White Sox Acquire Blum

AddisonStSox

QUOTE(LowerCaseRepublican @ Jul 31, 2005 -> 07:03 PM)
To extropolate on Ian's sig quote: Soxtalk seems to be home of the GMs who never make bad trades ever and are totally perfect.  Just ask 'em!  I guess people need reminding of "My boy Olivo" being called a Hall of Famer from the year previous.  f***ing kneejerk reactionaries.

Too many teams saw themselves as contenders and the market was s*** so KW did what he could to upgrade the team.  Blum is an asset defensively off the bench and he's currently got a higher OBP than Crede and is just .014 points below Crede in batting average.  I'm happy that we got more bench help with a versatile player for a prospect -- and I think Olivo proves that we'll never know how prospects will pan out.

Yes, it'd be nice to get another lefty reliever but the market was s***.  No other team made a huge splash unless you consider Matt Lawton the trade that will catapault your team into the playoffs

Christ, if I didn't know better, I would think that the Sox had a white flag sale & weren't 14 games up in the Central right now with the way some of the Chicken Littles are acting.

I think with some of the people here on Soxtalk -- if KW walked on water they'd b****, piss and moan about him not being able to swim.

My anti-American Hero :wub: :P

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't want to go through 7 pages of this, but Blum is a great trade. He has playoff experience. Something Ozuna and Harris don't have. He can play all the infield positions, although I would keep him away from SS unless it's between him and Crede.

And as for adding pieces...it ain't over yet...it's going to be harder, but pretty much everyone goes thorugh waivers, if the Sox want someone, they can claim them, have the original team pull them back and then hopefully trade for them. Or just wait until they clear waivers and try to trade them. And that's until Aug. 31st. So don't freak out everyone, there's still a chance to get some bullpen help.

If this was already mentioned, I apologize.

Good move today Kenny. :gosox1: :gosox3:

To extropolate on Ian's sig quote: Soxtalk seems to be home of the GMs who never make bad trades ever and are totally perfect.  Just ask 'em!  I guess people need reminding of "My boy Olivo" being called a Hall of Famer from the year previous.  f***ing kneejerk reactionaries.

Too many teams saw themselves as contenders and the market was s*** so KW did what he could to upgrade the team.  Blum is an asset defensively off the bench and he's currently got a higher OBP than Crede and is just .014 points below Crede in batting average.  I'm happy that we got more bench help with a versatile player for a prospect -- and I think Olivo proves that we'll never know how prospects will pan out.

Yes, it'd be nice to get another lefty reliever but the market was s***.  No other team made a huge splash unless you consider Matt Lawton the trade that will catapault your team into the playoffs

Christ, if I didn't know better, I would think that the Sox had a white flag sale & weren't 14 games up in the Central right now with the way some of the Chicken Littles are acting.

I think with some of the people here on Soxtalk -- if KW walked on water they'd b****, piss and moan about him not being able to swim.

I have to say, LCR, that is one helluva post.

I luv it when you analyze feisty

I was out at the ranch and received an text message about the trade.

Hours later, I finally could log in and do a little research.

After looking at the stats, analyzing the pros and cons, and reading this thread my only thought is United Airlines flies to Charlotte??

Ho hum we got Blum.......................tell me again KW how we will get any player and have the ability to increase payroll to help win a world series, talk more BS KW Sox fans no longer buy it.

I used to rip KW but all of his offseason moves have been great. I trust him

right now.

I'm glad he didn't trade McCarthy and that good minor league outfielder for

somebody like Randa, etc. We still are 30-plus over .500 thanks in large part to KW and Ozz.

QUOTE(greg775 @ Jul 31, 2005 -> 07:40 PM)
Ho hum we got  Blum.......................tell me again KW how we will get any player and have the ability to increase payroll to help win a world series, talk more BS KW Sox fans no longer buy it.

right now.

somebody like Randa, etc. We still are 30-plus over .500 thanks in large part to KW and Ozz.

Thats the way I look at it Greg. One thing you know about KW (whether people are fans of his moves or not) is that he's always looking to make that big splash. He's the ballsiest GM the Sox have had (for better or worse) and if there was a guy out there he'd of got him.

Obviously there wasn't one and not many teams ended up being sellers. The way I see it, I couldn't be more pleased with this trade deadline. The Sox are the best team in baseball and the teams chasing them didn't make any major splashes. Sure it would of been nice for the Sox to land Huff or Burnett, but the price tag was obviously way to high on Huff and the Fish decided to hold onto AJ.

Since none of the other teams got stronger, the Sox end up looking pretty solid. They got the best record in baseball and kept all their major pieces, specifically Brandon McCarthy and Brian Anderson. Those guys could end up helping the club later on this year (you know both will be up in September) and at the very least they'll help give some guys some extra rest and they may turn into key players next year.

Plus the Sox still have tons of trading chips for a waiver trade or a move this offseason for a bat to potentially replace Paulie or Frank (both may be gone).

I believe that KW put out good offers, if not the best offers for many players. The reality is, barely anyone got traded. Of the people that did get traded, most of them were no better fits for our team than we already have.

Nothing can be done if there are no moves to be made.

SB

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 31, 2005 -> 10:52 PM)
Thats the way I look at it Greg.  One thing you know about KW (whether people are fans of his moves or not) is that he's always looking to make that big splash.  He's the ballsiest GM the Sox have had (for better or worse) and if there was a guy out there he'd of got him.

Obviously there wasn't one and not many teams ended up being sellers.  The way I see it, I couldn't be more pleased with this trade deadline.  The Sox are the best team in baseball and the teams chasing them didn't make any major splashes.  Sure it would of been nice for the Sox to land Huff or Burnett, but the price tag was obviously way to high on Huff and the Fish decided to hold onto AJ. 

Since none of the other teams got stronger, the Sox end up looking pretty solid.  They got the best record in baseball and kept all their major pieces, specifically Brandon McCarthy and Brian Anderson.  Those guys could end up helping the club later on this year (you know both will be up in September) and at the very least they'll help give some guys some extra rest and they may turn into key players next year.

Plus the Sox still have tons of trading chips for a waiver trade or a move this offseason for a bat to potentially replace Paulie or Frank (both may be gone).

Well, I'm sure you could be more pleased with it. Say, if we landed Guardado/Wagner or Huff, you'd probably be more pleased with it. I understand what you're saying, though. As long as nobody else got better, it's better.

If anyone wanted to know, here's Kalapse's view on the deal: So the Sox pulled off a deal for Rob Mackowiak huh. This is awesome. Mack will help in solidifying our bench for the stretch run and the playoffs. I know a lot of people are down on him after seeing some of his recent numbers but I really feel this acquisition will help out the team a lot. A util man like him who can play 8 different positions can be invaluable.

Edit out Mackowiak for Blum and that's how he feels. :)

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Aug 1, 2005 -> 02:05 AM)
If anyone wanted to know, here's Kalapse's view on the deal: So the Sox pulled off a deal for Rob Mackowiak huh. This is awesome. Mack will help in solidifying our bench for the stretch run and the playoffs. I know a lot of people are down on him after seeing some of his recent numbers but I really feel this acquisition will help out the team a lot. A util man like him who can play 8 different positions can be invaluable.

Edit out Mackowiak for Blum and that's how he feels. :)

I also said that they got Blum because Pittsburgh wanted more for Mackowiak than KW wanted to get rid of.

QUOTE(CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jul 31, 2005 -> 10:38 PM)
Don't forget Blum is a switch-hitter too.

What he does in the privacy of his own home . . .

This may win us an extra game. I like ChiSoxFn's opinion. The gap stayed the same between us and every other team. We didn't lose any ground. He's pretty smart, maybe he should start his own web site.

QUOTE(greg775 @ Jul 31, 2005 -> 10:40 PM)
Ho hum we got  Blum.......................tell me again KW how we will get any player and have the ability to increase payroll to help win a world series, talk more BS KW Sox fans no longer buy it.

right now.

This wasn't about payroll, it was about the ridiculous prices that people were asking for their players. Think of it this way, just because you have an extra $20 and are thirsty for a coke, doesn't mean you would be willing to spend the whole $20 on that one coke.

Its a good pickup. You get rid of Willie, who doesnt really fit in on the field or in the clubhouse, and pick up a more experienced utility man, who can spell crede and Kong. Not to mention the Blum has been called a gamer, and a great guy in the clubhouse by Widger. I think fitting in on this team is a major plus, and I am glad we didnt get fleeced by the sellers. This year in particular, the sellers on the market were some of the worst GM's in baseball to deal with. TB cannot make deals with other teams, they feel they have to come out on top every time. Pit only deals with the Cubs, and I think FLA did a GREAT job picking up Villone to solidify their bullpen. All in all, the fact that no one else improved, gives us the upper hand.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Aug 1, 2005 -> 09:39 AM)
This wasn't about payroll, it was about the ridiculous prices that people were asking for their players.  Think of it this way, just because you have an extra $20 and are thirsty for a coke, doesn't mean you would be willing to spend the whole $20 on that one coke.

That first half wasn't from Greg. That was from Soxfest, the disgruntled one. Greg just likes to C&P the quotes he wants in that style for some reason.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Aug 1, 2005 -> 09:45 AM)
Its a good pickup.  You get rid of Willie, who doesnt really fit in on the field or in the clubhouse, and pick up a more experienced utility man, who can spell crede and Kong.  Not to mention the Blum has been called a gamer, and a great guy in the clubhouse by Widger.  I think fitting in on this team is a major plus, and I am glad we didnt get fleeced by the sellers.  This year in particular, the sellers on the market were some of the worst GM's in baseball to deal with.  TB cannot make deals with other teams, they feel they have to come out on top every time.  Pit only deals with the Cubs, and I think FLA did a GREAT job picking up Villone to solidify their bullpen.  All in all, the fact that no one else improved, gives us the upper hand.

It's not even that. They feel they have to absolutely rape other teams to make a deal. Trades like Kazmir for Zambrano. That's not just winning, that's clearly taking advantage of the other team. There's no problem with winning every deal, but they force teams into making awful deals.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jul 31, 2005 -> 04:18 PM)
Imagine it's Christmas morning.  For months, you've been hoping and praying to get all of these fun different toys.  You tell all of your friends what you're getting.  You put together a list of these toys for your parents so they can go out and get them for you.  You even go so far as to plan on what you're going to do with each toy.  You just can't wait for that one day to come, then they're all yours.  It finally comes, you wake up early, and run down the stairs in your pajamas to see one big present sitting under the tree.  You think to yourself, "There's only one, so this one has to be good."  You tear the wrapping paper off and rip open the box.  What did you get?!

Geoff Blum.

I just wanted to show that again since I think it's funny. I have no problem with the trade, just to put that out there.

This is a low risk, high reward move.

If Blum helps us, that's great. If he doesn't, well, we gave up Ryan Meaux.

Point made.

I can live with no big moves, but I was hoping for Guardado or Wagner simply because I think we'd be better served shortening the games with Politte/Cotts in the 7th, Marte/Hermy in the 8th and then Guardado/Wagner in the 9th.

Since it didn't happen, back to business as usual.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Aug 1, 2005 -> 10:19 AM)
This is a low risk, high reward move.

If Blum helps us, that's great.  If he doesn't, well, we gave up Ryan Meaux.

Point made.

I can live with no big moves, but I was hoping for Guardado or Wagner simply because I think we'd be better served shortening the games with Politte/Cotts in the 7th, Marte/Hermy in the 8th and then Guardado/Wagner in the 9th.

Since it didn't happen, back to business as usual.

Well, im sure Seattle still wants to unload Eddie. I wouldnt be surprised if he is a waiver deal.