face the A's in the post I hope we do the same.

Think about it, if we face them and kick their ass, it would make the post much more special. Just the thought of facing them though is kinda of like saying go home sox.

We're gonna have to learn how to beat Oakland sometime. If we can't get past them then we don't deserve to win squat.