joeynach

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(YASNY @ Dec 15, 2005 -> 03:25 PM)
If the shoe fits ...

:)

but in all honesty, there are numerous of other reporters who works for the sports magazines have said that alot of the trades that kw has made were in the other teams favor. that being said esp with these last 3 trades, kw went out and address holes that the sox have. sometimes it is good to over pay in trades, if the key element is what is needed.

i like the final outcome of the trades, but i am wondering if he could have gotten more, or was there another option. which gets me back to what i said. when kw gets fixated on a player yadda yadda .........

QUOTE(LDF @ Dec 15, 2005 -> 09:53 AM)
:)

but in all honesty, there are numerous of other reporters who works for the sports magazines have said that alot of the trades that kw has made were in the other teams favor. that being said esp with these last 3 trades, kw went out and address holes that the sox have. sometimes it is good to over pay in trades, if the key element is what is needed.

i like the final outcome of the trades, but i am wondering if he could have gotten more, or was there another option. which gets me back to what i said. when kw gets fixated on a player yadda yadda .........

Links????? Please

Every story I have seen says that we won out on all of the moves. So please, enlighten me with your sources.

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Dec 15, 2005 -> 06:54 PM)
what did Vizcaino do to our bullpen that made it so good.  And getting rid of Marte is addition by subtraction.

mlb, espn, fox sports, cbs anaylsis of trades, let alone some sports writer

all mention that the trade favored the other team, but in they know why kw did the trade.

i guess most are judging on 2 levels, talent vs talent and then as a side note, how it will effect the team. i don't know, that is how i am reading it.

QUOTE(LDF @ Dec 15, 2005 -> 01:39 PM)

all mention that the trade favored the other team, but in they know why kw did the trade.

i guess most are judging on 2 levels, talent vs talent and then as a side note, how it will effect the team. i don't know, that is how i am reading it.

1-Learn the quote button.

2-doesnt mean anything without links-espn buster olney says he likes the trade, the sportsnation vote said we won the trade. Marriotti, Phil Rogers, Yahoo, roto, they all like the trade. Please show me your articles please, thanks.

QUOTE(LDF @ Dec 15, 2005 -> 01:39 PM)

MLB.com article link

hmmm doesnt sound like they think its a bad trade

Buster Olney of ESPN LInk

article is titled in Kenny we Trust

ESPN main article Link

Here is a piece from an insider article from ESPN.com

"Diamondbacks trade Javier Vazquez to the White Sox for Orlando Hernandez, Luis Vizcaino and outfield prospect Chris Young: A tremendous trade for the defending champs, who essentially deal off a broken down, aged swingman, a failed closer and a prospect with potential for a safe 220-inning pitcher. The White Sox won the World Series with pitching and the best rotation in the game. Vazquez slots in as potentially the best No. 5 starter in the game."

http://insider.espn.go.com/fantasy/basebal...tory?id=2259031

Here is a radio clip of Jayson Stark who loves the move

Stark

Here is an article from the New York times' Jack Curry who like the moves

Link

Shall I continue with your sources?

CBS analysis of trades rates the last one as in favor of the white sox

CBS

Fox Sports: Headline:Gm giving sox another shot at title

Link

I think thats enough for now, let me know if you want to quote any more phantom sources.

QUOTE(LDF @ Dec 15, 2005 -> 11:39 AM)

In the end all that matters is the W/L. Kenny's deals really paid off and he's a fair trader. Two years ago everyone was saying we gave up too much for Freddy, they aren't seeing that now. We absolutely reamed the Yanks when we got Contreras.

Kenny makes deals and everytime they make sense. The Vazquez deal was odd, but it makes sense from the financial standpoint and for the reasons that it will take less pressure off the Sox and put more on guys like Contreras and Garland.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Dec 15, 2005 -> 06:46 PM)
In the end all that matters is the W/L.  Kenny's deals really paid off and he's a fair trader.  Two years ago everyone was saying we gave up too much for Freddy, they aren't seeing that now.  We absolutely reamed the Yanks when we got Contreras. 

Kenny makes deals and everytime they make sense.  The Vazquez deal was odd, but it makes sense from the financial standpoint and for the reasons that it will take less pressure off the Sox and put more on guys like Contreras and Garland.

That is one of the most important things. He doesn't try to rob other GMs and he does try to make fair trades for both teams. It seems to me that most times he looks to make the trade good for both sides. That will have the GMs he has traded with wanting to trade with him again.

Not sure who the writer is, but he's from MSNBC and has some very nice things to say about our offseason:

White Sox even better after offseason moves

GM Williams bolsters World Series champs' roster with big-time deals

ASK THE BASEBALL EXPERT

By Tony DeMarco

Contributor

NBCSports.com contributor

Updated: 7:09 p.m. ET Dec. 15, 2005

Kenny Williams and the Chicago White Sox no longer have the advantage of sneaking up on everybody. Then again, they probably won’t need it. With four moves – so far - this off-season, Williams has made a World Series sweep winner even better.

This isn’t just a fine-tuning. This very well may become the new way to defend a title – aggressively and dramatically, where change is good, and more change is even better. See a hole, fix it in a big way. Don’t think the same roster mix can win it all again? Then alter it with eye-opening moves that increase but don’t bust open a payroll.

If this works, Williams will cement his place in the game’s ever-changing executive hierarchy, in which only he and a handful of others can claim a championship. What he’s done already this off-season has many willing to praise him for trying.

The latest strike was outmaneuvering a handful of teams – all of which had a greater need – for Javier Vazquez, and at least temporarily, setting up the game’s best starting rotation. As if Mark Buehrle, Jon Garland, Freddy Garcia and Jose Contreras weren’t enough (and we haven’t even gotten to the potential of Brandon McCarthy), Williams has added another 200-inning, double-figure winner for little off the big-league roster.

Orlando ‘El Duque’ Hernandez, who admits to 36 and could be 40, didn’t have a place in the Sox’s projected rotation, and has thrown only 456 innings in the last four seasons, with a high of 146 in 2003. Luis Vizcaino was the fourth right-hander in the bullpen, effective against right-handed hitters, but not so much against left-handers. The key to the deal is centerfield prospect Chris Young, slated for Triple-A, whose speed and power have drawn comparisons to Mike Cameron. And Williams even received a couple million dollars in the deal.

The logical assumption is that Williams will move either Contreras or Garland – both eligible for free agency after this season – for anything from a superstar in Miguel Tejada, to a package of young talent, to something in between, like, say, a bat from the Texas Rangers, who don’t have one starter in their rotation who could fit as the No. 5 in Chicago.

That other bat will only help an offense that needs it, and with the impending emergence of McCarthy (3-2, 1.69 in seven starts after his July 30th recall), the rotation shouldn’t suffer a bit if he steps in. Then again, Williams could hang onto all six starters, and see how things shake out this spring, when the added distraction of the World Baseball Classic will play out.

Two earlier moves also addressed an offense that finished ninth in the league in runs, eighth in slugging percentage and OPS, 11th in on-base percentage and 12th in batting average. You knew they had to do whatever it took to keep Paul Konerko, and they did – five years and $60 million. Losing their best power and RBI threat (81 HR, 217 RBI in 2004-05) would have been disastrous.

And you knew they were going to get an upgrade at designated hitter, and they should accomplish that with Jim Thome for Aaron Rowand and two pitching prospects. A healthy Thome – and the assumption is that he will be - should top Everett’s .251-23-87 numbers, and could even match the combined Everett-Frank Thomas contributions (.245-35-113) with none of the clubhouse distractions. And again, Williams got a big chunk of change - $22 million - coming back to almost cut in half their long-term obligation to Thome.

With Joe Crede’s back concerns, and at least some trepidation about rookie Brian Anderson taking over in center, Williams found an insurance policy for both in the same player – Rob Mackowiak. In fact, Mackowiak can play anywhere except pitcher, catcher and shortstop, and will represent another left-handed threat in a right-handed-dominant lineup. He came for Damaso Marte, a dynamic arm who found his way into manager Ozzie Guillen’s doghouse – and the Sox still have their best four options in the bullpen – Bobby Jenks, Dustin Hermanson, Neal Cotts and Cliff Politte.

The payroll will jump to around $95-$100-million, and there are definite risks in Thome’s health and the rookie Anderson in center. But Williams – with approval from owner Jerry Reinsdorf – sees the opportunity for the decade’s first repeat, and boldly is going after it. The odds are against him, but he has shortened them with an eventful off-season.

QUOTE(KevHead0881 @ Dec 15, 2005 -> 09:52 PM)
Not sure who the writer is, but he's from MSNBC and has some very nice things to say about our offseason:

4th line buddy....

White Sox even better after offseason moves

GM Williams bolsters World Series champs' roster with big-time deals

ASK THE BASEBALL EXPERT

By Tony DeMarco

Contributor

NBCSports.com contributor

Updated: 7:09 p.m. ET Dec. 15, 2005

Edited by SoxFan1