Frank Thomas and injuries

sweatpants

I have been a White Sox fan the last 20 years and my favorite player since 1990 was Frank Thomas. I collected all his cards and magazine covers, but I don't know if this has been discussed before, but doesn't it seem like when Frank is hitting well, no injuries are bothering him. When he isn't hitting well, then his injuries are nagging him. There was a article in Sports Illustrated a while back hinting Pete Sampras would try to fake in an injury in the middle of a match he's losing in a scapegoat ploy to losing to lesser foe. I do know Frank is hurt, but could he be embelishing it a little bit because he's hitting so bad(average wise)?

:gosoxretro:

QUOTE(sweatpants @ Jul 26, 2005 -> 11:03 AM)
I have been a White Sox fan the last 20 years and my favorite player since 1990 was Frank Thomas. I collected all his cards and magazine covers, but I don't know if this has been discussed before, but doesn't it seem like when Frank is hitting well, no injuries are bothering him.  When he isn't hitting well, then his injuries are nagging him. There was a article in Sports Illustrated a while back hinting Pete Sampras would try to fake in an injury in the middle of a match he's losing in a scapegoat ploy to losing to lesser foe.  I do know Frank is hurt, but could he be embelishing it a little bit because he's hitting so bad(average wise)?

Are you even a Sox fan...

I'm sorry but your lucky you aren't getting flamed worse...

:stick

I have been a White Sox fan the last 20 years and my favorite player since 1990 was Frank Thomas. I collected all his cards and magazine covers, but I don't know if this has been discussed before, but doesn't it seem like when Frank is hitting well, no injuries are bothering him.  When he isn't hitting well, then his injuries are nagging him. There was a article in Sports Illustrated a while back hinting Pete Sampras would try to fake in an injury in the middle of a match he's losing in a scapegoat ploy to losing to lesser foe.  I do know Frank is hurt, but could he be embelishing it a little bit because he's hitting so bad(average wise)?

You are right on the money with your theory.

Frank HAS to be faking it. It all makes sense! My God, why didn't I think of that.

There is NO way he could still be hurting after surgery. Surgery heals, it doesn't cause more pain. The team has the best record in baseball...you're right i would NOT want to be on that team!

Pete Sampras & Tennis = Frank Thomas & Baseball. Perfect comparison.

Can we trade him for AJ Burnett?

um...imagine it in green.

I have been a White Sox fan the last 20 years and my favorite player since 1990 was Frank Thomas.   I collected all his cards and magazine covers, but I don't know if this has been discussed before, but doesn't it seem like when Frank is hitting well, no injuries are bothering him.  When he isn't hitting well, then his injuries are nagging him.   There was a article in Sports Illustrated a while back hinting Pete Sampras would try to fake in an injury in the middle of a match he's losing in a scapegoat ploy to losing to lesser foe.  I do know Frank is hurt, but could he be embelishing it a little bit because he's hitting so bad(average wise)?

I'm dumbfounded. I'm stupified. I'm ........ speechless.

Edited by Yossarian

QUOTE(sweatpants @ Jul 26, 2005 -> 12:03 PM)

I hate you.

QUOTE(sweatpants @ Jul 26, 2005 -> 05:03 PM)
I have been a White Sox fan the last 20 years and my favorite player since 1990 was Frank Thomas.   I collected all his cards and magazine covers, but I don't know if this has been discussed before, but doesn't it seem like when Frank is hitting well, no injuries are bothering him.  When he isn't hitting well, then his injuries are nagging him.   There was a article in Sports Illustrated a while back hinting Pete Sampras would try to fake in an injury in the middle of a match he's losing in a scapegoat ploy to losing to lesser foe.  I do know Frank is hurt, but could he be embelishing it a little bit because he's hitting so bad(average wise)?

:stupid :huh :huh:

My God!!!! :headshake Dumbest thing said EVER!!!

Do you really think a Future hall of famer is gonna shame himself like that?? Do you really think Frank likes to be injured and NOT helping his team while there winning?? If he didn't do that all the years they sucked like 95 and 99 i don't think he's gonna do it know that we got the THE BEST RECORD IN BASEBALL

Try again, have a nice day :stick ;)

Ohh

but doesn't it seem like when Frank is hitting well, no injuries are bothering him. When he isn't hitting well, then his injuries are nagging him.

NO s*** SHERLOCK :chair

Edited by JoshPR

QUOTE(JoshPR @ Jul 26, 2005 -> 02:02 PM)
:stupid  :huh  :huh:

My God!!!!  :headshake  Dumbest thing said EVER!!!

Do you really think a Future hall of famer is gonna shame himself like that?? Do you really think Frank likes to be injured and NOT helping his team while there winning?? If he didn't do that all the years they sucked like 95 and 99 i don't think he's gonna do it know that we got the THE BEST RECORD IN BASEBALL

Try again, have a nice day  :stick  ;)

Ohh

but doesn't it seem like when Frank is hitting well, no injuries are bothering him. When he isn't hitting well, then his injuries are nagging him.

NO s*** SHERLOCK :chair

Post of the Century worthy..... :notworthy

When he isn't hitting well, then his injuries are nagging him.

Yeah...it kind a works that way.

Also, here are other revelations about Franks actions:

When he's thristy, then he drinks water.

When he's hungry, then he eats food.

When he vomits, he just read your post.

:puke

QUOTE(RibbieRubarb @ Jul 26, 2005 -> 06:06 PM)
Yeah...it kind a works that way.

Also, here are other revelations about Franks actions:

When he's thristy, then he drinks water.

When he's hungry, then he eats food.

When he vomits, he just read your post.

:puke

Third part is gold. Thanks for the laugh Ribbie :lol:

Ok Sweatpants,

from what I understand is that Frank thomas broke his navicular bone in his ankle. Here is a website showing you what that bone is, and what it is used for.

http://www.arthroscopy.com/sp09012.htm

The navicular bone is a key structural component in the formation of the arch of the foot. When this bone is in the proper position, the arch is maintained. However, if this bone moves out of position, towards the bottom of the foot (plantar surface), then the arch begins to sag and disappear.

Here is some more info:

http://www.emedicine.com/sports/topic85.htm

Background: The navicular plays an important role in maintaining the medial longitudinal arch of the foot. Commonly, fractures of the navicular are not evident on plain radiographs. This often leads to a delay in diagnosis, which may result in prolonged disabling foot pain in individuals, particularly young athletes. The 4 types of navicular fractures are (1) cortical avulsion, (2) tuberosity, (3) body, and (4) stress.

Tell me something, do you think Frank Thomas would just fake an injury on a year like the Sox are having? Conversely, looking at the nature of the injury and the subsequent surgery, isnt it possible that Thomas could re-injure the foot very easily and irritate the injury often?

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Jul 26, 2005 -> 06:15 PM)
Ok Sweatpants,

from what I understand is that Frank thomas broke his navicular bone in his ankle. Here is a website showing you what that bone is, and what it is used for.

http://www.arthroscopy.com/sp09012.htm

Here is some more info:

http://www.emedicine.com/sports/topic85.htm

Tell me something, do you think Frank Thomas would just fake an injury on a year like the Sox are having?  Conversely, looking at the nature of the injury and the subsequent surgery, isnt it possible that Thomas could re-injure the foot very easily and irritate the injury often?

I know you might have posted all of this somewhat sarcastically, but it was interesting stuff. I only knew Frank had a bad ankle, now I know more and I thank you.

QUOTE(UofIChiSox @ Jul 26, 2005 -> 01:22 PM)
I know you might have posted all of this somewhat sarcastically, but it was interesting stuff.  I only knew Frank had a bad ankle, now I know more and I thank you.

No problem. I wasnt trying to be really sarcastic, I figured everyone had taken care of that for me. Alot of people dont really grasp how bad of an injury Thomas had(or still has), and figure its as simple as waiting for the ankle to heal. That isnt close to the truth, he could break the same bone over again if he puts pressure on the right part of his foot. He has screws in his ankle that wont come out. I wouldnt think you would be able to fake swelling in the ankle, or I wouldnt think that he would can the season because he doesnt feel like he is getting good ABs.

Personally, I hope Frank doesn't come back this year. There is just something about the vibe he creates. With him back the Sox were slowly creeping into that dead mode that killed them in the second half the past few years. Now that he's gone again, the Sox seem to be getting the fire back the last couple of games.

Besides, Frank can't hit for average and can barely make it first base. He's done. Finished. Kaput. I love Frank and all he has done but his time with the Sox has come and gone. It's over.

I can't believe Kenny Williams was talking about a contract extension so Frank can finish his career here. That would be a BAD, BAD move.

Dear Frank, You should have corked your bat, done roids and blown kisses to the crowd. Played real loud rap music on your boom box in the clubhouse too. Then maybe you would have earned your props and some respect from the fans. Edited by Yossarian