Don Cooper

Reddy

per rotoworld:

Don Cooper continues to be the most popular candidate to replace Mel Stottlemyre as the Yankees's pitching coach.

Cooper is currently the pitching coach for the White Sox. "It's flattering, nothing else. In case anybody doesn't know, we have this little ALCS thing going on here. Believe me, that's my priority, and I'm having a ball with it," he said. Oct. 14 - 9:50 am et

that scares me a lot - don cooper (i think) has been one helluva pitching coach and i think replacing him would be tricky, especially after the success we've had this year. i dont think anything should change as far as the makeup of our pitching staff and that includes Coop. but the Yankees do have all the money in the world - which is a bit of a concern.

anyone know that status of Coops contract?

I think the Yanks will probably offer him good money and it will be tough for Cooper to turn it down. That said, I've always thought of Coop as a company man. He's been in this organization a long time and had turned down our pitching coach job numerous times because he liked helping out the youngsters in the minors.

I tend to agree with Tony's beliefs and that its going to be really hard for him to leave Chicago. Also, AJ has been great for this staff, but Coop has also been very good. He lets these guys relax and trust there stuff, which was a serious problem back when Nardi was running the show.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Oct 14, 2005 -> 12:38 PM)
Maybe they can take our hitting coach instead  :P

The third base coach is also available. We will even enclose the duct tape to hold his arms down preventing him from prematurely waving runs home.

If we placed a FOR SALE sign in front of Greg Walker's home, perhaps the yankees would turn their attention away from Cooper.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Oct 14, 2005 -> 11:47 AM)
I think the Yanks will probably offer him good money and it will be tough for Cooper to turn it down.  That said, I've always thought of Coop as a company man.  He's been in this organization a long time and had turned down our pitching coach job numerous times because he liked helping out the youngsters in the minors. 

I tend to agree with Tony's beliefs and that its going to be really hard for him to leave Chicago.  Also, AJ has been great for this staff, but Coop has also been very good.  He lets these guys relax and trust there stuff, which was a serious problem back when Nardi was running the show.

If the money is truely outragous he would be a fool to turn it down. His Dad did 20 years twice, with two different companies. Put that Jankee money in the bank and he won't have to work another 20 years like his Dad did.

QUOTE(Adam G @ Oct 14, 2005 -> 04:40 PM)
If the Yankees want to steal away the biggest reason for our pitching being so dominant this year, they should be targeting AJ.

LOL, biggest reason?

AJ is important for his game-calling skills, but he's not the one throwing the motherf***ing pitches, now is he? Coop is the one working with these guys behind closed doors on their mechanics. Cotts, Pollite, Jenks, Contreras, Garland, etc. All credit goes to Coop.

And I'm beyond surprised that nobody "addressed" your post before I got to it. We have intelligent baseball fans on here who would NEVER buy into that.

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Oct 15, 2005 -> 12:12 AM)
LOL, biggest reason?

AJ is important for his game-calling skills, but he's not the one throwing the motherf***ing pitches, now is he?  Coop is the one working with these guys behind closed doors on their mechanics.  Cotts, Pollite, Jenks, Contreras, Garland, etc.  All credit goes to Coop.

And I'm beyond surprised that nobody "addressed" your post before I got to it.  We have intelligent baseball fans on here who would NEVER buy into that.

All credit goes to Coop.... maybe a lot of that credit actually goes to Cotts, Pollite, Contreras, and Garland etc.... and how does Jenks go to Coop.....

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Oct 15, 2005 -> 02:49 AM)
All credit goes to Coop.... maybe a lot of that credit actually goes to Cotts, Pollite, Contreras, and Garland etc.... and how does Jenks go to Coop.....

People forget that these guys all sucked before. While all 5 have plenty of god-given talent, that just ain't enough to get it done on this level. You can't tell me that Coop isn't damn near Mazilli-esque when it comes to shaping and molding pitchers. AJ is as clever as they come if we're talking about game-calling skills, but in the end, the pitchers have to execute. I can tell you to hit a particular spot in the strike zone, but it doesn't mean jack s*** if you can't actually execute the plan.

Do you listen to Boers And Bernstein? It seems like Coop comes on for interviews once or twice a week. He is always talking about his sessions with Jenks. Do you recall when Bobby first pitched in a Sox uniform? Has he not drastically improved since then in terms of mechanics?

I wouldn't support Coop the way I do if I hadn't heard millions of his interviews. The man just reeks of smarts. He has impressed me as much, if not more than K-Dub.

But AJ is important, don't get me wrong. He is sort of a defensive coordinator, but he can't teach guys how to pitch more effectively. That's Coop's job. We have to keep this guy at all costs.

QUOTE(Felix @ Oct 15, 2005 -> 02:53 AM)
In my book, AJ and Coop are equal in what they've done for this staff.

Well then, remind me not to read your book. :D

AJ is not a pitching coach, y'all. He's not gonna be able to identify something that is wrong with a pitcher's mechanics. He has not been trained to do so. And if you think that he could, then put down that bottle of Jack Daniels.

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Oct 15, 2005 -> 02:01 AM)
People forget that these guys all sucked before.  While all 5 have plenty of god-given talent, that just ain't enough to get it done on this level.  You can't tell me that Coop isn't damn near Mazilli-esque when it comes to shaping and molding pitchers.  AJ is as clever as they come if we're talking about game-calling skills, but in the end, the pitchers have to execute.  I can tell you to hit a particular spot in the strike zone, but it doesn't mean jack s*** if you can't actually execute the plan. 

Do you listen to Boers And Bernstein?  It seems like Coop comes on for interviews once or twice a week.  He is always talking about his sessions with Jenks.  Do you recall when Bobby first pitched in a Sox uniform?  Has he not drastically improved since then in terms of mechanics? 

I wouldn't support Coop the way I do if I hadn't heard millions of his interviews.  The man just reeks of smarts.  He has impressed me as much, if not more than K-Dub.

But AJ is important, don't get me wrong.  He is sort of a defensive coordinator, but he can't teach guys how to pitch more effectively.  That's Coop's job.  We have to keep this guy at all costs.

right on!