Twins vs White Sox 9-22 Official Gamethread

southsideirish71

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ Sep 22, 2005 -> 12:20 PM)
Disturbing:

"This was disappointing because I didn't feel the energy," A.J. Pierzynski said of Wednesday night's game. "We can't have that right now. That's what was disappointing."

No energy. Hm. That's great to hear.

I mentioned this somewhere earlier. The team looked bored to tears last night. Between pitches they are all looking down, there was no look of intensity at all. How does that happen in a game as important as last night? If Manuel was still managing the lack of energy would be blamed on him.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(rudylaw @ Sep 22, 2005 -> 12:35 PM)
Santana throws first pitch strike 95% of the time.  Swing away, swing away.  Yes this could make this game last about an 1 hour, but it is our only hope.

I still say this is the best approach, and Farmio and Rooney have echoed it a few times in games. Try and hit Santana's fastball to right field. If he gets the change on you, you will pull it, but most likely will still pull it fair. Currently we gear up for the fastball and pull the change if we do make contact foul.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Sep 22, 2005 -> 11:47 AM)
I still say this is the best approach, and Farmio and Rooney have echoed it a few times in games.  Try and hit Santana's fastball to right field.  If he gets the change on you, you will pull it, but most likely will still pull it fair.  Currently we gear up for the fastball and pull the change if we do make contact foul.

It'll never happen. Makes too much sense.

We seen this guy 4 times already this year? How many times in the last few years? We still can't figure him out? The only hope tonight is the *cough* hot KC Royals keep it up, McCarthy pitches a no-hitter or we take enough pitches to knock Johan out of the game.

:gosox1: :gosox2: :gosoxretro: :gosox4: :gosox3:

QUOTE(robinventura23 @ Sep 22, 2005 -> 12:01 PM)
We seen this guy 4 times already this year?  How many times in the last few years?  We still can't figure him out?  The only hope tonight is the *cough* hot KC Royals keep it up, McCarthy pitches a no-hitter or we take enough pitches to knock Johan out of the game. 

:gosox1:  :gosox2:  :gosoxretro:  :gosox4:  :gosox3:

against our line up Santana has a very good opportunity to throw the first no hitter of the season. He likes pitching at the cell and let's face it, more than half our lineup is in a real slump right now. I wish Duque were pitching - hate to waste BMac on this suicide mission.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Sep 22, 2005 -> 06:26 PM)
I mentioned this somewhere earlier. The team looked bored to tears last night. Between pitches they are all looking down, there was no look of intensity at all. How does that happen in a game as important as last night? If Manuel was still managing the lack of energy would be blamed on him.

We always look that way after a big win. This team has done a horrible job at maintaining momentum in stretch runs for 3 straight seasons. Way too many guys trying to hit homers when line drives are needed.

QUOTE(WSoxMatt @ Sep 22, 2005 -> 03:51 PM)
Best Case Scenario...  top of the 5th inning... it just starts to pour for 5 hours, game gets cancelled... Johan already threw 75 pitches and can not come back for any game in the series!!!

That sounds great, but we all know that Johan will only have thrown 38 pitches by the top of the 5th.

If El Duque was pitching, Brandon would have already come in for a few innings of mop up, so at least he's starting tonight.

Baby steps...

BTW, I have a feeling we'll see the return tonight of Ken "Hawk" Harrelson, and not Ken "Sox Homer" Harrelson. He was fairly critical of this team this morning, especially about our past approach against Santana. He said we should stack the lineups with lefties. If we have a righty lineup tonight, and they struggle, Hawk's going to be quite critical.

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 22, 2005 -> 04:31 PM)
BTW, I have a feeling we'll see the return tonight of Ken "Hawk" Harrelson, and not Ken "Sox Homer" Harrelson.  He was fairly critical of this team this morning, especially about our past approach against Santana.  He said we should stack the lineups with lefties.  If we have a righty lineup tonight, and they struggle, Hawk's going to be quite critical.

How ass backwards would that be?

Hawk goes out of his way to praise the likes of JP Howell, Scott Elarton, Kysle Loshe instead of taking the offense to task, then speaks his mind when they are up against a bona fide Cy Young contender. I don't buy it.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Sep 22, 2005 -> 03:35 PM)
How ass backwards would that be?

Hawk goes out of his way to praise the likes of JP Howell, Scott Elarton, Kysle Loshe instead of taking the offense to task, then speaks his mind when they are up against a bona fide Cy Young contender. I don't buy it.

Because they keep doing the same thing over and over again against Santana. I imagine he wants to stack the line-up with lefties to take away Santana's change.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Sep 22, 2005 -> 04:46 PM)
Because they keep doing the same thing over and over again against Santana. I imagine he wants to stack the line-up with lefties to take away Santana's change.

All righties tonight:

Per MJ&H:

Ozuna LF

Iguchi- 2B

Everett DH

Konerko 1B

Rowand CF

Dye RF

Uribe SS

Widger C

Crede 3B

QUOTE(robinventura23 @ Sep 22, 2005 -> 04:58 PM)
All righties tonight:

Per MJ&H:

Ozuna LF

Iguchi- 2B

Everett DH

Konerko 1B

Rowand CF

Dye RF

Uribe SS

Widger C

Crede 3B

Looking out the window at work. Winds very strong from the north. All those righties better not be pulling or we'll see a bunch of short flies to right.

QUOTE(robinventura23 @ Sep 22, 2005 -> 09:58 PM)
All righties tonight:

Per MJ&H:

Ozuna LF

Iguchi- 2B

Everett DH

Konerko 1B

Rowand CF

Dye RF

Uribe SS

Widger C

Crede 3B

Ah, the same lineup that did so well against Johan last time. I'm not a fan of Pods, but I think it's pathetic that we traded Carlos Lee, a big time run producer, for a player that our manager isn't even comfortable enough to have face lefties during the stretch run.