White Sox acquire Jim Thome per ESPNnews

Punch and Judy Garland

• Replies 848
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(whitesoxmanager @ Nov 24, 2005 -> 07:13 PM)
Aaron Rowand loved the Chicago White Sox.  He loved Joe Crede.  He loved AJP.  He loved being in the uni.  He loved the fans.  He said he was shocked and still is.  Doesnt anybody care about how he feels right now?  He is sitting somewhere on Thanksgiving depressed as a MOFO!  He came to this team and gave his heart & this is how we repay him?  I AM PISSED!  I DONT GET IT!  I wouldnt trade my cat for any business reason!  IF IT AINT BROKE DONT FIX IT!  THIS IS THE WORST THANKSGVING EVER!  I am never going to embrace Thome like i would a guy who gave his all for us from the beginning!

Yeah, this is the worst Thanksgiving ever seeing as how I just puked up turkey and chitterlings all over my motherf***ing keyboard.

FoxSports Dayn Perry, with a horrible column about the trade:

The only fans who should be happy about the Thome-Rowand deal are those in Philly and those in Cleveland and Minnesota. That's because the reigning world champs are a worse team for having made this trade.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/5111062

This guy is so biased against the Sox it is ridiculous. Every single playoff series he picked against the Sox. I thought ESPN was bad, but this guy is right there with ESPN. I cannot believe they pay him. I know everyone has an opinion, but he is trying to compare Thome and Thomas in regards to injuries, even though they had completely different injuries. He never once mentioned who Thome was replacing (Everett), and says that the Sox should have moved Pods instead of Rowand.

Edited by WinninUgly

QUOTE(Felix @ Nov 24, 2005 -> 06:23 PM)
Without raising the payroll to like.. $95 million?

Our payroll last year was right around $75 million. After this trade, we could resign Konerko and have our team spend something like $77-$78 million if we don't sign anyone else to long term deals.

If we sign AJ and Garland to new contracts, and hopefully Crede as well, as we damn well better...then that will probably push us somewhere above $80 million, but probably not to $85 million.

We could trade for Pierre without a $95 million payroll. But that doesn't mean I want to trade for him. We've got so much youth up and coming in our outfield, I just really dislike the idea of trading to get an outfielder who costs 10 times more than any of our other young outfielders and will probably leave after a year or two.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Nov 24, 2005 -> 11:15 PM)
Dayn Perry is a f***ing douche. That hasn't changed. He's got his head so far up his ass he can already see the turkey and potatoes he had for dinner.

Yeah, I know he is, but man, he has no clue. Pods for Thome? Thomas instead. So I guess the Sox are going to wait and see if Frank is healthy in a couple of months, miss all the FA's and then we have Timo at DH.

I can guarantee if Thome went back to the Indians he would be saying that they would be a lock for the WS. Oh damn, he already projected the Sox NOT to even make the playoffs:

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/5050632

Edited by WinninUgly

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Nov 24, 2005 -> 08:15 PM)
Dayn Perry is a f***ing douche. That hasn't changed. He's got his head so far up his ass he can already see the turkey and potatoes he had for dinner.

So here's the question...how will Thome respond when no one believes in his team and everyone picks against him before the season?

QUOTE(JDsDirtySox @ Nov 24, 2005 -> 09:33 PM)
Its now out that the Indians were also trying hard for Thome.  The Phillies turned down a dealing centering around Coco Crisp and David Riske.

Glad he is here and not with the Tribe.

With what we had to give up to get Thome, I figured the Tribe must have been offering a pretty damn good package. If this is true, I would have taken the Tribe's offer. Maybe they wanted the Phillies to eat even more of the contract.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Nov 24, 2005 -> 11:20 PM)
So here's the question...how will Thome respond when no one believes in his team and everyone picks against him before the season?

Just add another chip on his shoulder.

This boob Perry also said Konerko was one of his Top 5 FAs that are not worth it. So obviously when the Sox lock Konerko in, he will also say that it was a bad deal for the Sox, hilarious.

QUOTE(whitesoxmanager @ Nov 24, 2005 -> 01:13 PM)
Aaron Rowand loved the Chicago White Sox.  He loved Joe Crede.  He loved AJP.  He loved being in the uni.  He loved the fans.  He said he was shocked and still is.  Doesnt anybody care about how he feels right now?  He is sitting somewhere on Thanksgiving depressed as a MOFO!  He came to this team and gave his heart & this is how we repay him?  I AM PISSED!  I DONT GET IT!  I wouldnt trade my cat for any business reason!  IF IT AINT BROKE DONT FIX IT!  THIS IS THE WORST THANKSGVING EVER!  I am never going to embrace Thome like i would a guy who gave his all for us from the beginning!

Do I feel sorry for a guy making 2 to 3 million dollars a year for playing baseball? Not really.

.241/.379/.535

That right there is Jim Thome's ZiPS projection.

Now, I know a lot of you guys aren't really thrilled with projection systems, and that's fine. Let's throw that to the side for a minute.

Would you be happy if Thome posted this line? Do you expect more?

I think I expect the BA to be closer to .270, but I like those OBP/SLG% numbers. I think the projection above is the floor of what Thome will do for us (so long as he's healthy).

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Nov 25, 2005 -> 06:32 AM)
.241/.379/.535

Now, I know a lot of you guys aren't really thrilled with projection systems, and that's fine.  Let's throw that to the side for a minute.

Would you be happy if Thome posted this line?  Do you expect more?

I think I expect the BA to be closer to .270, but I like those OBP/SLG% numbers.  I think the projection above is the floor of what Thome will do for us (so long as he's healthy).

i wouldn't be that happy with that...he'd have to have some sick power numbers...hmm...i just realized i'm not sure what i'm reading...gawd, i'm a fraud...i've been posing like i knew these stat lines all along

Every time somebody brings up this Dayn Perry character, I always ask myself the same question: Who the hell is Dayn Perry and why should I care what he thinks?

Not to mention, from the looks of his picture, the guy looks like he just came out of a "Right Said Fred" video.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Nov 25, 2005 -> 01:32 AM)
.241/.379/.535

Now, I know a lot of you guys aren't really thrilled with projection systems, and that's fine.  Let's throw that to the side for a minute.

I think I expect the BA to be closer to .270, but I like those OBP/SLG% numbers.  I think the projection above is the floor of what Thome will do for us (so long as he's healthy).

I'm fine with those numbers. You left out the most important projection though, 428 AB's. I'm not fine with that.

Yeah, I know he is, but man, he has no clue.  Pods for Thome?  Thomas instead.  So I guess the Sox are going to wait and see if Frank is healthy in a couple of months, miss all the FA's and then we have Timo at DH.

I can guarantee if Thome went back to the Indians he would be saying that they would be a lock for the WS. Oh damn, he already projected the Sox NOT to even make the playoffs:

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/5050632

Haha, I love this quote:

AL Central — Cleveland Indians

Their late-September choke job notwithstanding, the Indians are primed for a nice run of things in the AL Central. There's a strong hitting core, a capable rotation and a gifted bullpen. Priority number one this winter should be re-signing Kevin Millwood. If that's taken care of, the Indians should claim the flag from the White Sox, who figure to regress in certain areas and will likely be without the services of their best hitter in 2005, Paul Konerko. The key for Cleveland will be whether stealth MVP candidate Jhonny Peralta can repeat his stunning 2005 performance.

He's positive about the Indians re-signing Millwood but then says that the White Sox will likely be without Konerko. Yeah, that's not too biased. :rolly

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Nov 26, 2005 -> 12:11 AM)
Haha, I love this quote:

He's positive about the Indians re-signing Millwood but then says that the White Sox will likely be without Konerko.  Yeah, that's not too biased.  :rolly

Especially when Mr Bora$$ wants 5/50M for his client.

.241/.379/.535

You want to know how stupid those numbers look? I think they just took an average of his 2004 numbers along with his 2005 numbers.

AVG

.274 + .207 = .481

.481 / 2 = .2405 (round up and you get .241)

OBP

.396 + .360 = .756

.756 / 2 = .378

If that's how they actually came up with his 2006 projected numbers, it's pretty lame if you ask me. I agree with you. I expect a .270 AVG, a good OPS, and great power numbers if he's 100% healthy.

Edited by SSH2005

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Nov 25, 2005 -> 08:17 AM)
You want to know how stupid those numbers look?  I think they just took an average of his 2004 numbers along with his 2005 numbers.

AVG

.274 + .207 = .481

.481 / 2 = .2405

Round up .2405 and you get .241

If that's how they actually came up with his 2006 projected numbers, it's pretty lame if you ask me.

Good catch, that is hilarious. His numbers were down all year because he was playing hurt, then decided to get the surgery when the pain was too intense. I personally wouldn't consider any of the stats he had from last season.

His 2004 numbers would be a better projection:

42 HR, 105 RBI, 104BB, 144K, .274 AVG, .396 OBP, .581 SLG

Then you add the Cell factor and I am sure some of those numbers will change slightly:

45 HR, 111 RBI, 106BB, 147K, .272 AVG, .395 OBP, .583 SLG