ESPN: "It sounds like Paul Konerko plans to stay"

rventura23

QUOTE(Felix @ Oct 31, 2005 -> 10:59 PM)
It would be nice if ESPN was right for a change.

You mean like listing Aubrey Huff as a free agent in this very article.

/And I like Schwartz. He does good stuff for the NYT and the Numbers Game would make some of you who live to bash Moneyball understand that statistical analysis is nothing new.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You mean like listing Aubrey Huff as a free agent in this very article.

/And I like Schwartz. He does good stuff for the NYT and the Numbers Game would make some of you who live to bash Moneyball understand that statistical analysis is nothing new.

Schwarz also mentioned Moises Alou as an outfield option even though Alou picked up his own $6 million option on October 27th to stay with the Giants for next season. This guy doesn't seem to do his research.

Maybe he's one of the rare guys who decides to make a decision based on happiness and comfort level more than ONLY money.

If he does this, he might be the first to actually become a free agent and stay.

He'll be a legend in chitown forever if he stays unless he suddenly becomes a .190 hitter or something wacky like that.

s***, just his last name says chicago even though he didn't grow up here.

Konerko and Ditka!

The thing is now that Konerko won a WS and he was part of the big reason of winning it.... dont rule out him going to a team that doesnt really have a chance but is willing to pay him big money...

I really think Konerko wants to stay. He wouldn't have made such a big deal about giving the last out ball to Reinsdorf and saying that they should win it all again next season if he didn't want to stay. But he will still want the big bucks from the Sox.

I honestly don't know why defered money is such a big deal. If I was making that much, as in millions per year, and they wanted to defer some of it until later in life, I'd let them...JUST IN CASE, especially if I was a dumbass that couldn't handle his own money and needed to hire accountants to do it for me.

That would be like making about 10M per year NOW...and then, after you're retired and unable to play baseball anymore...them still paying you a few million per year to sit on your proverbial ASS and do nothing.

Now, don't get me wrong, as defered money is not a great deal for those who have financial control, as it lets the owner collect interest on said money, however, sports players arent usually the great financial geniuses of our time, as a lot of them end up dead broke in the future. At least this way they can say I still have a future...rather than finding them pumping gas or working at a diner 25 years later and breaking my heart.

QUOTE(bulokis @ Oct 31, 2005 -> 11:45 PM)
All we need to do is offer Paulie close to the highest offer he gets and maybe he will sign for less money.

There is one more factor that people are not taking into account. Pauly is the premeir FA on the market this year, and it has already leaked out that the union wants to make him take the highest bid, in order to set the market high so that the rest of the FAs will be able to set their value higher. We might not be able to win a bidding war that involves us slightly under the highest bid, and it might not be ours or Konerko's fault. It is hard to say "no" to your entire bretheran.

QUOTE(Y2HH @ Nov 1, 2005 -> 07:39 AM)
I honestly don't know why defered money is such a big deal.  If I was making that much, as in millions per year, and they wanted to defer some of it until later in life, I'd let them...JUST IN CASE, especially if I was a dumbass that couldn't handle his own money and needed to hire accountants to do it for me.

That would be like making about 10M per year NOW...and then, after you're retired and unable to play baseball anymore...them still paying you a few million per year to sit on your proverbial ASS and do nothing.

Now, don't get me wrong, as defered money is not a great deal for those who have financial control, as it lets the owner collect interest on said money, however, sports players arent usually the great financial geniuses of our time, as a lot of them end up dead broke in the future.  At least this way they can say I still have a future...rather than finding them pumping gas or working at a diner 25 years later and breaking my heart.

It's not, to many. I do find it funny reading the posts to offer him deferred $$ though. Just a year ago the same folks were s***ting on Jerry & Co for offering the same type deal to Mags.. :rolly

QUOTE(greg775 @ Nov 1, 2005 -> 12:48 AM)
Maybe he's one of the rare guys who decides to make a decision based on happiness and comfort level more than ONLY money.

If he does this, he might be the first to actually become a free agent and stay.

He'll be a legend in chitown forever if he stays unless he suddenly becomes a .190 hitter or something wacky like that.

s***, just his last name says chicago even though he didn't grow up here.

Konerko and Ditka!

That is what Im counting on. Paulie is happy here, he was a big contributer on our World Series ring and Chicago loves him. All those good things are what Im counting on him staying here with us.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Oct 31, 2005 -> 10:51 PM)
I've always wanted to know this but if your Paul Konerko what the hell is the difference between 48 and 50 million dollars?

Perhaps the difference between being the 5th highest paid first baseman and the 9th highest paid first baseman.

Hang around enough pro athletes and to a man they know how they rank by salary. Same as most people.

What is the difference between $45,000 and $47,000? If the guy in the next cubicle, doing the same job as you, only not as well, is making more, most people are pissed and want a raise to at least match.

Don't you think a competitive athlete wants to be the highest paid at his position?

Y2HH, the deferred money becomes a problem once you factor in inflation, interest, and investments. If I gave you $2,000 in 1975, you could go out and buy yourself a nice new car. If I gave you that same $2,000 in 2000, you could make a down payment.

http://redsox.bostonherald.com/redSox/view...rticleid=109394

Paul's agent hints differently..

"Paul lives in Arizona and probably would prefer something near there but he wants to play on a good, contending team, for a manager he likes and in a city he likes, plus he wants a deal for as much length as possible, like five, six or seven years,” agent Craig Landis said yesterday. “So the Red Sox are not out of it at all, in my opinion....."

QUOTE(Steff @ Nov 1, 2005 -> 01:34 PM)
http://redsox.bostonherald.com/redSox/view...rticleid=109394

plus he wants a deal for as much length as possible, like five, six or seven years,”

That is rediculous. If someone offers the 31 year old Konerko a 7 year deal, they deserve to get him. 6 and 7 year deals are becoming a thing of the past. Especially for a guy in his 30's. I can see KW offering PAUL EEE a 5 year at the very most. I'd hate to see him go, but if the Bo Sox offer him 7 years, then....HE GAWN!!

QUOTE(He Gawn!!! @ Nov 1, 2005 -> 12:46 PM)
That is rediculous.  If someone offers the 31 year old Konerko a 7 year deal, they deserve to get him.  6 and 7 year deals are becoming a thing of the past.  Especially for a guy in his 30's.  I can see KW offering PAUL EEE a 5 year at the very most.  I'd hate to see him go, but if the Bo Sox offer him 7 years, then....HE GAWN!!

PK's DOB = March 5, 1976. That makes him 29. So, signing a 29 year old to a 7 year contract is not much worse than signing a 31 year old to a 5 year deal, which you thought to be reasonable when you were under the impression PK was 31.

One thing is for certain, PK should get a little better deal than what Sexton and Beltre got last yr. Sexton got a 4 yr, $50 mill deal [$12.5 mill. a yr, a career .270/.352/.530 hitter, coming off an injury]. Beltre got a 5 yr, $64 mill deal--[$12.8 mill a yr, coming off probably a steriod produced career year], and his career #'s were .271/.327/.455.

PK's career#'s are pretty close with both--.279/.349/.488.

He should expect a 5yr deal worth about $13 mill a yr.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Nov 2, 2005 -> 04:59 AM)
PK's DOB = March 5, 1976.  That makes him 29.  So, signing a 29 year old to a 7 year contract is not much worse than signing a 31 year old to a 5 year deal, which you thought to be reasonable when you were under the impression PK was 31.

You sneaky bastard. Good call dude. Im not sure why I thought PK was 31. DAMNIT!!

Well then, give him whatever the hell he wants. JR and KW have my blessing. Lets get er done!!

QUOTE(YASNY @ Nov 2, 2005 -> 04:59 AM)
PK's DOB = March 5, 1976.  That makes him 29.  So, signing a 29 year old to a 7 year contract is not much worse than signing a 31 year old to a 5 year deal, which you thought to be reasonable when you were under the impression PK was 31.

um are you seriously referring to the idea of signing damon? you've got to be kidding. i believe that we have alredy established that damon is a BUM, whereas PK is not.

dude, seriously, johnny damon? what are you smoking?

QUOTE(bighurt2719 @ Nov 2, 2005 -> 09:19 AM)
um are you seriously referring to the idea of signing damon? you've got to be kidding. i believe that we have alredy established that damon is a BUM, whereas PK is not.

dude, seriously, johnny damon? what are you smoking?

If any post fits the "A-B conversation, C your way out" phrase, this was it.

Bighurt, dont ask other people what they are smoking if you are hogging the crack pipe.