Free agent resource.

qwerty

• Replies 686
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Matsui stays with the Yankmes:

Yankees agreed to terms with outfielder Hideki Matsui on a four-year, $52 million contract.

The Yankees confirmed the agreement tonight. Matsui just finished up a deal that paid him $21 million, plus $1.5 million in incentives. The new contract puts him among the game's highest-paid outfielders and gives him an annual salary matching that of teammate Gary Sheffield. Most importantly, he surpasses Ichiro Suzuki to become the highest-paid player from Japan. Nov. 15 - 10:32 pm et

Per Roto:

The Padres are expected to bring back free-agent infielder Geoff Blum on a one-year deal.

Blum was useful before being traded to the White Sox last season, hitting .241/.321/.375 in 224 AB. After the deal, he hit .200/.232/.274 with three RBI in 95 AB. The Padres are still planning to trade Sean Burroughs, so Blum would probably be the club's top backup at third, short and second. However, should Mark Loretta land on the DL for some reason, the team would likely give Josh Barfield an opportunity. Nov. 16 - 5:24 pm et

Smart move by Chipper...wasn't a chance in Hell the Braves would pick up those option years, so he just used them as bargaining power to get himself 2 more years at $11 million a year...and given that he has had a lot of trouble staying healthy lately, that's probably $10 million or so more than he would have made unless he had a perfectly healthy 2006 season.

According to MLB.com's Marty Noble, the Mets are convinced Rafael Furcal will sign with the Cubs.

If Chipper Jones restuctured his deal because he wanted to keep playing next to Furcal, he might come away disappointed. Nov. 18 - 12:55 am et

I don't care what they say on the north side, the Sox World Series win put a lot of pressure on the Cubs. They will probably get Furcal because they are feeling the pressure. The Tribune Co doesn't want anything to disrupt their gold mine and the Sox winning has threatened to do that.

Edited by YASNY

QUOTE(YASNY @ Nov 18, 2005 -> 02:19 AM)
The Tribune Co doesn't want anything to disrupt their gold mine and the Sox winning has threatened to do that.

I really don't think that our winning the world series will make much of a dent in their "gold mine". We'll draw more at The Cell, and the Sox will do much better financially. But in the short run, don't expect the Cubs to feel much financial pinch. I'd predict that their attendance will be nearly the same as last year, maybe just slightly less. And their TV and radio deals will not deteriorate, nor will the income they get from the local rooftops. A few less Cubs hats and jerseys maybe, but that cash goes into the MLB pot anyway.

Bottom line is, we'll probably do much better in 2006 on attendance and finances, but that will not really be at much cost to the Cubs.

In the long run, however, over a five to ten year period, as the neighborhood around The Cell changes, and kids start growing up choosing the Sox to follow more often... then, you might start to see Wrigley become slightly more empty, like it was in the 70's and early 80's.

Marlins close to dealing Beckett

Pitcher Josh Beckett, the Most Valuable Player of the 2003 World Series, may soon be headed back to his home state of Texas next season along with third baseman Mike Lowell.

In what could be the first step of a major housecleaning in Florida, the Marlins and Rangers are close to completing a trade that would send Beckett and Lowell to Texas for first baseman Hank Blalock and a top pitching prospect, two baseball sources said Friday night.

If they lose both becket and Burnett, you have to figure they're aqcuiring pitching elswhere.

Pierre for Pavano + Salary perhaps?

Right-hander Carl Pavano, who signed a four-year contract with the Yankees a year ago, has been telling friends he wants out.

A person who spoke with Pavano late in the 2005 season said Pavano was "miserable" with the Yankees and that he would like the team to try to trade him this winter. He has not yet asked the Yankees to trade him, and he might not make the request formal, but he might not have to.

A baseball official familiar with the Yankees' off-season plans said the team would listen to offers for Pavano and would consider dealing him if presented with a good enough trade offer. The official also said, however, that it was "not a front-burner issue."

Yankees GM Brian Cashman and other front-office officials met in Tampa, Fla., yesterday with team owner George Steinbrenner to discuss off-season plans. Cashman did not return a phone call seeking comment.

With Randy Johnson, Mike Mussina, Jaret Wright, Chien-Ming Wang, Shawn Chacon and Aaron Small in addition to Pavano, the Yankees believe they have a deep enough starting rotation that they could deal from it if it helped them fill another need. They are looking for a center fielder and for several relief pitchers.

Dealing Pavano also would free up some money for the Yankees, since he's owed $30.95 million over the next three years. But in spite of Cashman's assertion that he'd like to trim payroll, money doesn't seem to be a major concern for the Yankees this winter. They've already signed Hideki Matsui for four years and $52 million, and they're pursuing free-agent outfielder Brian Giles, who could command $10 million per year.

Pavano recently parted ways with agent Scott Shapiro, who negotiated his $39.95 million deal with the Yankees last winter. Pavano has not yet settled on a new agent, but once he does, he plans to ask his new agent to see if he can facilitate a trade.

The Detroit Tigers, who attempted to sign Pavano last year, are a possible trading partner, since they seem to have money to spend. But the Tigers are more interested in trying to trade for Arizona right-hander (and former Yankee) Javier Vazquez if they can. Other possible landing spots for Pavano include Seattle, which also pursued him last winter, and the Florida Marlins, his former employer. The Marlins, however, are cutting payroll and would need the Yankees to pick up a huge portion of Pavano's contract if they were to acquire him.

Pavano will be a good pickup for someone. The Yanks will end up dealing him for not too much and will eat a lot of that contract. Actually, if the Sox dealt Rowand to the Yanks they could probably get Pavano and have quite a bit of his contract paid.

To go along with this idea, a 3rd team could be in this mix that gives the Sox something they really want. I'd think Pavano would have pretty good value if he was signed to an affordable contract (in fact I'd have no problem keeping him, lol) cause it would open up a few other options.

Anyway don't even know why I'm bringing this up, it won't happen.

From Rotoworld:

The Indians, Mariners, Royals and Tigers are among the teams that have displayed interest in free agent Kenny Rogers.

Rogers turned 41 this month, but he is going to want a multiyear deal. The Rangers aren't expected to make an offer to keep him.

Source: Fort Worth Star-Telegram

Since the Tigers and Indians are after him, I thought this belonged here. Not sure how I feel about this.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Nov 20, 2005 -> 06:19 PM)
From Rotoworld:

The Indians, Mariners, Royals and Tigers are among the teams that have displayed interest in free agent Kenny Rogers.

Rogers turned 41 this month, but he is going to want a multiyear deal. The Rangers aren't expected to make an offer to keep him.

Source: Fort Worth Star-Telegram

Since the Tigers and Indians are after him, I thought this belonged here.  Not sure how I feel about this.

Any team who gives Kenny Rogers a multiyear deal is stupid. He is 41 years old and will have a good first half and fade. Or most likely, not even have a good first half and be injured for most the year.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/spor...677_mari21.html

M's to sign Japanese catcher Johjima

Scoring the first big-name free-agent signing of the offseason, the Mariners will announce the signing of catcher Kenji Johjima, possibly as soon as today.

Sources say that Johjima has agreed to terms with Seattle. His name is much bigger in Japan, where he has averaged .305 with 30 homers the past five years and won seven straight Gold Gloves.

The Mariners increased their offer late last week from two years plus a club option for a third year to more than $5 million a year for three years, a deal that also includes incentives.

With Johjima coming in as the front-line receiver, sources say Seattle is prepared to trade Yorvit Torrealba, the catcher who played most of the games in the second half of the 2005 season after coming here from San Francisco in a midseason trade.