Official: Konerko Signs With White Sox

knightni

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Nov 30, 2005 -> 04:19 PM)
I haven't seen enough of his play to judge his defense.  He seemed a major plus in the championship run out there in 2003.

Here's what the ESPN scouts say:

His defense remains a huge plus at spacious Pro Player Stadium. His range allowed the Marlins to get by with Miguel Cabrera and Jeff Conine flanking him for the first four months. Pierre's arm probably precludes him from Gold Glove consideration, but he never gives up on balls in the gap and makes his share of highlight catches. His resemblance to a young Mickey Rivers remains eerie.

No one is a better judge in the White Sox organization right now when it comes to his defense than Ozzie because he's seen him play day to day.

Ozzie has said nothing but good things when it comes to Juan's defense & that goes back to 2003.

Still, here's the question...how much talent do we want to risk dropping in a single offseason, especially when the 2nd guy is basically just a rental-player?

I say we have talent in Anderson. He probably won't put up the best numbers in history, but it won't be that hard for him to generate as many runs as Rowand did last year...and he could very well generate more of them. He's several million dollars cheaper than Pierre. His arbitration clock has already started. His defense is probably pretty close to where Rowand's was. He's faster than Rowand, and has a better throwing arm. He will likely have more power than Rowand.

He'll go through some growing pains if we put him out there, yes, but if we do give him a starting role at any point, we're going to have to live with those growing pains. He won't learn so much in AAA next year that it'll make starting him in the big leagues a risky choice (unlike Owens).

I think Anderson is the smartest option around for CF. Especially given that now we aren't absolutely dying for additional run production from center field...just a mediocre performance (Which is frankly what Rowand gave us with the bat last year) but a good performance on defense.

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Nov 30, 2005 -> 07:33 PM)
http://casdra.com/win_shares/ws_all.php

Aaron Rowand 24

Juan Pierre    23

That's taking into consideration both hitting & fielding.

That is for 2004! lol

Here is 2005:

http://www.hardballtimes.com/winshares/ind...gueLimit=League

Aaron Rowand 19

Juan Pierre 14

Edited by WinninUgly

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Nov 30, 2005 -> 05:21 PM)
Last year he still put up 17 home runs and an .863 OPS outside of the Cell (and that's not counting the fact that he hit 3 postseason home runs on the road), so he's a better hitter at the Cell, but last year he was still pretty darn deadly on the road.  52 RBI at Home, 48 away for PK too.

Konerko had an excellent season last year, i'm not doubting that. it's just outside of the cell he hasn't been a very good player (three year away splits = .248-.324-.432).

Paulie/Thome isn't the best 1-2 punch in baseball until Thome proves he's completely healthy. I think there is a good shot Paulie will put up similar numbers to last year, although I'd expect his RBI total to rise. If Thome is healthy and productive I could see each hitting 40 plus HR's and each knocking in 125 plus.

If thats done it is obviously one of the best 1-2 punches in the game, but I still need to see Thome healthy.

I think Manny/Ortiz or Vladdy/Manny is much more of a sure thing.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Nov 30, 2005 -> 06:01 PM)
what happens in interleague or if, dare i say, the White Sox make it to the World Series again?  it's going to be tough having one of your best hitters on the bench.

Did you see our lineup in the World Series this year? Kinda replace Rowand with Anderson and it'll look a lot like that.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Nov 30, 2005 -> 08:16 PM)
Did you see our lineup in the World Series this year?  Kinda replace Rowand with Anderson and it'll look a lot like that.

thank you captain obvious :P

im just wondering what people think about having one of the top two most important players on the team on the bench.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Nov 30, 2005 -> 06:19 PM)
thank you captain obvious  :P

im just wondering what people think about having one of the top two most important players on the team on the bench.

Ok, more detail.

I think it'll hurt, but it won't be brutal. Yeah, it hurts when you lose a bat like either Thome or Konerko. But first of all...we can win without the big bat in there. And secondly, and perhaps more importantly...having either Thome or Konerko on the bench gives us a chance to do something we really couldn't afford to do at all last year - pinch run for the other guy if he gets on base in the late innings. (I.e. Konerko walks while we're down by 1 run. Harris/Ozuna come in. Steal second. RBI by Dye. Tie game. Thome takes over defense at first.)

Every team from the AL Faces this dilemma in the playoffs. You think the Red Sox like having to play Ortiz at 1b? I sure as heck wouldn't.

I was bummed when I heard about this today. . .because I couldn't join in the revelry here! The CFO sent me an email with just a subject line: "Sox sign Paulie." Apparently he was on the phone with the company president and started laughing and asked the boss if he could hear me screaming, to which the boss said no, why and told him (he lives in Los Angeles). Inspite of living in LA, the company prez hates the Angels so he was happy Paulie stayed with the Sox.

After finishing up with the customer the CFO strolled over and we had a conversation about the signing and potential next moves for the Sox. I then call my mom and then my best friend to let them know.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Nov 30, 2005 -> 11:39 PM)
Holy s***....just got home and heard the news on Chicago Tribune Live and I exploded into glee. Holy s***. KW is THE man! Thome is the man! PK is THE MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I damn near cryed!

I dont get your sig? Why would Valentin who wanted to come back and Clee who got traded be kicking themselves?

Than RJ and Schmidt never said they didnt want to come here so whats the deal w/ that?

Wow, another great day for us White Sox fans in the off-season. No matter what you may think about Paulie not being worth $12M etc., this move put simply just had to be done. He offers a lot more than the stats the he puts up during the season.

What happens now? Probably either we're pretty much done, or we may a move to trade for Pierre or sign Mueller for the #2 spot. But we've got a BIG presence in that middle of the lineup now, and hopefully we won't be seeing as many posters criticize this offense as what we saw this season.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Dec 1, 2005 -> 03:15 AM)
Wow, another great day for us White Sox fans in the off-season. No matter what you may think about Paulie not being worth $12M etc., this move put simply just had to be done. He offers a lot more than the stats the he puts up during the season.

What happens now? Probably either we're pretty much done, or we may a move to trade for Pierre or sign Mueller for the #2 spot. But we've got a BIG presence in that middle of the lineup now, and hopefully we won't be seeing as many posters criticize this offense as what we saw this season.

Dbaho, who typed that pathetic babble about Gio in your sig?

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Dec 1, 2005 -> 03:15 AM)

Would mueller be super sub??

QUOTE(Jimbo's Drinker @ Dec 1, 2005 -> 08:20 PM)
Would mueller be super sub??

Probably, he can play 2nd as well, so he gives you an option there as well.

Reading the main Trib article on the Kong re-signing I saw that they're going to try Uribe 1st in the #2 spot, so Gooch is pretty much assured to be hitting lower down the order, which gives you even more of an increase in power.

Alex Cintron could be a possible trade option as well for that INF spot, plus he's a switch hitter, and the Sox have had interest in him before. With Royce Clayton leaving, I don't know if Josh Byrnes will give him up though, but Stephen Drew could be ready by mid 2006 anyways.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Nov 30, 2005 -> 06:39 PM)
Kareer OBP

Thome -- .408

Kong -- .349

I don't Kare where he hits it, Thome should always be in front of Konerko...

I think we can put this discussion to bed for a while - did everyone read the Trib this morning?

I agree with Thome hitting 3rd... but more importantly, so does Ozzie. As quoted today in the Trib, Oz wants Thome-Konerko-Dye in 3-4-5. Thome is the best OBP guy on the team, not to mention a fly-ball hitter (sac flies) and a huge RBI guy all around. Good call, Ozzie.

Probably, he can play 2nd as well, so he gives you an option there as well.

Reading the main Trib article on the Kong re-signing I saw that they're going to try Uribe 1st in the #2 spot, so Gooch is pretty much assured to be hitting lower down the order, which gives you even more of an increase in power.

Alex Cintron could be a possible trade option as well for that INF spot, plus he's a switch hitter, and the Sox have had interest in him before. With Royce Clayton leaving, I don't know if Josh Byrnes will give him up though, but Stephen Drew could be ready by mid 2006 anyways.

Uribe would see a lot more fastballs batting in front of either Thome or Konerko so his numbers would likely improve batting second. I still don't think I like the idea because he's a low OBP guy and a horrible base-stealer.