Konerko defends Sox, looks ahead

greasywheels121

http://whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/ar...t=.jsp&c_id=cws

Konerko content, but ready for market

Slugger enjoys parade, looks toward the future

By Scott Merkin / MLB.com

CHICAGO -- For one brief moment during Friday's victory parade at LaSalle Street and Wacker Drive, White Sox fans thought a lifelong dream achieved was about to become infinitely greater.

First baseman Paul Konerko was one of the last players to speak during the rally portion of the festivities, and delivered the season's most moving moment by handing the ball from the last out of the World Series sweep to chairman Jerry Reinsdorf. Before bringing Reinsdorf to tears, though, Konerko took a defiant swipe at those who didn't believe in his World Series championship squad.

"Second team, no more," Konerko yelled, in reference to the White Sox perceived second status to the Cubs in their own city.

"All year we had to listen to people saying we didn't have the team to do this," Konerko added. "Not you people, but there were others who didn't want to believe. We were leading the division at the All-Star break and people thought we weren't going to make it. Didn't happen.

"We win the division and people expected the Red Sox to beat us in the playoffs. Didn't happen. Then, we had to hear about umpires' calls and other stuff in Anaheim and domes and all sorts of different stuff in Houston.

"I started to wonder, 'What would make people think we are a good team?'" Konerko added. "The only thing I could come up with was maybe do this one more time next year."

Could it be that Konerko's comment meant the valuable free agent already had decided to return to the White Sox? Maybe Reinsdorf and general manager Ken Williams would bring a contract to the stage and have Konerko sign in dramatic fashion before the thousands and thousands of people.

Well, that White Sox contract still could be signed by Konerko, but it won't take place before he goes through the free agent process this offseason. Konerko was one of 62 players to file Thursday, and while he steadfastly refused to talk about the open market during the season, he presented his thoughtful and extensive take on the situation Friday.

Konerko plans on sitting down with Craig Landis, his agent and son of Jim Landis, an outfielder on the last White Sox World Series entrant from 1959, as early as next week to plan for the process ahead. He intends to approach this important business period in the same manner that he approached another tremendous season at the plate -- with hard work and thorough preparation.

"I won't be doing anything off the cuff," said Konerko during a seven-minute talk with the media before getting on the double-decker bus with his wife and newborn son. "I have good people around me. I have a good family. I have a great agent.

"I've never gone about any deal the wrong way or unprepared. It will be thorough and done right. That way when it's done, I will know that everything possible was put into it.

"There's a way to do business that's documented and the right way," Konerko added. "I've never handled anything off the field, as far as my business life, the wrong way. I'm not going to start now."

Konerko earned $8.75 million in 2005, the final season of a three-year, $23.3 million deal. After hitting at least 40 home runs and driving in at least 100 runs for the second straight season, Konerko figured to be in line for a sizable raise. After his five-homer, 15-RBI performance during the postseason -- with many of those blasts coming at key moments -- Konerko could be in line for superstar money.

The options could come down to the White Sox and the Angels, who not only would provide a venue close to his Arizona home, but also have Spring Training in Tempe, Ariz. Konerko admitted that all things being equal, he would like to stay with the White Sox.

But he also didn't seem ready to hand out the famous "home team discount" during negotiations.

"I'm a big 'If it's not broke, don't fix it' guy," Konerko said. "It certainly isn't broke here. We have a great team, a bunch of great people and it's a great organization. I love working for [manager] Ozzie [Guillen], and [general manager] Kenny [Williams] and Jerry run a great ship here.

"I would have been happy not to have free agency," Konerko added. "I was willing to forgo all that. I was willing to not have that be the case. But sometimes, you get taken down the road you get taken down. I'll just do what I have to do."

Konerko's reference to forgoing free agency was pointed at the White Sox decision to table all discussions for a new contract until after the 2005 season. It's a move Williams readily admitted, as recently as in Anaheim at the ALCS, could have been a mistake in the long run.

But there is no ax to grind on Konerko's part. This won't be a "He said, He said you are wrong" scenario that played out with Magglio Ordonez's free agency during the last offseason. Ordonez eventually signed a multiyear deal with Detroit, which slipped out of contention in the American League Central almost from the start.

Ordonez's situation is a good case study for Konerko to follow, in that loads of money doesn't necessarily translate into happiness or success. But a pragmatic Konerko pointed out that there will be people saying he made the wrong decisions after the fact, regardless of where he eventually signs.

He also admitted that by not signing the contract during the past offseason, he certainly will get more money in the present.

"That's just common sense," Konerko said. "As a player, you just play hard and the team and organization take you down the road they want to take you down. People step up, people step down. People jump in and jump out.

"I've had an easy job. I show up, play hard and do the job. I really believe this is not a difficult thing. It's an easy thing, but I could be wrong. I've never gone through this process before. I'm kind of a rookie at it."

During a pregame chat with the media in Houston, Williams made it clear that re-signing Konerko, 29, was a priority for the team. Of course, the desire to bring back a key player doesn't always turn out in the player returning. See Carlos Beltran and Houston in 2004 as an example.

If Konerko's time in Chicago ends, he exits as a champion who avoided any outside distractions during a very special year. If Konerko does return for his eighth year on the South Side, then, as he said Friday, back-to-back titles are the next goal at hand.

"Starting probably after today, I'll start thinking about my future and my family and everything," Konerko said. "There are a lot of factors that go into this, not one thing. It's whatever hits me right, and I don't know what that is yet."

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Paulie has positioned himself well to get what he wants from the Sox. I mean, if Paulie says he wants five years, $65 million and Kenny tells him that he needs to talk to Jerry first - you don't think Jerry will remember that moment at the parade when Paulie gave him the ball??? I know Reinsdorf is a shrewd businessman, but I think that - from that moment on - him and Kenny realized that Paulie needs to stay.

When Kenny talks about wanting "a certain type of guy" for his team-oriented concept, Konerko embodies that. He's our captain and, honestly, I'll be shocked if he goes elsewhere.

As a wise man once said, "I've got a bonerko for Konerko."

Going into the final year without a new contract, KW basically said to Konerko, "prove it to me." Prove you deserve a big contract. He did.

I was one of those guys who always thought PK was expendable. I don't anymore. He became the "face" of the orginization this postseason. The Sox need to sign him for market value immediately. If that pushes them over whatever dollar amount they have budgeted for the team for 2006, so be it. They can figure out, after PK has signed, how to reduce salaries in other areas to meet that budget.

It might mean losing Marte or Everett. It might mean losing Frank or El Duque. It might be time. Have a young guy like Anderson fill a roster spot.

QUOTE(Middle Buffalo @ Oct 28, 2005 -> 08:39 PM)
Going into the final year without a new contract, KW basically said to Konerko, "prove it to me."  Prove you deserve a big contract.  He did.

I was one of those guys who always thought PK was expendable.  I don't anymore.  He became the "face" of the orginization this postseason.  The Sox need to sign him for market value immediately.  If that pushes them over whatever dollar amount they have budgeted for the team for 2006, so be it.  They can figure out, after PK has signed, how to reduce salaries in other areas to meet that budget. 

It might mean losing Marte or Everett.  It might mean losing Frank or El Duque.  It might be time.  Have a young guy like Anderson fill a roster spot.

I am in the camp now of wanting him back and I wasn't before. That said, I am not in favor of them doing something unreasonable to get him back. He is not the face of the franchise, Ozzie Guillen is. To treat Konerko as the team superstar would go in the face of what just worked. If signing Konerko to 5 years, 70 million now prevents us from being able to keep Mark, Jose, Freddy, and Jon over the next few years then that will be a shame.

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Oct 28, 2005 -> 07:53 PM)
I am in the camp now of wanting him back and I wasn't before. That said, I am not in favor of them doing something unreasonable to get him back. He is not the face of the franchise, Ozzie Guillen is. To treat Konerko as the team superstar would go in the face of what just worked. If signing Konerko to 5 years, 70 million now prevents us from being able to keep Mark, Jose, Freddy, and Jon over the next few years then that will be a shame.

I guess you're right, that Ozzie is the face of the organization, but I really meant more that on a national level, the player who distinguished himself is PK. The pitching collectively was great, but "chicks dig the longball." Konerko came up big several times. I think it would look really cheap if he is not resigned. And the Sox cannot afford bad publicity.

I agree that I wouldn't want his contract to mean losing important piecesof the team. That's why I mentioned losing older guys or guys who could benefit from a change of scenery. Some hard decisions will have to be made regardless, but I think I speak for most Sox fans when I say, "I have faith in Kenny!"

Konerko will definitley do what is best for him. He will not give us much of a hometown discount as I think he feels like he was going to if they would've locked him up earlier in the year.

It's funny how I remember there was an article about him wanting to resign and that he wasn't a "break the bank" type ball player and he was confident that he would be back. Anyone remember that article? We need PK back and the sox should give him fair market value, but nothing outrageous. They might have to overpay a little but if thats what they have to do then do it.

Although if he starts asking for too much I don't have a problem with letting him go. Afterall, you don't want to regret giving him a huge contract with no payroll flexibility. Just think about it this way, had Maggs resigned, we probably wouldn't have AJ and Tad.

"Second team, no more," Konerko yelled, in reference to the White Sox perceived second status to the Cubs in their own city.

"All year we had to listen to people saying we didn't have the team to do this," Konerko added. "Not you people, but there were others who didn't want to believe. We were leading the division at the All-Star break and people thought we weren't going to make it. Didn't happen.

"We win the division and people expected the Red Sox to beat us in the playoffs. Didn't happen. Then, we had to hear about umpires' calls and other stuff in Anaheim and domes and all sorts of different stuff in Houston.

"I started to wonder, 'What would make people think we are a good team?'" Konerko added. "The only thing I could come up with was maybe do this one more time next year."

the best part.

I think that leaving him open to a career ending injury this year without protection for the future probably bothers him more than he's letting on. I think he's been diplomatic about it and certainly winning the world freakin' series heals a lot of the pain, but the Sox had their chance. I don't blame him for looking around and testing the market. It can only benefit him in the end and drive up his value.

I'm sorry to see him go. A guy who plays great D, hits 40 HR and 100 RBI deserves more respect than he got, IMO. But at least he brought us the hardware, baby.

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Oct 28, 2005 -> 09:53 PM)

i agree. also bmags raised a valid point about the Very Jerry Moment today. if i had money on it, id say when Jerry leaned over to whisper in Paulies ear, he said "youll get what ya want" but thats just a hunch.

QUOTE(fathom @ Oct 28, 2005 -> 09:15 PM)
I'll be stunned if he's back with the Sox.  If he leaves, at least he went out as a f***ing contributor to a world series winner.  You can't ask for much more.

I'll be stunned if he's not back with the Sox. If he leaves, at least he went out as a f***ing contributor to a world series winner. You can't ask for much more.

I want Paul back really, really bad for around 12-13 mill. Unfortunately I think it's a possibility that he gets around 15 from the Angels and that's just to much money to shell out to Paul as good as he is. Hopefully we can somehow keep him for a reasonable price.

THe problem with this offseason, as opposed to the last few offseasons with your Beltrans, Vlads, and Tejadas as that there isn't really an exceptional replacement in the market for Paulie. In the past you could have easily just signed another guy for around the same money but maybe younger and faster. THis year, that really isn't so. 1B is such an important position that you have to have a real bat there. If we don't land Paulie, book it that Carlos Delgado will be a member of this team next year as Florida is forced to slash payroll.

That said, I am not in favor of them doing something unreasonable to get him back. He is not the face of the franchise, Ozzie Guillen is.

--Paulie though is the face of the World Championship team.

We really do have to keep him.

I can understand why he wants an extra two mill a year but I tell you sometimes players should just f***ing stay put. If Paulie stays here for 2 mill less than the damn Angels, Paulie remains a Chicago icon FOREVER. When he retires, he works here on TV in some capacity and all that. I realize players don't think this way but in his case, his career took off in Chicago and he pretty much sucked everywhere else.

It would benefit him to stay (even if he doesn't realize it and wants 2 mill more a year) because after he retires, he's assured Ditka and Oz-like status. He led us to a World Series and Chicagoans will never forget that. s***, endorsements, et. all in Chicago will set him up forever.

But I do understand players almost ALWAYS take the best offer and I guess I expect him to do the same.

He should take Jerry's offer, it's going to be a good one, and stay here and be a happy ICON forever.

Honestly, I cannot see this team without Paul Konerko next year. It would just be so awkward. Like people have been saying, Konerko is the face of the franchise and the 2005 playoffs were his coming out party. Since 1999, PK has been manning that same 1st base and to see anyone else but him there is just not imaginable. He had grown on me and I honestly think I would cry if he left. If I am JR, I do anything in my right mind to resign PK. Even if the contract may seem absurd, no one can say he doesn't deserves what he is asking for. Great players produce. PK has produced. There is no production greater than leading your team to a championship.

I'm sorry, I don't see anyone going to $15 mil for Paulie. There just aren't that many teams that can throw around that much cash to start with, and most of them have bigger concerns than 1B. Are the Angels really going to commit that much cash to Paulie when they already have Colon and Vlad signed to serious money (among others), and with Morales possibly making a major impact soon? Or the Red Sox with their pitching issues? The Yankees with some similar problems and a desperate need for a CF? The Dodgers with plenty of other overpaid players on the roster? The Orioles with escalating salaries for Tejada and Lopez and a desperate need for pitching? I personally doubt it.

Teams always talk about making major runs at players, but most of them fall well short of committing the money necessary to make the move. It seems like everyone thinks they have a real shot at Paulie, but I'd be surprised if more than 2 teams offer over $12 mil.

I appreciate what Paulie did for this team, I really do. That said, if you can get Delgado at 12-13 over the next three vs. Paulie at 14 over the next 5-6, I think that is no longer a slam dunk. What will we have to hypothetically give up for Delgado? Good question. The Red Sox and Angels team that didn't end up with Konerko would be in. The Mets would be in but Florida would like to go out of the division if possible. Thome being out there impacts the scenario as well. I think Damaso Marte would be part of a package but it wouldn't cost AS much as one would think because Florida has to move him

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Oct 29, 2005 -> 12:25 AM)
I appreciate what Paulie did for this team, I really do. That said, if you can get Delgado at 12-13 over the next three vs. Paulie at 14 over the next 5-6, I think that is no longer a slam dunk. What will we have to hypothetically give up for Delgado? Good question. The Red Sox and Angels team that didn't end up with Konerko would be in. The Mets would be in but Florida would like to go out of the division if possible. Thome being out there impacts the scenario as well. I think Damaso Marte would be part of a package but it wouldn't cost AS much as one would think because Florida has to move him

I am willing to bet both delgado is not traded this off-season. The marlins are not in as big of a jam as people are making it out to be. Thome on the other hand will be traded at some point during this off-season. It is nearly impossible to see howard in the outfield and abreu in center field and they will not platoon howard and him

QUOTE(qwerty @ Oct 29, 2005 -> 05:42 PM)
I am willing to bet both delgado is not traded this off-season. The marlins are not in as big of a jam as people are making it out to be.  Thome on the other hand will be traded at some point during this off-season. It is nearly impossible to see howard in the outfield and abreu in center field and they will not platoon howard and him

Yeah, Pat Burrell can't play RF either, and Abreu isn't that good in CF, so they'd be real terrible defensively in the OF even if Howard was starting everyday in LF. One of Thome or Howard will have to traded. Whoever the new GM is, will have a fun time figuring out that one.