what is Joe Morgan's problem??

LosMediasBlancas

So, he's always kinda been a dick about Sandberg getting inducted into the HOF. This morning, I heard that now he says he won't be in attendance at the ceremony. Apparently, he has some kind of rank or title in the HOF and has never missed any HOF events. Even one if his friends said he found it hard to believe Joe won't be there. His excuse was 'family commitments'.

Anyone know the story?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess he has a huge problem with Sandberg making the hall. I have never been told what this problem is. I guess he thinks he is the be-all end-all in second basemen, and noone after him should be inducted.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Jul 29, 2005 -> 09:55 AM)
I guess he has a huge problem with Sandberg making the hall.  I have never been told what this problem is.  I guess he thinks he is the be-all end-all in second basemen, and noone after him should be inducted.

Did he go when the veterans committee put in the guy from Pittsburgh?

Sandberg's special day won't include Morgan

Joe Morgan, the 11th second baseman elected to the National Baseball Hall of Fame and the Hall's vice chairman of the board of directors, has decided not to be in Cooperstown, N.Y., on Sunday when the 17th second baseman -- Cubs great Ryne Sandberg -- is inducted.

''Kind of ironic,'' Sandberg said of festivities that will include a record 50 of the 62 living Hall of Famers.

Morgan, who has missed only four induction ceremonies in 15 years, says a family commitment is keeping him away. Perhaps, though it seems one more bitter moment has been added to the Morgan-Sandberg feud.

Morgan, who was highly critical of Sandberg's decision to walk away from the Cubs in the middle of an awful 1994 Cubs season, never has been a vocal supporter of his fellow second baseman. When Sandberg missed the Hall during his first two appearances on the ballot, Morgan never stepped forward to voice support.

FOR COMPARISON'S SAKE

Here's how Ryne Sandberg stacks up against four other Hall of Fame second basemen (Nellie Fox, Rogers Hornsby, Joe Morgan and Jackie Robinson) in the three major offensive categories:

BATTING AVERAGE

Hornsby .358

Robinson .311

Fox .288

SANDBERG .285

Morgan .271

HOME RUNS

Hornsby 301

SANDBERG 282

Morgan 268

Robinson 137

Fox 35

RBI

Hornsby 1,584

Morgan 1,133

SANDBERG 1,061

Fox 790

Robinson 734

His silence spoke volumes about where he thought Sandberg fit in among second basemen in baseball history.

Whether Morgan approves or not, Sandberg will find his place in the Hall on Sunday.

Where Sandberg ranks among the 17 second baseman is up for debate. Some critics argue the 6-2 Sandberg didn't have enough range to rank among the best second basemen of all time.

Still, he has the highest fielding percentage among second basemen at .989, and his 277 homers were the most by a second baseman at the time of his retirement.

During his landmark 1984 season, Sandberg was more than just an offensive weapon, showing he could be a force at second base, committing only six errors in 156 games of his MVP season.

Don Zimmer, the Cubs' third-base coach in 1984, says he might be most impressed by Sandberg's consistency on defense.

''For a second baseman, that is something else,'' Zimmer said of the six errors. ''You get bunt plays, tag plays, double-play balls where guys are running up your back. To make six or seven errors in a season is just phenomenal.''

Sandberg's two greatest drawbacks were his low-key personality and the fact the Cubs never reached a World Series during his career in Chicago.

The best second baseman of all-time? Rogers Hornsby, who won seven batting titles -- including six in a row. He hit .400 or better three times and won two Triple Crowns. Hornsby, considered the finest right-handed hitter of all time, is the only player to lead the league in slugging percentage and on-base percentage six consecutive years.

Morgan might be second-best.

Morgan, who showcased his skills during the Cincinnati Reds' ''Big Red Machine'' years, was a complete player who had speed, power, could hit for average and was a great fielder. He was the National League MVP in 1975 and '76. From 1973 to 1977, he won five Gold Gloves. Famous for his arm flap in the batter's box -- a timing trick suggested by former teammate and Hall of Fame second baseman Nellie Fox -- Morgan belted 268 home runs. Only Jeff Kent, Sandberg and Hornsby have more.

As for Sandberg, he was the best second baseman of his era.

Sandberg has the highest fielding percentage (.989) of any second baseman since 1900 and is the only second baseman to start nine All-Star Games. From 1982 to 92, he led all second basemen in average, homers, RBI, runs, extra-base hits, fielding percentage and 500-assist seasons.

Despite what Morgan thinks, come Sunday, Sandberg will simply be known as a Hall of Famer. There is no disputing that.

''I've never considered myself a Hall of Famer,'' Sandberg said. ''I've never preached it or even talked about it because I never thought that way.

''It was an honor to be on the ballot the first year. I just remember the big thrill of being out of the game five years, and my name was on the ballot for the Hall of Fame. That was an honor right there.''

Edited by robinventura23

The hell with Morgan. He’s just jealous that Sandberg is better than he is.

BTW, I heard something about Morgan being somewhat racist again this past Sunday (when the Cubs were on ESPN). Because he was agreeing with Baker about something? Anyone know if this is true or if it sounds true?

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Jul 30, 2005 -> 12:52 AM)
Sandberg is a good player but I wouldnt really call him HOF material..... sure his fielding percantage was awesome but if you play such a small range it should be damn good.

looking at Sandberg's stats if Baines isn't elected to the HOF than that is a crime because Baines is better in almost every offensive statistic except Stolen Bases.

Sandberg was clearly the best 2B in baseball for a number of years in the 80's. He is definitely a HOF.

Morgan has always had a problem with Sandberg for some reason. One thought - Sandberg is white and Morgan resented all of the attention Ryne received. Whatever the reason, Morgan has shown no class in this situation.

I hope when Morgan's buddy Barry Bonds gets elected, Morgan and all of the other HOF members boycott because they don't think Bonds' numbers are legit. Then, and only then, will I have respect for Morgan. I doubt it will happen, though.