Sox article on attendance

Iwritecode

QUOTE(Iwritecode @ Aug 5, 2005 -> 03:10 PM)
Somebody posted this at WSI but since the subject is taboo over there I figured I put it up here for discussion.

(BTW, you have to watch a little commercial before you get to read the article)

You'll never seen anything like this in the Cubune.

Just a comment- we will most likely draw 2.2 million fans this year. I think that is excellent.

To avoid watching a history channel commercial...

EDIT: We're not going to do that here. Salon gets it's revenues from the commercials. They provide great content. We should respect their revenue stream and support them by clicking on the ad.

Edited by Gene Honda Civic

QUOTE(HSC's Biggest Fan @ Aug 5, 2005 -> 02:30 PM)
Was there about 96K for the series?  Should be at least 100K this weekend.  Yanks already have 107K.  The Twins for some reason are not a draw.  How close are we to 2.5?????

I don't think we'll make it to 2.5 this year. Back in April or May I looked at last year's monthly averages and made some guesses as to what they would be this year. I came up with a total of just over 2.3 million.

So far all my monthly guesses have been just a little on the high side. I'm thinking they'll end up with somewhere between 2.1 and 2.3 for the year.

They'd have to average 36,000+ a night for the remaining home games to hit 2.5 for the year.

Edited by Iwritecode

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Aug 5, 2005 -> 03:31 PM)
To avoid watching a history channel commercial...

EDIT: We're not going to do that here. Salon gets it's revenues from the commercials. They provide great content. We should respect their revenue stream and support them by clicking on the ad.

My bad GHC, wont do it again

QUOTE(Iwritecode @ Aug 5, 2005 -> 03:39 PM)
I don't think we'll make it to 2.5 this year. Back in April or May I looked at last year's monthly averages and made some guesses as to what they would be this year. I came up with a total of just over 2.3 million.

So far all my monthly guesses have been just a little on the high side. I'm thinking they'll end up with somewhere between 2.1 and 2.3 for the year.

They'd have to average 36,000+ a night for the remaining home games to hit 2.5 for the year.

Did your calculation include the playoff home games? :P

On a side note, I just read this on CBS Sportsline:

The crowd of 39,165 was the White Sox's 11th sellout of the season, a franchise record.

Can that really be true? A franchise that has been around for more than 100 years has never sold out more than 11 dates in a full season??? I am not buying that for a second. That stat has to be wrong. Has to be.

QUOTE(FlaCWS @ Aug 6, 2005 -> 02:13 AM)

The crowd of 39,165 was the White Sox's 11th sellout of the season, a franchise record.

Can that really be true? A franchise that has been around for more than 100 years has never sold out more than 11 dates in a full season??? I am not buying that for a second. That stat has to be wrong. Has to be.

Nope. Hawk and DJ said so too. The record was 10. I have hears Hawk and DJ refer to this a few times.

QUOTE(FlaCWS @ Aug 6, 2005 -> 01:13 AM)

Old Comiskey could hold half of Chicago without being a sellout.

Comiskey II had a capacity of about 48,000.

USCF has a capacity of just a tick under 40K.

There's your explanation.

QUOTE(Iwritecode @ Aug 5, 2005 -> 08:39 PM)

When considering the yearly attendance mark, do the playoffs come into play?

QUOTE(Iwritecode @ Aug 5, 2005 -> 02:10 PM)
Somebody posted this at WSI but since the subject is taboo over there I figured I put it up here for discussion.

You mean we can actually talk about attendance here? :P

It's good to see we're able to talk about a positive White Sox topic without retribution.

Bob

QUOTE(gosox41 @ Aug 6, 2005 -> 02:57 PM)

It's good to see we're able to talk about a positive White Sox topic without retribution.

Bob

Well, if you'd like, I can start smacking people around a bit. :P

QUOTE(gosox41 @ Aug 6, 2005 -> 02:57 PM)

Bob

As long as it doesn't turn into the asshole fest it did at the other place I wouldn't anticipate a problem.

why did they not want to talk about attendance?

we always kept on saying, if management put the product on the field, that fans will come out. that was why we were soooo angry with the sox.

btw good to see again iwc.

peace

QUOTE(LDF @ Aug 6, 2005 -> 04:11 PM)
why did they not want to talk about attendance?

we always kept on saying, if management put the product on the field, that fans will come out. that was why we were soooo angry with the sox.

btw good to see again iwc.

peace

Most didn't have a problem with it.. until the assholes started crying about how people don't go... while sitting home typing on their keyboards no less. Just got to be easier to stop all the bs posts about how attendance sucked.

Good to see you LDF.. a friendly face not seen nearly enough. :cheers

QUOTE(Steff @ Aug 6, 2005 -> 03:05 PM)
As long as it doesn't turn into the asshole fest it did at the other place I wouldn't anticipate a problem.

Seems to happen a lot over there.

On a different note, I am thrilled to death the fans are coming. It's a lot more enjoyable to go to a full ball park then a half empty one. It's good to win back some fans, hopefully it'll continue and the team can draw like they did in the early '90's.

Bob

QUOTE(gosox41 @ Aug 6, 2005 -> 10:49 PM)
Seems to happen a lot over there.

On a different note, I am thrilled to death the fans are coming.  It's a lot more enjoyable to go to a full ball park then a half empty one.  It's good to win back some fans, hopefully it'll continue and the team can draw like they did in the early '90's.

Bob

Exactly, it's great to see the place packed basically every home night. Not only does it bring a great atmosphere to the park, but it should also help with payroll issues for future seasons. That's one thing none of us can complain about.

QUOTE(Iwritecode @ Aug 5, 2005 -> 03:10 PM)

ONCE THE YEARS PANS OUT OUR AVERAGE WILL BE MUCH HIGHER. I WENT TO SEVERAL GAMES IN APRIL, AND EVEN ON HALF PRICE NIGHT THE ATTENDANCE WAS USUALLY UNDER 22,000. WITH THE SELLOUT CROWDS WE'RE HAVING NOW THE AVERAGE WILL GO UP. Sorry about the caps, I was told it means I'm screaming. Newbie says sorry.

Edited by BaMoFo