El Duque Odd Man Out

DBAHO

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Oct 1, 2005 -> 07:18 AM)
That thought entered my mind too.

Why would it? Duque is going to be in the dugout, Duque was on the DL and Contreras was still pitching his ass off in August (or I think he was on the DL right around when Count started his hot streak).

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know about Viz. He's the one guy out of the pen with a totally rubber arm. He hasn't been too bad since the first month to month and a half of the season and Ozzie has faith in him.

I really have no problem with Viz, especially in the horrid instance that we have to go to the pen early in the game cause he can go a couple innings.

Of course, as Duque's biggest hater on the board, I will say this, he looked very very very sharp last night. He had great velocity and it made a difference.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Oct 1, 2005 -> 11:18 AM)
Why would it?  Duque is going to be in the dugout, Duque was on the DL and Contreras was still pitching his ass off in August (or I think he was on the DL right around when Count started his hot streak).

I just see those two are always together, and they probably root for each other more than anyone else on the team. However, if Duque is still in the dugout, that changes my thinking a little bit.

QUOTE(Antonio Osuna @ Oct 1, 2005 -> 04:07 PM)
See, the point is not to bring in somebody who will hit Anderson and give up a longball to Finley, but rather to bring in somebody who can get them out.

El Duque was good out of the bullpen yesterday. I hope that was a successful audition for the playoff roster.

Did I miss something? Since when has Duque become the greatest reliever in history? Yes, Marte has had a lot of struggles this season. However, Duque is the same pitcher who's allowed like a .500 OBP to lefties over the last 2 months. It's not just that Marte has a better chance against lefties to get them out. Some lefty batters are just a hell of a lot worse against lefty pitchers, as it takes away all their power. If the choice was between Marte and Duque....that's an easy one.

QUOTE(SnB @ Oct 1, 2005 -> 03:53 PM)
i'm so glad this isn't my job, this is some tough stuff to decide.

but as some already said.

marte?

viz?

i'd rather have duque on than either of those 2 guys.

Idonno about Vizcaino....

Month: Era:

April 7.43

May 5.23

June 2.25

July 1.20

August 3.48

Sept. 2.57

After the first 2 months Id say he has been a pretty damn good reliever.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Oct 1, 2005 -> 08:20 AM)
I just see those two are always together, and they probably root for each other more than anyone else on the team.  However, if Duque is still in the dugout, that changes my thinking a little bit.

Hell, I'd assume Frank will be in the dugout or would at least expect him to be. Unless Ozzie doesn't want anyone around for potential distractions? But my guess is you'll see Tim Salmon in the Angels dugout.

Hmmm...El Duque, Marte or Viscaino? Sounds like a battle to decide who our worst pitcher is. Personally, since I really don't have a preference, I say you get the three together for a battle of rock, paper, scissors, and whoever wins gets the roster spot.

My only hope is that whoever they select between those three, none of them see much time in the playoffs.

QUOTE(KevHead0881 @ Oct 1, 2005 -> 10:38 AM)
Hmmm...El Duque, Marte or Viscaino?  Sounds like a battle to decide who our worst pitcher is.  Personally, since I really don't have a preference, I say you get the three together for a battle of rock, paper, scissors, and whoever wins gets the roster spot.

My only hope is that whoever they select between those three, none of them see much time in the playoffs.

If we are gonna carry 11 pitchers, who are the 14 position players?

AJ, Widge, Konerko, Iguchi, Uribe, Crede, Blum, Pods, Aaron, Dye, Everett, Timo, Pablo, are almost for sure on.......who gets the last spot??? willie as PR extraordinare? anderson? gload?

ill assume willie probably

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Oct 1, 2005 -> 10:51 AM)
Willie is gonna be on the postseason roster.  He's a huge asset as a pinch runner.

I agree, Willie is such a valuable asset. If true this is the right move imo. As 101 pointed out Viz has been a solid reliever for a while now, the Duke has had 1 good relief appearance we really dont know what to expect out of him in that role and to be honest, he's been terrible for a while as well. This was the move I was hoping the team would make so I'm hoping this is true.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Oct 1, 2005 -> 07:02 PM)
Hopefully they give El Duque a chance still. I would also like to see him in the postseason. I mean, that's the whole reason we got him. El Duque has proven to be a stopper in the playoffs throughout his career.

The only thing he stopped this year is our winning streaks :P

i can just see this biting us in the ass as we see contreras fall apart because his best bud's not there to talk to him. that sounds stupid BUT contreras has always been a headcase. anything that f***s with his mental state right now is bad. i dunno - i'd rather have duke than EITHER viz or marte

QUOTE(qwerty @ Oct 1, 2005 -> 07:35 PM)
What is the fascination with hernandez here?

Good inning last night, and I'd rather have him as the ROOGY than Vizcaino. The chances of either of these guys pitching are slim, but I like El Duque for an out or two rather than Vizcaino.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Oct 1, 2005 -> 11:27 AM)
Idonno about Vizcaino....

Month:          Era:

April          7.43

May              5.23

June          2.25

July              1.20

August          3.48

Sept.            2.57

After the first 2 months Id say he has been a pretty damn good reliever.

I think some people formed an opinion of Viz early, and closed their eyes to what he did the rest of the year. There's no way you leave him off the roster.

QUOTE(Soxfest @ Oct 1, 2005 -> 07:32 PM)
I say Bmac and O.Hernandez both make roster tell J.Visciano you suck and have done nothing to earn a postseason spot.

Cant you change your roster after every series? If you can id sit out B-Mac for the first since he wont be available the first 3 games anyways really.