Personal Attacks

Chisoxfn

We just took an agressive stance on excessive attacks of players (ie the ones that get personal) and now Soxtalk is going to continue with this stance and apply it to posting. We'd like to see Soxtalk as the #1 site for Sox discussion and to do that we want everyone to feel comfortable posting amongst each other.

Lots of us have gained friendships via the site and all of us have gained tons of knowlege during our time spent on the boards. Whether you come here once a month or multiple times a day were going to do our best to continue to improve Soxtalk.

The next step to doing so, in our mind, is to agressively root out personal attacks. I know we've always had a policy when it came to personal attacks, but now were going to truly enforce that policy. If you see someone make a post you think is stupid or offensive...dont' respond to it by calling them an asshole or a moron. Either disagree with them by putting together an argument for why the person is wrong, report the post (which the mods/admins will than look at) or totally ignore the post.

This has nothing to do with limiting discussion, in fact, we feel it will do the opposite. When people are comfortable to post without getting slammed, we'll see better discussion and debates on the site and I think we'll see the site become the friendlier place it once was.

In terms of our policy, we will be suspending posters for 7-10 days upon first offense. So please, take note of this and take a few seconds to think before you reply in a post. Obvoiusly us admins/mods won't be able to catch every personal attack, but if we catch most of them and enforce the rules the attacks should gradually dissapear.

If anyone has any comments (for or against) feel free to post them in this thread (its always nice seeing feedback so we know where the varying members stand on certain issues) or if its something thats more private, feel free to PM or email any of the admins/mods.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Aug 29, 2005 -> 02:40 PM)
Except when the Sox make the playoffs and 450 people join the site in 3 days.

Our plan is to have this place rocking by playoff time. I think with a good sytem in place we'll be more ready for the steady growth the site will see in the future. I think to a point we weren't exactly ready for the massive explosion this place has had and because of it things we originally let slide need to be semi reeled back in. Thats not to say were going to go all crazy with rules.

However, I think its pretty easy for posters to refrain from attacking another poster as well as saying totally derrogatory things about players. With those two issues aside, we can all go back to talking about the Sox and pretty much anything else.

Like I say though, we are serious about curbing this issue.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Aug 29, 2005 -> 10:43 PM)
Our plan is to have this place rocking by playoff time.  I think with a good sytem in place we'll be more ready for the steady growth the site will see in the future.  I think to a point we weren't exactly ready for the massive explosion this place has had and because of it things we originally let slide need to be semi reeled back in.  Thats not to say were going to go all crazy with rules. 

However, I think its pretty easy for posters to refrain from attacking another poster as well as saying totally derrogatory things about players.  With those two issues aside, we can all go back to talking about the Sox and pretty much anything else. 

Like I say though, we are serious about curbing this issue.

IMO, I think that's all that needs to be done. Everything else will fall into place.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Aug 29, 2005 -> 10:47 PM)
Jas, I think this is totally the right thing to do, and happy it is being done now. Im just scared when/if they get into the playoffs, this place is going to get blown up by Newbies, and were going to have the same problems, because of veteran posters not taking crap from Newbies that think they own this place. Its happened before, and there are going to be ALOT come October. That is my only concern, but you guys seem confident that this will solve it, so im sure it will work.

Remember, it's all about respect. Respect the newbies, allow them some slack, don't call them "stupid" for not knowing things, and everything will be fine.

One other point that's important to note. This "suspension" policy goes into effect from now forward. We're not on a witch hunt, and our memories are gone of all past issues with current members.

Let's not kick the dead horse here. After a bit, we should lock this thread, and if anyone has questions, they should contact one of the admin staff.

Kap

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Aug 29, 2005 -> 02:49 PM)
Remember, it's all about respect.  Respect the newbies, allow them some slack, don't call them "stupid" for not knowing things, and everything will be fine.

One other point that's important to note.  This "suspension" policy goes into effect from now forward.  We're not on a witch hunt, and our memories are gone of all past issues with current members.

Let's not kick the dead horse here.  After a bit, we should lock this thread, and if anyone has questions, they should contact one of the admin staff.

Kap

Just want to re-iterate what Kap said here. I left this out of my original post, but members have a clean slate from here on forward.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Aug 29, 2005 -> 05:49 PM)
Remember, it's all about respect.  Respect the newbies, allow them some slack, don't call them "stupid" for not knowing things, and everything will be fine.

One other point that's important to note.  This "suspension" policy goes into effect from now forward.  We're not on a witch hunt, and our memories are gone of all past issues with current members.

Let's not kick the dead horse here.  After a bit, we should lock this thread, and if anyone has questions, they should contact one of the admin staff.

Kap

IMHO, we need the posters that have invested the most time, those with thousands and thousands of posts to lead the effort. Our newer members see stuff from veteran posters and adopt that feel, that style of posting. I know when I'm on a new site, I'm careful to read before posting and try to stay within the "unwritten rules" of the site. I especially notice the people with huge post counts and assume that is what is encouraged at that site.

I've been PMing some of the biggest and brightest posters about this issue and to a person, they wish we could return to a time when everyone knew everyone, people really knew what we meant, not what we typed. We've grown too big for small town USA. Most will not know what we meant, they only know what is on their screens.

And finally, one way to simmer things is to not quote. Reply with what you believe. The rest of us reading understand point-counter point and do not need, in many cases, the quoted material. It also stops some of the 1 v. 2 from starting.

:gosox3: This is a once or twice a decade season, based on our history. I would like everyone to think back on this season and have Soxtalk be a positive part of the memory. It's easy for me, y'all are the only Sox fans I get to talk with.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Aug 29, 2005 -> 06:41 PM)
IMHO, we need the posters that have invested the most time, those with thousands and thousands of posts to lead the effort. Our newer members see stuff from veteran posters and adopt that feel, that style of posting. I know when I'm on a new site, I'm careful to read before posting and try to stay within the "unwritten rules" of the site. I especially notice the people with huge post counts and assume that is what is encouraged at that site.

I've been PMing some of the biggest and brightest posters about this issue and to a person, they wish we could return to a time when everyone knew everyone, people really knew what we meant, not what we typed. We've grown too big for small town USA.  Most will not know what we meant, they only know what is on their screens.

And finally, one way to simmer things is to not quote. Reply with what you believe. The rest of us reading understand point-counter point and do not need, in many cases, the quoted material. It also stops some of the 1 v. 2 from starting.

:gosox3: This is a once or twice a decade season, based on our history. I would like everyone to think back on this season and have Soxtalk be a positive part of the memory. It's easy for me, y'all are the only Sox fans I get to talk with.

Great post.

Some of the "oldies" are just as guilty as the "newbies."

This is a fun board, and I have confidence that it can continue to be that way... :gosox3:

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Aug 29, 2005 -> 06:31 PM)
We just took an agressive stance on excessive attacks of players (ie the ones that get personal) and now Soxtalk is going to continue with this stance and apply it to posting.  We'd like to see Soxtalk as the #1 site for Sox discussion and to do that we want everyone to feel comfortable posting amongst each other. 

Lots of us have gained friendships via the site and all of us have gained tons of knowlege during our time spent on the boards.  Whether you come here once a month or multiple times a day were going to do our best to continue to improve Soxtalk. 

The next step to doing so, in our mind, is to agressively root out personal attacks.  I know we've always had a policy when it came to personal attacks, but now were going to truly enforce that policy.  If you see someone make a post you think is stupid or offensive...dont' respond to it by calling them an asshole or a moron.  Either disagree with them by putting together an argument for why the person is wrong, report the post (which the mods/admins will than look at) or totally ignore the post. 

This has nothing to do with limiting discussion, in fact, we feel it will do the opposite.  When people are comfortable to post without getting slammed, we'll see better discussion and debates on the site and I think we'll see the site become the friendlier place it once was. 

In terms of our policy, we will be suspending posters for 7-10 days upon first offense.  So please, take note of this and take a few seconds to think before you reply in a post.  Obvoiusly us admins/mods won't be able to catch every personal attack, but if we catch most of them and enforce the rules the attacks should gradually dissapear. 

If anyone has any comments (for or against) feel free to post them in this thread (its always nice seeing feedback so we know where the varying members stand on certain issues) or if its something thats more private, feel free to PM or email any of the admins/mods.

Pretty Good But,

1. There can't be Power sick Mods, Just because you're a mod it doesn't mean you're always right (No one in particular, just saying) You can't shut up someone with the power threat

2. There sould be a limit of post before anybody can start a thread, Not to be mean or anything but there's been really stupid threads posted of Non Sense that really no one cares about and that's what starts things, same go for polls (Everyone knows how i feel about those when there used for stupidity)

3. I say about the post limit before able to start a thread is the fact that as someone said a lot of newbies will come around in the playoffs, Many of them bangwagon fans and many that won't come back to hte board and if the Sox lose a game then the bashing starts mostly on Ozzie. Hey it's ok to disagree and say hey Oz get your head outta your behind and so and so, But a whole thread? and multiple ones of the same crap?

And for last, you guys do a good job keeping this place up and i tip my cap, but i do hate a lot of the Arse kissing around here. That said, those are my 2 cents sorry if it's a lil harsh, I've signed up for many boards and only spend time here on Soxtalk and of Course my principal board on Worldcrossing. I do admit you guys have been good to me and have done a good job getting rid of a few troublemakers such as Ncrolbl and Brando and so on.

Thanks

Edited by JoshPR

QUOTE(JoshPR @ Aug 30, 2005 -> 12:01 AM)
Pretty Good But,

1. There can't be Power sick Mods, Just because you're a mod it doesn't mean you're always right (No one in particular, just saying) You can't shut up someone with the power threat

2. There sould be a limit of post before anybody can start a thread, Not to be mean or anything but there's been really stupid threads posted of Non Sense that really no one cares about and that's what starts things, same go for polls (Everyone knows how i feel about those when there used for stupidity)

3. I say about the post limit before able to start a thread is the fact that as someone said a lot of newbies will come around in the playoffs, Many of them bangwagon fans and many that won't come back to hte board and if the Sox lose a game then the bashing starts mostly on Ozzie. Hey it's ok to disagree and say hey Oz get your head outta your behind and so and so, But a whole thread? and multiple ones of the same crap?

And for last, you guys do a good job keeping this place up and i tip my cap, but i do hate a lot of the Arse kissing around here. That said, those are my 2 cents sorry if it's a lil harsh, I've signed up for many boards and only spend time here on Soxtalk and of Course my principal board on Worldcrossing. I do admit you guys have been good to me and have done a good job getting rid of a few troublemakers such as Ncrolbl and Brando and so on.

Thanks

1. You shouldn't have to worry about power mad mods. If a mod gets out of line, the other mods and admins will address it.

2. That's not a bad idea, but as it is, if you don't thing a thread is worthy, just don't post in it. In fact, if everybody just ignored it instead of 30 resposes saying stupid thread, it will just fade away.

3. Follow my advice above and "a whole thread" becomes just a soon forgotten single post.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Aug 30, 2005 -> 02:48 AM)
1.  You shouldn't have to worry about power mad mods.  If a mod gets out of line, the other mods and admins will address it.

2.  That's not a bad idea, but as it is, if you don't thing a thread is worthy, just don't post in it.  In fact, if everybody just ignored it instead of 30 resposes saying stupid thread, it will just fade away. 

3. Follow my advice above and "a whole thread" becomes just a soon forgotten single post.

Yeah, I use that approach for any topic YAS starts! :P