Bob Nightengale: Sox Tell Phills They Want Thome

Wealz

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(beck72 @ Nov 18, 2005 -> 08:01 PM)
interesting that Thome's career numbers are very, very good at both the Metrodome and Jacobs field.

@ Minn- .343/.429/.677  [10.9 AB/HR

@ Cle- .306/.440/.629  [11.8 AB/HR

@ the Cell- .286/.382/.600  [11.7 ab/hr

wow, those are really great. If he's anywhere near healthy and can put up similar numbers in a Sox uniform I would be extremely happy.

Great news to hear. Thome AND Konerko. That should make Cub fans shiver.The Sox should spend a bit more to make them stronger for a second run. I think in the long term, if the Sox could go back-to-back, marketing would get even stonger (giving Reinsdorf more money because we all like spending his money). It's gotta be both. Iguchi is great. He is a clever and pesky ball player. I wouldn't want anybody on the team to leave. I'm still sad about Blum. :crying

wow that whitesox fan on that board is a total homer lol. I know Rowand is good defensively but he rates him above everyone else lol and says me and u could play the corners with Rowand at CF. Thats some funny stuff.

And than if we give up Garland I dont care how much of the contract the Phillies eat up I would be really pissed. Only starter I wont mind leaving is El Duque. And if the deal is right Garcia.

Jim Thome says that he would accept a trade to the Indians and White Sox.

http://www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/sports/13211982.htm

Thome struggles with an uncertain future

By Jim Salisbury

Inquirer Staff Writer

CLEARWATER, Fla. - Jim Thome wasn't even halfway through a three-hour workout, and already his gray T-shirt was soaked in sweat.

It was a little after 10 one recent morning, and the temperature was in the 80s on Florida's Gulf Coast. A lone groundskeeper was busy aerating the outfield grass at Bright House Networks Field, while Thome did conditioning exercises under the supervision of a trainer.

Lifting and bending, reaching and running, grunting and groaning. This was the easy part of Thome's day.

In a couple of hours, he would shower, grab some lunch and once again begin to wonder anxiously about the future, where he'd play his next baseball game, and who he'd play it for.

The Phillies?

The Indians?

The White Sox?

"There needs to be a resolution," said Thome, who could see himself playing for any one of these teams.

It almost seems unthinkable. Just three years after his signing electrified a lifeless baseball town, Jim Thome may have played his last game for the Phillies.

The slugging first baseman spent much of the 2005 season on the disabled list. Ryan Howard, long blocked by Thome, came up from the minors, hit 22 homers in 88 games, won the National League rookie of the year award, and enjoyed Thome-like popularity with the fans.

Howard's emergence means Thome could be traded. Thome is at peace with the possibility.

"I know how baseball works," he said. "I understand that, hey, it might be time for me to move on. That doesn't mean I want to. But that's just the reality of it."

Thome, who missed 103 games with back and elbow injuries, has been diligently rehabbing his body since having elbow surgery Aug. 16.

Trainer Jeff Cooper raves about Thome's physical condition. Indeed, the 35-year-old veteran looks firm and strong, ready to rebound from the nightmare that was 2005. The year started with the death of his mother, Joyce, and included his having to watch from the side as his teammates' reach for the playoffs came up one game short.

Thome was reluctant to be interviewed as the season wound down. He did not want his personal situation to distract the team. He did not want to come across as being anything but supportive of his replacement, Howard, whose ability and character he admires.

Only recently, with his name flying in trade rumors and the uncertainty of his future beginning to wear on him, did Thome agree to an interview.

In an hourlong conversation, Thome was reflective yet realistic. He spoke glowingly about Philadelphia fans, mentioning the unforgettable welcome the electricians of Local 98 gave him three years ago, and the tribute fans gave him after his 400th homer. He spoke of how much he cared for his teammates, especially Howard, and how much the dilemma that has linked them is weighing on his mind.

"Ryan's a good player and I'm a good player," Thome said. "I'm sure it's difficult on the organization. But there needs to be resolution. It's not fair to Ryan Howard's party. It's not fair to our party."

Recently, general manager Pat Gillick was asked who his opening-day first baseman would be, the guy with 430 homers, or the 2005 NL rookie of the year.

Gillick basically skirted the question, saying that it was the off-season and that there was no starting first baseman right now. Gillick also has said that chances of Howard converting to the outfield were "remote."

All this has led to a feeling around baseball that the Phillies have decided that the 26-year-old Howard, nine years Thome's junior, is their man.

Fair or not, Thome has detected this sentiment, and he can handle it. He got hurt. Howard shined. Let the pieces fall where they may.

"I'm a man," Thome said. "You're not going to hurt my feelings one way or another. If you think I'm older and my best years are behind me, that's OK. If you want to play Ryan Howard, that's OK. You don't win the rookie of the year without being a good player. I understand the business side of baseball."

Business is as much a part of baseball as first base, and there are serious business implications in the Thome/Howard dilemma.

Thome is owed $46 million the next three seasons. To trade him, the Phillies would have to absorb a good chunk of that money, at least half and maybe more, some baseball executives have said.

Thome also has a no-trade clause, meaning he must OK any deal.

"At the time I signed with the Phillies, I never even thought about the no-trade clause," Thome said. "I signed a six-year deal, and I honestly thought it would take me to retirement.

"But I am thinking about it now because my name is out there and they haven't said, 'Jim Thome is our first baseman.' "

Thome has clear parameters on where he would be willing to go, should the Phillies present him with a trade possibility.

It would have to be an American League team, where he could be a designated hitter in addition to a first baseman.

It would have to be to a team with a chance of winning, because his championship desires are as strong as ever.

And, it probably has to be to a city close to his Midwest roots. He grew up in Illinois and has an off-season home outside of Cleveland.

"I can't pinpoint a team yet," Thome said. "But it would have to be close to home. Cleveland would be a place. Would it be the only place? No. Chicago would be there."

Thome played 12 seasons in Cleveland before signing with the Phillies for $85 million in December 2002. Last month, budget-conscious Indians management said Thome was not a fit for the team. But there are now indications that the Indians, who could be in the market for a first baseman, would rethink their position if the Phillies were to eat a significant amount of Thome's salary. Indians general manager Mark Shapiro did not immediately return a telephone call seeking comment.

People close to the situation say the White Sox could make a play for Thome if they are unable to re-sign free agent Paul Konerko. Even if Konerko returns, the Sox could have interest in Thome as a DH.

Thome hit 89 homers his first two seasons with the Phillies. Last year, he hit just .207 with seven homers in 59 games.

Thome is loath to make excuses for his performance, but admits that he was hurt from day one. He says he should have given his strained back longer to heal in spring training. He is not sure how he damaged the flexor tendon in his right elbow, but he knows he couldn't bear the pain of throwing anymore, and having surgery in August was a must if he wanted to be ready for spring training.

Throughout his struggles, Thome heard all the rumblings. He heard people say he couldn't turn on a fastball anymore. He heard some people speculate that he may have been experiencing steroid withdrawal.

"I never doubted my ability," Thome said. "It was just frustrating that I didn't have my true ability because I was hurt."

As for the steroid accusations?

"Laughable," Thome said. "I've heard all that stuff and people have asked me about it. Here's what I tell them - go look at my family photo. Everybody in my family is big. If I ever took a steroid, I'd blow up so much I wouldn't be able to swing a bat. I've never even taken a supplement in my life."

Despite his uncertain future, Thome has no regrets coming to Philadelphia. He says he has enjoyed his time here and is forever grateful for the support the fans have given him.

"Philly has been great to me," he said. "The people have been great to me. If I have to leave, hopefully I'd be lucky enough to go to another city that would treat me as well as Philly has."

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sp...ack=1&cset=true
The Phillies owe Thome $46 million over the next three years and should be willing to take back some contracts (Orlando Hernandez and Aaron Rowand?) to move him. While the White Sox are believed to be talking to the Phillies, their first option is to re-sign Paul Konerko. But a Thome-to-the-Sox deal could be put in place as a fallback, triggered by a Konerko move elsewhere.

I agree that it would take a minor miracle to have BOTH Thome & Kong in a White Sox uniform next year. There's a PR game being played here & that will enter into these decisions.

As far as PR goes, the White Sox have done what they needed to do. Whether it was formal or not the papers have indicated the White Sox made a 52M/4yr deal + an option yr. That's in line with what Delgado got from the Marlin's & it allows the White Sox to save face.

The next big date is in early Dec. If Kong hasn't resigned by then the White Sox have to offer him arbitration to extend talks. Otherwise they have to wait til next May & Kong will be gone by then. So they will no doubt do this to save face but that would open the door for them to aggressively pursue Thome. PR wise the key for the White Sox is to use the leverage they have to convince Kong to either accept a below market contract or watch him leave for a team willing to pay above market prices to get him.

No one but Kotex Boy will fault the Sox if that happens. If Kong leaves then I expect Thome at DH, Dye at 1B, & Pierre in RF. Anderson becomes the 4th OFer. Goodbye Timo. Thomas becomes insurance for both Dye & Thome as well as a PH.

Keep in mind Ozzie is all about flexibility. He's a NL manager in the AL.

The idea of benching Pierre or Pods in a game so that he can use Thomas in PH situations & Anderson in the lineup appeals to him. He then turns Thomas' doubles into excellent RISP sits with using Pierre/Pods to PH for Thomas & replace Anderson in the OF.

Of course it remains to be seen whether Thomas will accept such a diminished role but it's easier to sell knowing Dye is a 4th OFer too. If Thome's health is excellent then he can always return to 1B & Thomas resume DH. So there are a number of ways Kenny can sell this idea to Thomas but of course the diminished role comes at a diminished price & performance incentives.

QUOTE(S720 @ Nov 22, 2005 -> 08:12 AM)
Per Bruce Levine this morning, Phillies want Rowand AND Contreras/BMAC for Jim Thome.  If this is the case, I say, "THE HELL WITH YOU!  I'll stick with my players then."

I forgot.

AND the White Sox has to pay 2/3 of Thome's salary! What the hell the Phillies are thinking or eating or drinking or sniffing?

Maybe this has been brought up, but is anybody worried about Thome's production in the past possibly being with the help of roids??? Not accussing, just asking opinions. I know he was hurt last year and that's why his numbers dropped, but you never know. I'd hate to send off a few guys for him and receive no offensive results.

QUOTE(S720 @ Nov 22, 2005 -> 02:12 PM)
Per Bruce Levine this morning, Phillies want Rowand AND Contreras/BMAC for Jim Thome.  If this is the case, I say, "THE HELL WITH YOU!  I'll stick with my players then."

I heard the same thing. Levine said they were in serious negotiations. This would be an awful, awful trade.

QUOTE(S720 @ Nov 22, 2005 -> 09:12 AM)

Consider the source, folks. Not exactly the most reliable guy out there. No need to panic... probably.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Nov 22, 2005 -> 10:00 AM)
Does anyone think that GMs actually laugh when proposals like this are made?  I really wouldn't know how to hide my laughter and/or disgust.

Yes Phils, I will give you my ace of the second half last year, and a top tier defensive OF'er for your injured slugger who may not have any good at bats left in him, and who you need to move to make room for your phenom. Yes, sounds like a deal.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Nov 22, 2005 -> 09:24 AM)
Yes Phils, I will give you my ace of the second half last year, and a top tier defensive OF'er for your injured slugger who may not have any good at bats left in him, and who you need to move to make room for your phenom.  Yes, sounds like a deal.

You forgot the part where Thome will only accept a trade to a few teams. Even more reason to give them that package.

QUOTE(Gldfinger5 @ Nov 22, 2005 -> 02:31 PM)
Maybe this has been brought up, but is anybody worried about Thome's production in the past possibly being with the help of roids???  Not accussing, just asking opinions.  I know he was hurt last year and that's why his numbers dropped, but you never know.  I'd hate to send off a few guys for him and receive no offensive results.

Simply, NO.

QUOTE(S720 @ Nov 22, 2005 -> 08:12 AM)

I think nothing of this. I have complete and total faith in Kenny. He wouldn't even consider a deal like this.

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Nov 22, 2005 -> 11:07 AM)
Simply, NO.

Does that mean you're sure he wasn't on the juice? How can you know? He had a mediocre second half in 2004, got hurt in 2005, and is the sort of power bat that fits the profile. I have no idea if he used steroids or not, but I don't think it can be dismissed out of hand.

The bottom-line is that Thome is 35 and coming off an injury. So even without the possibility of steroid use, he's not a sure bet to be what he was a few years ago. Even then, he's not a perfect player, he strikes out a lot and hit .203 with runners in scoring position in 2004.

It would be great to add him to the lineup, a lefty power bat is obviously a Sox need. But there's no way it should cost Rowand and McCarthy/Contreras. The Red Sox got Josh Beckett for no major league ready talent. I don't see why the Sox should give up more than Rowand and a prospect not named Chris Young for Thome, at the very most. Especially with a pretty small market given his preference for the midwest.

QUOTE(hitlesswonder @ Nov 22, 2005 -> 12:29 PM)
Does that mean you're sure he wasn't on the juice? How can you know? He had a mediocre second half in 2004, got hurt in 2005, and is the sort of power bat that fits the profile. I have no idea if he used steroids or not, but I don't think it can be dismissed out of hand.

I would say that the 10 or so prior injury free years, and the fact that he has always been a hulking monster since he came up with Cleveland would be two huge holes in your theory. It would be kinda stupid for him to start doing the juice right when MLB starts testing for it.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Nov 22, 2005 -> 11:35 AM)
I would say that the 10 or so prior injury free years, and the fact that he has always been a hulking monster since he came up with Cleveland would be two huge holes in your theory.  It would be kinda stupid for him to start doing the juice right when MLB starts testing for it.

I don't have a theory; I'm just saying I don't know if he was on juice or not. Giambi was injury free for a long time as was Palmeiro. It's true he's always been big, at least from what I remember, but I still don't think there's anyway you or I could know for sure.

Anyway, all I'm saying is that it's hard to know what kind of performance you'll get from Thome, and given that the Sox shouldn't be in a hurry to give up too much to get him. I'm not against the idea of trading for him.