Wille Harris & Timo Perez=Gone

AddisonStSox

QUOTE(TheBigHurt @ Dec 20, 2005 -> 03:43 PM)
Timo I can obviously see, but you'll really have to tell me why everyone is happy that Willie's gone, cuz I don't see what's so great about losing him.

He is too stubborn to accept that he is a bench player and he wouldn't go to the DWL to learn to play SS.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(fathom @ Dec 20, 2005 -> 12:35 PM)
Ozuna knows how to slap the ball and take advantage of his speed.  He also knows he's not a home run hitter.  Willie never did learn how to take advantage of his speed (which I still claim that he's not as fast as people think he is).  As a matter of fact, I'd bet that Ozuna is faster than Willie.

Ozuna may be faster than Pods. The guy is lightning quick.

Hmm Kenny is making room for more players. Borchard is an upgrade over Perez IMO. Widger and Pablo remain, while Mackowiak can play all OF possitions + 2B- so he is an upgrade defensively over Willie. However, we will miss Willie's speed. And how can we forget his winning run to bring home the title ;)

QUOTE(TheBigHurt @ Dec 20, 2005 -> 01:43 PM)
Timo I can obviously see, but you'll really have to tell me why everyone is happy that Willie's gone, cuz I don't see what's so great about losing him.

How would arbitration work with a player like Willie? Didn't I read somewhere a few weeks ago that there is a minimum salary that people will earn if they go through the arbitration process?

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Dec 20, 2005 -> 10:30 AM)
And Timo will always be remembered for some clutch hitting and Hawk freakin' out as Timo ran the bases. 

Come on Timo!Come on Timo!Come on Timo. One of Hawks classic calls.

Im pissed why are we letting two future hall of famers go for nothing.

Edited by HoosierSox

Latest News Dec. 21, 2005 - 12:42 am et

The White Sox have reportedly decided to non-tender Willie Harris, Timo Perez and Felix Diaz.

They're not going to make it official until the morning. Diaz is being included since he's out of options and was going to be sent through waivers in the spring anyway.

Source:  whitesox.mlb.com

Jon Adkins was also non-tendered. :crying

Edited by SSH2005

Willie Harris will easily get a bench job somewhere around the league. For example, here are the OBP's of the bottom 5 qualified 2Bmen in 2005.

Cano - .320

Cantu - .311

Soriano - .309

Reyes - .300

Perez - .298

Mark Grudzielanek gets $4M from the Royals in 2006. Sure he hit .294 this past season, but he only had an OBP of .334. Willie had an OBP of .343 in 2004 and .333 in 2005. Just saying that compared to other teams who had to put up with the likes of Luis Rivas for a few seasons, Willie would actually be more valuable to another team, even though we all know he's got (here's a Soxtalk favorite) "the NOODLE arm".

Timo, well we were all hoping for this move for really the last 2 seasons. Let's hope Borch can hit at least .200, with a bit more power and hopefully be a good pinch hitter with a good BA/RISP.

Felix Diaz, well the Sox handled him terribly, and a team looking for a 5th starter e.g the Dodgers may take a little look at him. He'll definitely get at least a MLC from someone though.

The Southtown is reporting the White Sox were going to tender Harris.

Hmmm...

http://www.dailysouthtown.com/southtown/ds.../pro/211sd8.htm

The Sox had until 11 p.m. Tuesday night to offer contracts to Garland, third baseman Joe Crede, utility player Rob Mackowiak, outfielder Timo Perez and infielder Willie Harris, who are all arbitration eligible. A source said Garland, Crede, Mackowiak and Harris were each offered deals. The club will make an official announcement today.