Keys to beating Houston

witesoxfan

I think from the outset, you look at their rotation, and try to understand how it really is. In reality, it's not better and no worse than the Sox rotation...but I'll take the Sox rotation, simply due to having 4 very solid starters, over 3 very solid starters and then Backe who can be inconsistent.

My #1 key to the series is keeping the Astros lineup in the ballpark. You allow, at most, one homer per game, and I think I like the Sox chances.

If I had another key...STAY (relatively) PATIENT...make Oswalt and Clemens work, wear them down as much as possible, try and either get to the pen early or try and have Oswalt and Clemens get in the 120-130 pitch range. That many more pitches makes them fatigue that much faster in their next start. And most definately keep the pressure on the defense at all times. Run often, sac bunt often, keep the clutch hitting up...do not relent whatsoever. Just stay hot.

If you want a prediction...I say Sox in 6.

Most of these games are going to be decided by 2 runs or less so one of my key is if Taveras is in the lineup keep him off base cause he'll produce a run himself if Freddy or Jose is out there. Besides that, get Podsednik on base the way he was getting on base for the two previous series.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Oct 19, 2005 -> 11:12 PM)
Most of these games are going to be decided by 2 runs or less so one of my key is if Taveras is in the lineup keep him off base cause he'll produce a run himself if Freddy or Jose is out there.  Besides that, get Podsednik on base the way he was getting on base for the two previous series.

I've said it before, PODS is god. When we were tearing up the league, he was getting on base and stealing at will. When he was injured, we suffered.

I'm also looking for an unexpected "surprise" in this Series. I keep thinking and wanting Rowand to have a .400 series. If he did that, you could put the entire championship on the board!

Yeah gotta keep Biggio and Taveras off base. When you do that, they'll struggle to score runs.

Brad Ausmus has become a big key in the bottom part of their lineup. He's hit around .290-.300 since the ASB, so he needs to be shut down as well. He came up with a few key hits in that NLCS.

Watching Oswalt pitching, our hitters have just got to get used to that fastball straight away. He keeps it pretty low as well.

Besides Lidge (who gave up that big homer anyway), Houston's pen isn't anything to write about. If we can get to their relievers, hopefully we can take advantage.

Chicago in 7.

Look what we did in Anaheim, especially in the second game. We worked the count, we made the Anaheim pitchers throw lots of balls. We were fouling things off left and right.

Look at Game 1 of the ALCS. We were making outs after 1, 2 pitches.

Compare the result of Game 1 with the result of the 3 Games in Anaheim. Enough said.

(1) Don't let Lance Berkman beat you.

(2) Throw strikes.

(3) Get to their bullpen - Clemens and Pettite are not 8 inning pitchers. Work Qualls and Wheeler in the 5th and 6th if possible.

(4) Get production out of Carl Everett, Timo Perez and Willie Harris as pinch hitters in the Houston games.

QUOTE(WilliamTell @ Oct 19, 2005 -> 11:23 PM)
Gammons picked up to win on Baseball Tonight, dangit. Keep in mind at the begining of the year he picked the Twins and the Cubs to be in the World Series. Everyone on baseball tonight picked the Sox to win.

Gammons also picked us to beat the Red Sox and Angels.

QUOTE(WilliamTell @ Oct 20, 2005 -> 12:23 AM)
Gammons picked up to win on Baseball Tonight, dangit. Keep in mind at the begining of the year he picked the Twins and the Cubs to be in the World Series. Everyone on baseball tonight picked the Sox to win.

well then I'd be worried, 'cept Gammons picked us in the ALDS and the ALCS. I'll take our lineup and bullpen over the Astros', and the rotations are a wash.

Don’t over amp, you can’t win 4 games on October 22. Stay patient, good at bats. I have a lot of respect for the Houston pitching staff, including the pen, so be prepared for some corpse ball where the Sox offense is just shut down. These guys are good, don’t get discouraged and junk your plan if they make you look ridiculous a couple times, its bound to happen so don’t get down on yourself, stay mentally prepared to get them the next time up.

The Sox need to hang in there, pitch, play defense all night and somehow, someway, something good will happen. Could be a dinger from an unlikely player or another dropped 3rd strike but the key is to play enough baseball to stay in a position to take advantage of what ever comes their way.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Oct 19, 2005 -> 11:02 PM)
I think from the outset, you look at their rotation, and try to understand how it really is.  In reality, it's not better and no worse than the Sox rotation...but I'll take the Sox rotation, simply due to having 4 very solid starters, over 3 very solid starters and then Backe who can be inconsistent.My #1 key to the series is keeping the Astros lineup in the ballpark.  You allow, at most, one homer per game, and I think I like the Sox chances. 

If I had another key...STAY (relatively) PATIENT...make Oswalt and Clemens work, wear them down as much as possible, try and either get to the pen early or try and have Oswalt and Clemens get in the 120-130 pitch range.  That many more pitches makes them fatigue that much faster in their next start.  And most definately keep the pressure on the defense at all times.  Run often, sac bunt often, keep the clutch hitting up...do not relent whatsoever.  Just stay hot.

If you want a prediction...I say Sox in 6.

I would agree over the course of the season. But, over the course of a spread out series, I doubt we even see Backe starting. I see houston Using their rotation similar to the Dbacks in the 01 WS. Difference being, they have 3 dominant Sp's opposed to 2.

I think Clemens is hurt. He's been having back troubles. Pettitte's knee hurts from getting a ball knocked off of it (I think it was during BP). The key to this series is only one start from Oswalt.

Matchups:

Starters: White Sox by one pitcher (Garcia on the road, awesome)

Bullpen: Astros (only because of rust and Lidge)

Lineup: White Sox because there's no shuffling players in and out to get some runs. These guys have played together all year.

Managers: Even. Garner and Ozzie both manage by feel, which can either help or hurt. Good thing is...Ozzie watched Trader Jack win the WS in '03 so he knows how to manage in the NL.

Intangibles: White Sox. 88 years vs. 44 years. Double up equals

WHITE SOX IN 6!!!

My keys to this series:

1. Starting pitching continues being quality. They don't need to throw CG shutouts every game. But a quality start a game is almost a necessity.

2. Manufacturing runs. There are 2 ways we are going to score on the Stros. Every so often, someone will get on base. It's pretty much unavoidable. Someone will get a hit, or take a walk. When this happens, we must turn that baserunner into a run. The "Get him on, get him over, get him in" philosophy is the perfect one to take into a series against pitching like the Stros have. Take your runs 1 at a time and you can pile up enough to win if your pitching keeps it up.

3. Occasional power. At some point...the Stros pitchers will leave a ball somewhere that you can hit it. Every pitcher does it. If we don't miss those pitches, and we do turn them into runs, then we'll basically be unstoppable.

I think that if the pitching holds up, the real key is probably #2. That's how we've won games all the time this year. I just keep thinking about that Boston game where we got guys on 2nd and 3rd with no outs and Pods and Gooch both squeeze bunted to drive in the runs. That's the kind of thing we need to do...expect that they can pitch their way out of any jam if we try to go for too much and take what is given.

I like our chances in this series for one reason: Houston's lineup. They are like a much weaker version of Boston. Only Berkman, Ensberg, and Taveras hit over .270. They also don't have a whole lot of power threats (Berkman, Ensberg, Lane, and Biggio all hit over 20, but everyone else is pretty low in the totals), so I'm thinking our pitchers should be able to challenge hitters, get ahead, and put them away. The one concern is if their starters come out and absolutely kick our ass, but realistically how likely is it that they come up with 3 or 4 dominant outings in the series? They're going to have to hit in order to win, and I'm not sure they can do it against our rotation. I think we have a very good shot, but I'm not planning the celebration yet. You still have to play the games.