Official: Konerko Signs With White Sox

knightni

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2242424

Konerko agrees to five-year deal with White Sox

First baseman Paul Konerko and the White Sox have agreed to a five-year, $60 million deal, ESPN.com's Jayson Stark has learned. The deal also includes a limited no-trade clause.

The Baltimore Sun reported Tuesday night that Konerko rejected a five-year, $65 million deal offered by the Orioles.

The other team after Konerko, Los Angeles Angels, reportedly offered a five-year, $60 million contract. The Los Angeles Times reported that Konerko met with Angels officials, including manager Mike Scioscia and general manager Bill Stoneman, in Anaheim on Tuesday.

A source told Stark that the White Sox had recently jumped back into active negotiations with Konerko. And according to another source who has been in frequent contact with the White Sox, the team was simply laying back to let someone else establish Konerko's market value -- with the understanding that if Chicago matched the years and came reasonably close on the dollars, Konerko would re-sign with the White Sox.

:headbang :headbang :headbang

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(spataro51 @ Nov 30, 2005 -> 01:04 PM)
tell me about it. when we got thome i only felt this was half the piece of the puzzle that needed to be in place and now i am even happier. On the score they replayed the grand slam that konerko hit and it gave me the biggest chills.

You need to do something about that signature of yours dude.

QUOTE(Antonio Osuna @ Nov 30, 2005 -> 01:08 PM)
65/5? We overpaid. No way is Konerko worth $13 million a year, objectively.

But with the money bins that medicore relief pitchers arae building today, in the context of the inflated FA market this year we may have actually underpaid.

What took so long?

QUOTE(Iwritecode @ Nov 30, 2005 -> 01:06 PM)
I think there is a chance they still bring Frank back in a platoon role with Thome. Check out their splits. Frank hits better against lefties and Thome hits better against righites.

I don't think KW would ship 2 pretty good pitching prospects plus a major league CF and pay the guy he gets $8 million a year to platoon. Frank Thomas---------he gone.

But with the money bins that medicore relief pitchers arae building today, in the context of the inflated FA market this year we may have actually underpaid.

The article from whitesox.com says 5 yr/$60 M

QUOTE(Antonio Osuna @ Nov 30, 2005 -> 02:08 PM)

Back under your rock with you :crying

Hehe.

Are you still pissed that the Sox won the World Series? Nothing the Sox do will ever make you happy so why bother being a fan?

Konerko >>>>> Carlos Beltran, and look what Beltran got last year.

QUOTE(BFirebird @ Nov 30, 2005 -> 01:11 PM)
Great Job KW!!!  Way to get it done!!!!  Kenny isn't done yet either.  Expect more minor moves.....but usually his minor moves are some of the best in the league.  IE  Loaiza, Iguichi, Uribe, etc.

I think Marte will go and Duque if someone is willing to eat some of that contract, outside of that I think KW is done and he did a GREAT job