What Sox championship memorabilia do you recommend

Funkman7

I just picked up the SI special commemorative edition for the White Sox. The writing was okay, but it didn't provide much more than what I read already in the regular SI issues. In some cases the articles were pretty much lifted from the regular issues.

I liked the issue, but I was trying to find something with writing that better captured the moment. (If you've read the issue, you realize that Minnie Minoso's article doesn't really cut it.)

Of course I'm going to pick up the dvd's as soon as they are released... but what else should I look into?

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Funkman7 @ Nov 3, 2005 -> 06:38 AM)
I just picked up the SI special commemorative edition for the White Sox.  The writing was okay, but it didn't provide much more than what I read already in the regular SI issues.  In some cases the articles were pretty much lifted from the regular issues.

I liked the issue, but I was trying to find something with writing that better captured the moment.  (If you've read the issue, you realize that Minnie Minoso's article doesn't really cut it.)

Of course I'm going to pick up the dvd's as soon as they are released... but what else should I look into?

I picked up the Tribune comemorative book they released. Something like $15. Well worth it, very nice quality pics.

QUOTE(The Critic @ Nov 3, 2005 -> 07:56 AM)
Between the Sun-Times pullout sections and the World Series program, I don't feel like I need any other magazines. Tomorrow's 46 page Sun-Times pullout should just about complete the collection for me.

Thanks for the heeads up on the Times pull-out. I have all of the Trib stuff, their Sunday Commerative addition was ok.

There is a Street & Smith book that I have along with SI and the Trib.

Look this week for the weekly publications.

QUOTE(tonyho7476 @ Nov 3, 2005 -> 09:36 AM)
I just ordered 2 sets of the Topps World Series Cards...$19.99....I got one for viewing, one for saving...

LOL, I did the same thing with the topps cards. I have been buying some duplicates. I have a big plastic bin I have that I am collecting newspapers, other stuff for attic put away.

Got the bats from igottohavethat.com. Been buying all of the books and crap, the DVD when it comes out.

Anyone in Chicago willing to pick up one of the Sun Times tomorrow and send it out to Vegas for me? I'd love to have one and unfortunately can't get ahold of them here.

PM if this is a possibility and I can send you money for the paper & postage today through paypal (or pop it in the mail if you don't have paypal account).

Thanks!

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Nov 3, 2005 -> 10:39 AM)
LOL, I did the same thing with the topps cards.  I have been buying some duplicates.  I have a big plastic bin I have that I am collecting newspapers, other stuff for attic put away. 

Got the bats from igottohavethat.com.  Been buying all of the books and crap, the DVD when it comes out.

Also got the bats, extra newspapers, magazines, DVD...can't wait for that.

I got the Sun-Times 11 x 14 photo of the Sports section cover in the mail yesterday. It's the one that is a photo of the team celebrating and says CHAMPS at the bottom. It's a cool photo and I'm going to put it in a frame.

Other than that, I have a wish list on the MLB site of all the stuff I want. World Series flag, bumper stickers (I'm going to put those on Cubs fans cars), WS shirt and hat, little WS trophy desk weight and a massive White Sox banner.

The one thing that I'm working on, is that I'm putting all the highlights on DVD. But for game 4 of the WS, I'm putting the entire game and all the celebration on DVD. I got the double layer DVD's for that.

QUOTE(The Critic @ Nov 3, 2005 -> 07:56 AM)
Between the Sun-Times pullout sections and the World Series program, I don't feel like I need any other magazines. Tomorrow's 46 page Sun-Times pullout should just about complete the collection for me.

Well, I did not know about that one! I do believe I will be picking up the Sun-Times tomorrow! Thank you!

QUOTE(Irishsox1 @ Nov 3, 2005 -> 10:38 AM)
I got the Sun-Times 11 x 14 photo of the Sports section cover in the mail yesterday.  It's the one that is a photo of the team celebrating and says CHAMPS at the bottom.  It's a cool photo and I'm going to put it in a frame. 

Other than that, I have a wish list on the MLB site of all the stuff I want.  World Series flag, bumper stickers (I'm going to put those on Cubs fans cars), WS shirt and hat, little WS trophy desk weight and a massive White Sox banner.

The one thing that I'm working on, is that I'm putting all the highlights on DVD.  But for game 4 of the WS, I'm putting the entire game and all the celebration on DVD.  I got the double layer DVD's for that.

Whoa. How exactly are you doing that? do you have your tivo hooked up to your computer somehow?

These are what are important to me:

Got it:

ALCS Program

Game 3 ALCS Ticket Stub

One set unopened red ThunderStix

World Series Program

Game 1 World Series Ticket Stub

Chicago Tribune Section 1 and World Series special section; 10/23/05

Need it:

White Sox Authentic road gray jersey with World Series patch (I'll be getting #12)

Sports Illustrated Commemorative Edition. I got the Boston Red Sox' edition last year while I was living in Chicago, but I've not yet seen the Commemorative SI out in LA.

Chicago Tribune Section 1, 10/27/05, framed.

You can get the Sun-Times if you want, but since I really never liked reading it, I don't bother, but I did manage to collect all of the '85 Bears poster pull-outs when I was a kid.

Get whatever will be sentimental to you. The programs and ticket stubs say that to me because I was at those games.

Edited by Drew

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Nov 7, 2005 -> 12:48 PM)
Saw it at the Mall  few days ago. The center of it is the Sox all out on the mound in Houston celebrating. Very cool.

I am soooo going to get my ass kicked when the CC bills start rolling in. :ph34r:

QUOTE(dreamrio @ Nov 3, 2005 -> 12:30 PM)
I want to know if anyone is getting a team autographed ball from neiman marcus.  $2500

yikes

I ended up buying a team signed 16x20 photo from a Steiner Sports dealer. The price is a bit ridiculous (not quite as bad as that ball), but I had to have it. Obviously after I get a suitable frame for it the picture will take a place of honor on my wall.

QUOTE(Steff @ Nov 7, 2005 -> 01:54 PM)
I am soooo going to get my ass kicked when the CC bills start rolling in.  :ph34r:

Ha, really. I have been using cash, when I can. And I got my refund on my extra tix, so I've been spending that. Still waiting for my bats. Have you gotten either one yet?

my list so far (from the division clincher on):

Have:

Division championship official shirt

ALDS program

ALDS game 1 ticket

WS official locker room shirt

Parade hoody

Microfleece w/ WS champs patch on it (the most badass thing ever)

Offical WS champs hat

Going to get:

Playoff hoody

Burlymeister bobblehead

Card Set

Banner

Flag

Monopoly

Countless Books

SI subscription

i miss having money :lol: