Torii Hunter gold glove?!?!?!

Steve9347

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Felix @ Nov 2, 2005 -> 01:39 PM)
The players and managers are morons.

It's all about reputation. And you can imagine what happens if Hunter gets traded to the Yanks, and gets to make his "dazzling" plays over there.

As for Rowand missing out, well it's like this all the time. Because he's not a "name" player, he's not going to win. Doesn't make it right, but that's the way it goes, and I can't see that changing now.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Nov 1, 2005 -> 09:49 PM)
It's all about reputation. And you can imagine what happens if Hunter gets traded to the Yanks, and gets to make his "dazzling" plays over there.

As for Rowand missing out, well it's like this all the time. Because he's not a "name" player, he's not going to win. Doesn't make it right, but that's the way it goes, and I can't see that changing now.

I really want to dig up my 30+ posts from the past few months that say this exact same thing. It's sad that an award like this that could have so much meaning and could be a significant honor has become such a joke.

QUOTE(wilmot825 @ Nov 1, 2005 -> 08:50 PM)
Tori Hunter gold glove my ass......He didnt even play the whole season. Besides his defense sucked this year....MLB can kiss my ass on these gold glove winners this year. :gosox1:

If Jenks had his pitching hand sitting on his hip, it would be a great example of those Captain Morgan Gold commercials....just FYI.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Nov 1, 2005 -> 07:53 PM)
Is there ever going to be a year when Derek Jeter DOESN'T win a Gold Glove while he's playing? Seriously?

Next year...now that the world has been introduced to the other guy who can win a world series by diving into the stands.

QUOTE(WilliamTell @ Nov 1, 2005 -> 11:34 PM)
No question about it, there will be a spotlight on Uribe next year.

Don't forget about Crede either, he opened some eyes throughout the whole playoffs. The sox will get more attention next season. Maybe not as a whole but certain players like Crede and Uribe will have a lot of people looking at them.

I am disappointed no one from our team got a GG but I am so damn proud of their efforts. Everyone did a great job in the playoffs, actually better than great. f*** GG's we got a damn WS title on the south side because of these guys. Thats how I look at it at least.

On a side note, we all know Crede and Uribe can do it defensively now lets see what they can do for a whole season with their new hitting approaches.

QUOTE(Sox Hustler @ Nov 1, 2005 -> 09:42 PM)
Don't forget about Crede either, he opened some eyes throughout the whole playoffs. The sox will get more attention next season. Maybe not as a whole but certain players like Crede and Uribe will have a lot of people looking at them.

Crede will need to hit 30 home runs to win a gold glove.

It's so much based on reputation that for him to pass chavez in the GG voting...he needs to at least equal Chavez offensively.

If I am not mistaken, these awards are voted on by sports journalists, right?

That being the case, maybe if MLB wanted to make the awards a little more meaningful (that's a BIG if of course), they would grab a volunteer committee that was a subsection of the voters for the Hall of Fame. Those HOF'ers are usually good at making much better calls on such things, year in and year out. You may see players not get in that some feel should, but you rarely see players go in that should not. Almost never, in fact.

Just a thought.

The players do get bonuses for winning Gold Gloves, so does matter some what to them.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Nov 2, 2005 -> 07:04 AM)
Shouldn't you be busy figuring out how we are going to blow opening day?  :sweep:

I'm waiting for the suggestions to completely overhaul the line-up before spring training starts :)

The more people disregard the Sox the bigger the chip on their shoulder will grow. I think by the time ST rolls around people will be dismissing them once again and picking the Indians to take the division. Seriously. And that just plays right into the hands of the Sox. They don't need individual honors.

That said, I still think Hunter is a better defensive outfielder than Rowand. No question.

In all honesty, this both makes me fume AND makes me laugh at the same time. Hunter... GG winner, when he didn't even play for most of the season, beating out guys like ARow, who made so mnay unbelievable plays it's rediculous, and played excellent CF all year. I think I'm actually more sad to see that Hunter got the GG than the fact Aaron DIDN'T get one. How pathetic. What a joke, indeed. Maybe MLB should do the voting. Not that it would matter all that much, now that I think about it.

But ultimately, I guess it shouldn't be focused on so much. The White Sox just won the World Series, and hoepfully they can contend once again next year, and we can just keep shoving it all back in everyone's faces. Wanna pick Hunter over Aaron? Ok, go ahead, just keep ignoring the White Sox like always, but it makes you look like even more like ignorant assholes, which you are.

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ Nov 2, 2005 -> 01:24 PM)
The more people disregard the Sox the bigger the chip on their shoulder will grow. I think by the time ST rolls around people will be dismissing them once again and picking the Indians to take the division. Seriously. And that just plays right into the hands of the Sox. They don't need individual honors.

That method of thinking sure worked in Minnesota's favor from 2001-2004. As I recall, the White Sox were the team that everyone kept picking back then...