Los Angeles @ Chicago - ALCS Game 1

Heads22

Colon, who has battled a sore lower back since the end of August, now must contend with inflammation in his right shoulder and the Angels must face the prospect of possibly getting through at least the next round of the playoffs without their staff ace and his 21-8 regular season record.

Also questionable is left-hander Jarrod Washburn, who missed his start in New York on Sunday with strep throat.

The Angels will start right-hander Paul Byrd in Game 1 and follow him with a pitcher to be named. Rookie left-hander Joe Saunders may be added to the postseason roster and the Angels could also turn to long man Kevin Gregg for the start.

Probable starting pitchers for the following two games are right-hander John Lackey in Game 3 and rookie right-hander Ervin Santana in Game 4.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Reddy @ Oct 11, 2005 -> 12:54 PM)
Basically we're facing:

Byrd (5 runs last outing)

Gregg (not a starter)

Escobar (not a starter)

Santana (rookie)

Washburn (sick)

Lackey

how can you NOT like our chances?

The Angels just worry me. That being said, we're going to f***ing win!

QUOTE(Reddy @ Oct 11, 2005 -> 11:54 AM)
Basically we're facing:

Byrd (5 runs last outing)

Gregg (not a starter)

Escobar (not a starter)

Santana (rookie)

Washburn (sick)

Lackey

how can you NOT like our chances?

I like our chances even if the Angels were at full strength, that being said don't count out the angels and anything can happen.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Oct 11, 2005 -> 01:02 PM)
I like our chances even if the Angels were at full strength, that being said don't count out the angels and anything can happen.

liking our chances doesnt mean i'm counting the angels out. they've got some magic over there and somehow they can manage to pull the same things out of their asses as we can. we're similar ballclubs, anything can happen.

that being said we're gonna kick their ASSES!

Angels also have a fully rested bullpen thanks to Santana.

So let's knock Byrd out in the second or third and f*** up everything for Scioscia!! :D

Also, if Figgins gets on 1st--- with Contreras pitching, it won't be long 'til he's at 2nd or even 3rd.

is this paul byrd formerly of royals fame?

i won't lie, for as much as i cry about how nobody knows about the sox, i really know s*** about the angels cept for : anderson being in a cold streak this year, chone figgins being a better willie harris, Krod being absent when i saw the angels in june, percival no longer their closer, lackey, colon in rotation, colon now out of rotation, adam kennedy?, and they have VLAD and somewhere along the line benji molina turned into a f***ing good hitter.

QUOTE(bmags @ Oct 11, 2005 -> 02:37 PM)

i won't lie, for as much as i cry about how nobody knows about the sox, i really know s*** about the angels cept for : anderson being in a cold streak this year, chone figgins being a better willie harris, Krod being absent when i saw the angels in june, percival no longer their closer, lackey, colon in rotation, colon now out of rotation, adam kennedy?, and they have VLAD and somewhere along the line benji molina turned into a f***ing good hitter.

Byrd's been a Phillie, a Royal, a Brave, an Angel... you get the idea.

Edited by knightni

QUOTE(bmags @ Oct 11, 2005 -> 12:37 PM)

Chone Figgins is Scott Podsednik.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Oct 11, 2005 -> 02:11 PM)
I thought the forecast this morning said 63 and partly sunny.

I'm dowtown and it ain't sunny at all or 60 nothin' down here.

Anyone near the Cell?

It's cloudy and windy there. No way it's 60 I agree.

QUOTE(Steff @ Oct 11, 2005 -> 01:46 PM)
Anyone hear Colon is definitely a no go for the CS.. got an email from a semi-journalist.. not sure of the reliability.

I've heard from a few places that it looks like he's a no go but until the angels say so I'm not going to believe it.

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Oct 11, 2005 -> 03:21 PM)
This game makes me nervous...kinda seems like it's being taken for granted or something - not sure what it is...just scared.

STEP IT UP JOSE

i dont think its taken for granted - i think we've got a dominating starter who, if he has his right stuff, outmatches the Angels offense (which is worse than bostons obviously). We also are facing a guy in Byrd who gave up 5 runs to the yanks in his start and who we've had success against in the past.

Theres no reason not to be optimistic but at the same time, you're right it should NOT be taken for granted. This is baseball folks - anything can happen.