Free agent resource.

qwerty

QUOTE(Steff @ Nov 9, 2005 -> 05:07 PM)
QUOTE(fathom @ Nov 9, 2005 -> 10:41 AM)

You really don't think Urbina has some baggage?  I've been told for years that he has an awful reputation within baseball, and recent events only scare me off more from him joining the Sox.  Sure, he may very well be innocent of the crime....but it's not like being charged with attempted murder should just be brushed off like it's no big deal.

Not that any of this matters and it's ruining the thread.

Yes, I was saying that it indeed is a big deal, and that was in response to you saying that I was being irresponsible by claiming that one of the reasons that he shouldn't be an option is because of the arrested murder situation. If there was confusion on my behalf, then I'm sorry, and you're right, there's no more reason in arguing about this. I'll stand by my sources that say Urbina is a shady person, and you'll stand by your feeling. Doesn't make either of us right or wrong. :cheers

• Replies 686
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(fathom @ Nov 9, 2005 -> 11:41 AM)
You really don't think Urbina has some baggage?  I've been told for years that he has an awful reputation within baseball, and recent events only scare me off more from him joining the Sox.  Sure, he may very well be innocent of the crime....but it's not like being charged with attempted murder should just be brushed off like it's no big deal.  UU had a 4.5 ERA in 2004, and then a 4.13 ERA in his time with the Phillies last year.  We're not talking about the marquee closer that he once was.  His fastball has lost like 8 mph in the last few years, and he'll still cost you at least 3 million.  For our 5th or 6th reliever in the pen, give me Viz.  In no way could I see UU having no problem not pitching but once a week.

1. He won't cost 3 mil., not with this stuff hanging over his head.

2. He is light-years better than Viz.

3. 4.13 ERA with Phillies, but also a 1.15 WHIP and a .186 BAA, those last two numbers are better than most of the pitchers on our staff, only Cotts and Politte pitched that well out of the Pen.

Relief pitchers are strange things, they can be lights out 1 year, and be horrible the next, Politte is still a 4.06 CAREER ERA, we could just as easily get the 4.38 ERA and 1.44 WHIP that we got out of him in '04. Hermanson is a question mark, Marte is a question mark, even the great Bobby Jenks has some issues performance-wise.

If Urbina was able to be added for $1.5-$2.0mil including incentives, like $1mil base+, it would be foolish in the extreme to not consider adding him. Especially if he has Ozzie's respect, and Ozzie himself thinks he could handle him in the clubhouse.

QUOTE(Fingish @ Nov 9, 2005 -> 01:01 PM)
1. He won't cost 3 mil., not with this stuff hanging over his head.

2. He is light-years better than Viz.

3. 4.13 ERA with Phillies, but also a 1.15 WHIP and a .186 BAA, those last two numbers are better than most of the pitchers on our staff, only Cotts and Politte pitched that well out of the Pen.

Relief pitchers are strange things, they can be lights out 1 year, and be horrible the next, Politte is still a 4.06 CAREER ERA, we could just as easily get the 4.38 ERA and 1.44 WHIP that we got out of him in '04.  Hermanson is a question mark, Marte is a question mark, even the great Bobby Jenks has some issues performance-wise.

If Urbina was able to be added for $1.5-$2.0mil including incentives, like $1mil base+, it would be foolish in the extreme to not consider adding him.  Especially if he has Ozzie's respect, and Ozzie himself thinks he could handle him in the clubhouse.

I agree with everything you said. Some of our guys had breakout or career years. The reason the are called "career" years is becuase they only happen once. The law of averages holds true expect everyone to put up their career averages in 2006. That being said Hermansen is the key, if the club and Hermy think his back will be an issue the sox need insurance, Urbina for 2 mil would be excellent.

I think we are looking at this Urbina situation backwards. If anything, I think we need to consider that Phily has a guy who might make a decent DH alternative for us (Thome) if Konerko and/or Frank don't return. And they will likely have even more need for relief help, and from where I am sitting, we have at least one too many people in the bullpen (assuming Duque moves in). I think we should be considering dangling Marte, Hermy, Viz and/or some prospects (not all those, but some combination) Phily's way.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 9, 2005 -> 02:28 PM)
I think we are looking at this Urbina situation backwards.  If anything, I think we need to consider that Phily has a guy who might make a decent DH alternative for us (Thome) if Konerko and/or Frank don't return.  And they will likely have even more need for relief help, and from where I am sitting, we have at least one too many people in the bullpen (assuming Duque moves in).  I think we should be considering dangling Marte, Hermy, Viz and/or some prospects (not all those, but some combination) Phily's way.

I understand what you are saying about Thome...but no to him. Yes, he's from Illinois, yes he's a LHB, yes he's a power hitter. But, he's on the wrong side of 30 and has some serious back problems, which, for a power hitter, not so good.

Urbina was run out of Detroit for acting like a drunken asshole. Supposedly he had problems in Philadelphia, now he is facing a murder charge. Let's not get too far ahead of ourselves. Its possible Urbina may be behind Venezuelan bars next baseball season. I don't understand how people can endorse trading for or signing a potential murderer, but have huge problems picking up guys who may have used steriods. Personally, I don't want any of them. I would have loved for the Sox to sign Urbina a couple of seasons ago, but he is pretty erratic both on and off the field at this point of his life. Don't try to compare him to Everett, or AJ or Jenks or anyone else the White Sox have reclimated. None of these guys have been accused of murder.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Nov 9, 2005 -> 02:51 PM)
Urbina was run out of Detroit for acting like a drunken asshole. Supposedly he had problems in Philadelphia, now he is facing a murder charge. Let's not get too far ahead of ourselves. Its possible Urbina may be behind Venezuelan bars next baseball season. I don't understand how people can endorse trading for or signing a potential murderer, but have huge problems picking up guys who may have used steriods. Personally, I don't want any of them. I would have loved for the Sox to sign Urbina a couple of seasons ago, but he is pretty erratic both on and off the field at this point of his life. Don't try to compare him to Everett, or AJ or Jenks or anyone else the White Sox have reclimated. None of these guys have been accused of murder.

Come on, he isn't accused of murder, he's accused of attempted murder. And of course we would have to know more about the situation than it is possible for us to know right now.

Luckily we have Ozzie, and he probably has a better handle on what the Venezuelan justice system is like, and what this case is really about.

All I'm saying is, don't be surprised to see him on the team in '06, and if he is, it would be with Ozzie's blessing, and that is good enough for me.

Possibly you keep Viz and trade Hernandez if you pick up Urbina. With Jenks slated to be the closer, Hermanson could find life again pulling long relief and making a spot start or two. I love what Dustin did for us last year, it was a magical year all-around, I just don't expect him to do it again...

QUOTE(Fingish @ Nov 9, 2005 -> 12:31 PM)
Come on, he isn't accused of murder, he's accused of attempted murder.  And of course we would have to know more about the situation than it is possible for us to know right now.

So you're saying not only did he try to kill people, but he failed at closing the deal? Isn't that like 2 strikes against him?

QUOTE(Fingish @ Nov 9, 2005 -> 02:31 PM)
Come on, he isn't accused of murder, he's accused of attempted murder.  And of course we would have to know more about the situation than it is possible for us to know right now.

I stand corrected. I still wouldn't want anyone who attempted to kill someone on the White Sox roster. Maybe he will be exonerated. I still wouldn't touch him with a 10 ft. pole, and I really wanted this guy when Detroit made him available.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Nov 9, 2005 -> 08:25 PM)
Bloody hell, people.

Please review Matsui's contract before proclaiming him a member of the mighty Pale Hose, trading in his blue-pinstripes for black.

He'd have to clear waivers before becoming a UFA.

"Snap back to reality; oh, there goes gravity..."

How many teams do you think would be willing to claim him when he is demanding $11 or $12 mil? My guess is not very many.

If someone wants to take the time to explain Matsui's contract, I'd be willing to listen. It's supposed to be really complex. Yes, he'd be put on waivers on November 15 if the Yankees could not sign him. I know we went through that long process of explaining waivers during the season, so I'm not asking that. I'm just wondering how it would work since he's not signed to a contract. Being placed on waivers means that you have to trade something to that team for the player... but I don't think that applies in this situation. Would teams interested place in a bid, and he'd go to the highest bidder according to waiver priority? Or would he have the ultimate say in where he went? Would it work like a normal waiver type deal, but in this scenario, teams would just be trading for the OPPORTUNITY to sign him???

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Nov 10, 2005 -> 02:28 AM)
How many teams do you think would be willing to claim him when he is demanding $11 or $12 mil? My guess is not very many.

He's probably worth an extra one or two million, based upon the fact of all the extra revenue he should bring in.

But you're right, not quite an eight-figures player. I think he's in the $7-9 million per year range, and I wouldn't mind giving him three years.

I think Levine's taking crazy pills... ESPN1000 just reported that he claims the Sox, as a contingency plan, have looked at Todd Helton.

Free agent pitcher Kevin Millwood is reportedly seeking a five-year contract offer. Agent Scott Boras hasn't come out and stated those terms, but the Cleveland Plain-Dealer has heard that Boras is looking for such a deal. The Indians are willing to hand Millwood a three or four-year contract, but they won't likely stretch to five seasons.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=fanb...nball&type=lgns

Free agent relief pitcher Bob Howry is reportedly seeking a three-year deal worth $10.5-12 million, the Cleveland Plain-Dealer reported. The Indians have considered offering Howry a two-year contract worth $7.5 million, but agent Craig Landis believes his client can get a better deal.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=fanb...nball&type=lgns

Looking bad for Cleveland, good for us. If they start losing their pitching, they won't be able to best us.

O'Brien has all but conceded that the Reds will look to trade at least one of their four core outfielders, Ken Griffey Jr., Adam Dunn, Austin Kearns and Wily Mo Pena, this offseason. While he declined to get into specifics Wednesday, O'Brien acknowledged there has been plenty of interest from other teams.

http://news.cincypost.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar.../511100315/1027

Just for kicks.

Rumors circulating at the general managers' meetings have the Sox in the trade market for the Philadelphia Phillies' Jim Thome or the Florida Marlins' Carlos Delgado. But for either of those plans to come to fruition, the current team would have to pick up a hefty chunk of the remaining salary.

For those trades to take place, the Sox likely would have to part ways with a front-line starter. The Marlins were enamored with Jose Contreras long before his second-half revival, while the Phillies might want Contreras or Brandon McCarthy.

http://www.suntimes.com/output/sox/cst-spt-sox10.html

Those are of course contingency plans. Phils think they can get a frontline starter for Thome? Ha, forget it.

According to a person familiar with the situation, Matsui's agent, Arn Tellem, gave Matsui a list of comparable players that featured J.D. Drew (who signed a five-year, $55-million contract with the Dodgers last winter) and Matsui's Yankees teammate Gary Sheffield (who will complete a three-year, $39-million contract in 2006).

"Because of my experience the last three years, I would be satisfied to live in any American city," Matsui said. "I don't care if it's a popular team. If the team is winning, a lot of fans will come to the stadium."

http://www.newsday.com/sports/printedition...ny-sports-print

That looks like the kind of deal Matsui is looking for, I'd be really surprised if the Yanks were suddenly financially bound. Matsui's quote kinda describes the Sox...

In addition to working on Matsui's extension, the Yankees continue to work on their voids in centerfield and the bullpen. The Phillies are dangling Bobby Abreu, but the Yankees don't want to give up Robinson Cano or Chien-Ming Wang for him. Many team officials hold large reservations over pursuing Milton Bradley, whom the Dodgers will trade for virtually nothing.

Mmm, Bobby Abreu... left-handed power, speed, average... ::drool::

I don't know if this has already been posted or talked about, if it has i'm sorry.

Aaron Rowand - OF - White Sox

The Yankees asked the White Sox about center fielder Aaron Rowand, but they were told by GM Ken Williams that there was no potential for a match.

It's not out of the realm of possibility that Rowand will be dealt, but the White Sox would probably be better off waiting a year. Brian Anderson hasn't proven he's ready to take over in center field. If Rowand isn't an option, the Yankees could look at trading for Milton Bradley, Brad Wilkerson or Juan Pierre. Bradley's issues reportedly have much of the club's front office against a potential deal, but he's plenty talented and he'd come cheap. Nov. 11 - 4:02 am et

Source: New York Daily News

QUOTE(sayitaintso @ Nov 11, 2005 -> 02:58 PM)
I don't know if this has already been posted or talked about, if it has i'm sorry.

Aaron Rowand - OF - White Sox   

The Yankees asked the White Sox about center fielder Aaron Rowand, but they were told by GM Ken Williams that there was no potential for a match.

It's not out of the realm of possibility that Rowand will be dealt, but the White Sox would probably be better off waiting a year. Brian Anderson hasn't proven he's ready to take over in center field. If Rowand isn't an option, the Yankees could look at trading for Milton Bradley, Brad Wilkerson or Juan Pierre. Bradley's issues reportedly have much of the club's front office against a potential deal, but he's plenty talented and he'd come cheap. Nov. 11 - 4:02 am et

Source: New York Daily News

There is an entire thread called "Yankees inquire about Rowand" or similar, right on page 1.

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Nov 9, 2005 -> 09:28 PM)

I really believe with their huge Japanese following, and need for a left handed power bat, Seattl would claim him in a second. The Red Sox would probably claimed him just for the f*** of it too.